electrolysis setup questions

dunno/Biklion post

Ya maybe your wright,can't understand your spelling,like dunno on your last post,the link you posted,i guess you didn't comprehend,and you did not understand what i was tring to tell you .I GIVE UP

As the original poster of this thread, my thread was regarding the link I had posted.

In all fairness both stainless and non-stainless materials will work. That's what matters. And I am not picking sides, because frankly I don't care. But I would like to make a comment on the little zing's back and forth at the end here...

When it comes to spelling, "dunno" I believe to be more understandable than words like "wright", "reck", "pamplet", "musium", and using "backing" instead of "baking". :D Again, like the stainless argument, everyone has their own way of doing things. So maybe we can go back to the original post.

Thread

More than enough has been posted on other threads on a Electroylsis on this forum,see prior pages before you start a duplicate thread,when people are wrong i tell them,thats me,i won't post here anymore,on this duplicate subject,you guys know it all anyway,CYA

More than enough has been posted on other threads on a Electroylsis on this forum,see prior pages before you start a duplicate thread,when people are wrong i tell them,thats me,i won't post here anymore,on this duplicate subject,you guys know it all anyway,CYA

Duplicate thread? You find me where this thread is a duplicate. My original post is asking about a specific link, for a specific setup. Hence the reason for this thread. I have no problem with you telling people who are wrong, they're wrong, but back it up with facts.

Also, there was no need for your out right rudeness. "Who care's what you believe,everyone knows to use Stainless Steel,maybe you should use Platinum LOL ", which started the back and forth between you two.

No one said stainless isn't what the professionals use, no one said stainless wasn't the way to go. But the fact of the matter is, there is a downside to using stainless, as with everything else.

Header thread posted by Outwardjourney

Your Header was Electroylsis set up Questions,sorry didn't look at the link attached,just tring to help with what i new about this subject,i am not rude however,i do have a sense of humor when someone that tells me Stainless steel can't be used,not you,maybe you can tell him,it can be used, sense he never gives up,i rest my case,outwardjourney happy hunting,looked at your header on your thread,thought you needed help,my mistake,Earl

I do need help, I am new to electrolysis and the setup styles available. That's why I was asking because I need a step by step guide and wanted to see if the link I attached was a reasonable one to follow.

I do appreciate your input greatly, as with everyone elses as well. Just thought we were getting a little off-topic. lol

I never looked at the link but most all sites/links/info is about the same.

You need a DC voltage and current. A battery charger would make a decent power supply but will have some ripple in it. The smoother the DC the better. Using one 12 volt car battery (or two in series) will work fine and give you nice smooth DC current.

In regard to DC current regulation....that can be handled by an adjustable power supply or by adjusting the distance betwen the object and the plates. The more distance, the more resistance and, hence, the less current.

Electrolysis for crud/rust removel isn't as critical as electroplating so you can fudge in many directions and get good results.

If you do opt to use stainless steel then please be aware that it will create hex-chrome and the solution then becomes a bio and environmental hazard. Disposing of said solution properly then becomes your problem. It shouldn't be dumped in city sewer or storm sewer. Using steel eliminates that concern though it does require you to wipe the plates from time to time to clear the surface.

I was thinking of using the rebar surrounding the bucket... it's cheap, just a pain to cut. lol

this is mainly to be used for rust removal of old relics and heavy iron items like railroad spikes.

I was thinking of using the rebar surrounding the bucket... it's cheap, just a pain to cut. lol

this is mainly to be used for rust removal of old relics and heavy iron items like railroad spikes.

You can get discs for steel cutting that will fit a regular circular saw. Same discs they use in chop/cutoff saws.

I understand what you're doing. I do the same but I use steel plate because it's free scrap from work.

well besides all the other things that were said on this one. I use a small bucket, warm salt water, a car battery charger, and a peice of regular steel about 1/2in thick, 5in long and 2 1/2in wide. It seems to work pretty well. good luck.

Ray

Sorry to revive this thread but I find it incredible that anybody would use stainless in the process of home Electrolysis knowing what the risks are.
Not only to themselves but IF its dumped down the drain, the dangers posed to those who live off that water table.

Stainless Steel, Chrome Molly, and a few select other metals give off Chromium Hexavalents which are very bad for your skin and lungs.
You are required by OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) to wear either a respirator or positive pressure ventilation system while welding such materials or using electrolysis with such materials.

