College questions.

Collin1776

Hey all. So I just graduated high school and am preparing myself to go to community college next year, Schoolcraft to be specific. I have a lot of questions because honestly I have absolutely no idea about college I’ve never really been informed and have just done my school work. My dream would be to make Revolutionary War films about untold stories and I’d like any type of degree that would help me in that department. Also a degree that can get my a job while I chase the endeavor of war films. Any classes you guys would recommend that would help me make those films?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeeezzz man, that's a tough question, but it sounds like you would be looking at classes in journalism and film making, history classes would be right up your alley, throw in some tech classes for video editing, some marketing classes, etc... Have you tried shooting and editing anything on your own and posting on youtube yet?

No but I’ve written small scripts and read into a lot of stories about extraordinary people and situations in the Revolution. I feel the Revolution doesn’t have enough exposure when it comes to things like films, shows, skits, etc. So it’s an untapped market and I’m sure there’s a lot of history nerds who want to see some just as bad as I do! I’d like to start eventually making short mini films possibly on some but that’s a long term goal. Thanks for your answer by the way it helps a lot.

I just checked their web site at http://www.schoolcraft.edu/ and they don't seem to have any courses in cinematography, but you could email or call them and ask.

Just doing a search online for a community college course in cinematography I found this as an example of the type of course it seems you might be looking for -

https://www.glendale.edu/academics/degree-certificate-programs/certificate-programs/cinematography-and-editing

now that college is not near you, I just shared it as an example as to the type of course to see if that was what you were looking for as far as the type of course.

Hey thanks for the response and taking your time to look for me. I’ve seen the graphic art classes and there are some history classes so I’ll have to make sure to get those

It's also possible to take your basic classes (English, Math, etc.) at the community college and then transfer to a regular college/University that offers the areas of study that you want.

It's also possible to take your basic classes (English, Math, etc.) at the community college and then transfer to a regular college/University that offers the areas of study that you want.

My brother did that. He got as many transferable credits at Northern Virginia Community College, then went to Virginia Tech for his Mathematics degree. Saved a bunch of money that way.

-- Tom

Also a degree that can get my a job while I chase the endeavor of war films.

Anything with engineer in the title, Chemical, electrical,or mechanical it doesn't matter. Anything in the medical field would be good to. Your first year at community college just worry about getting your required classes out of the way. You have a long time to decide what you want to be when you grow up.

It has been said:

Major in what will allow you to earn a good living.
Minor in what you love.

Too many kids today get student loans at 60k a year to major in some lib arts program that will never earn them enough money to ever pay back their student loans. Let's face it, there is little chance of earning a comfortable living with an Art History, English Lit, or X Studies degree.

STEM fields are where the money is at.

Want to know where the big money lies in the future of business? Blockchain technology. You have an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of something that will revolutionize the way business is done. That or engineering of some sort.

It has been said:

Major in what will allow you to earn a good living.
Minor in what you love.

Too many kids today get student loans at 60k a year to major in some lib arts program that will never earn them enough money to ever pay back their student loans. Let's face it, there is little chance of earning a comfortable living with an Art History, English Lit, or X Studies degree.

STEM fields are where the money is at.

This is true.
My daughter has a degree in Nursing and Now works at a Prestigious hospital making VERY good Money.
Her Husband whom she met in College got a degree in Art and landed a job at a Paint store.. hmm.. Well after watching his wife make the big bucks doing what she loved..
he took out MORE student loans and got his degree in Nursing too..

NOW he is making Big bucks like her and LOVES it too.. Bottom line He could of saved a fortune had he done that from the get go.. but in the end it all worked out for the best with the exception of 15 years of Student Loans.
and he still Paints in his limited free time.

Want to know where the big money lies in the future of business? Blockchain technology. You have an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of something that will revolutionize the way business is done. That or engineering of some sort.

Until the next technology comes in to replace it - which at the current rate of tech expansion isn't as far away is may seem.

The best thing to do - advanced degree in statistics. Statistics is the basis of AI and deep learning. Programming is much easier to learn than higher math. If you are smart enough to learn the higher math, the programming is comparatively easy.

Anything with engineer in the title, Chemical, electrical,or mechanical it doesn't matter. Anything in the medical field would be good to. Your first year at community college just worry about getting your required classes out of the way. You have a long time to decide what you want to be when you grow up.

Sanitation engineer is probably the one exception to the above. :D

Sanitation engineer is probably the one exception to the above. :D

Are you Kidding.. do you know what a Garbage man..err I mean Sanitation Engineer.. makes a year with overtime?

I know all States are Different but in California it is a pretty good job and with Retirement Benefits even better.

https://www.ocregister.com/2010/11/24/forget-100k-execs-what-about-85k-garbage-men/

I have seen this personally. as I worked for Waste Management in California as a Regional IT Manager for 12 years.

When Management tried to get them to go on 401k instead of Retirement.. Management got shot down VERY quickly.

Are you Kidding.. do you know what a Garbage man..err I mean Sanitation Engineer.. makes a year with overtime?

I know all States are Different but in California it is a pretty good job and with Retirement Benefits even better.

https://www.ocregister