The amount you can breath as far as OSHA's regulations is less than 5 parts per million with out needing a respirator.
In welding, the moment you create an arc and touch said materials you are immediately above 5 parts per million and it goes way up from there.
Electrolysis is even worse. Not only does the ppm count get higher for longer as a gas but the it DOES create very harmful waste products that you cannot dump properly at home.

Anybody remember Erin Brockovic? The towns water supply was contaminated by Hex-Chromium..........same stuff as your dumping down the drain.

I guess you can do what you want to your own health and home, but when you start dumping poisonous chromium down the drain it becomes a problem for all of us.

Just don't do it.:no:

Test,

I read somewhere not to use copper. I obviously don't have an answer for you but wanted to keep the link going so we can get some more info. I found this site below through a search. It mentions not using copper as well. I am no way affiliated with this site, I just found it to be very informative

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

I tried my own setup last night and realized I was doing a few things wrong now. I wasn't using Arm & Hammer WASHING soda, instead I was using Arm & Hammer Baking Soda. I am trying to find the right anode now that I read up a little more on it. Everyone has their own way which is great, we learn a lot from others. I thank you for your contributing posts!:grin:

baking soda WILL work. I use baking soda, and you just add a bit more of it. It contains the same ingredients. But if you have a LOT of baking soda and you plan on really going to town with electrolysis you can turn baking soda into "washing soda" by baking it.

Do your research, but essentially baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, which means it is one more carbon than washing soda (sodium carbonate or soda ash). If you bake baking soda in an oven it releases carbon dioxide (DO in well ventilated area) removing the carbon making it sodium carbonate or washing soda.

Check out this link for instructions
http://www.ehow.com/how_5598724_make-washing-soda-baking-soda.html

btw, the 'do your research' comment isn't meant to be mean or rude, I was saying that because I was going to give instructions on baking it, but decided to provide a link instead of posting instructions.

As the original poster of this thread, my thread was regarding the link I had posted.

In all fairness both stainless and non-stainless materials will work. That's what matters. And I am not picking sides, because frankly I don't care. But I would like to make a comment on the little zing's back and forth at the end here...

When it comes to spelling, "dunno" I believe to be more understandable than words like "wright", "reck", "pamplet", "musium", and using "backing" instead of "baking". :D Again, like the stainless argument, everyone has their own way of doing things. So maybe we can go back to the original post.

I think it looks like he knows what he is doing. I have been doing it with a radio shack variable amp. dc supply 12 volt and I also have a big regulated 12 volt dc power supply for larger items. The smaller variable amp works great for 99% of what I work with. I have found with coins to use the least amps to start and only increase if you have to.
Distilled water,TB. spoon of lemon juice and half t-spoon of salt for general use.Always clean by hand with tooth brush with baking soda afterwards to kill the acid and a light rub with car wax when done.
Copper anode for copper and aluminum anode for silver.
Distilled water and a TB. spoon or two of Vinegar for silver, if the first general use solution doesn't clean like you want.
The anode will corrode as will the clip holding the coin, so I use a sacrificial clip to hold them and change it out when it looks like it is ate up. I clean the anode after every use.

I think it looks like he knows what he is doing. I have been doing it with a radio shack variable amp. dc supply 12 volt and I also have a big regulated 12 volt dc power supply for larger items. The smaller variable amp works great for 99% of what I work with. I have found with coins to use the least amps to start and only increase if you have to.
Distilled water,TB. spoon of lemon juice and half t-spoon of salt for general use.Always clean by hand with tooth brush with baking soda afterwards to kill the acid and a light rub with car wax when done.
Copper anode for copper and aluminum anode for silver.
Distilled water and a TB. spoon or two of Vinegar for silver, if the first general use solution doesn't clean like you want.
The anode will corrode as will the clip holding the coin, so I use a sacrificial clip to hold them and change it out when it looks like it is ate up. I clean the anode after every use.

You know, I never thought about distilled water... I know my water has a higher mineral content than I'd like. Wonder if that might cause issues...

"They" want us to use distilled water in our car batteries for a reason and it must have something to do with minerals in the water being a bad thing and electrolysis taking place.

I've been using filtered water... but it's filtered tap. It works fine, but I am always looking for 'better'. lol

Back
Top Bottom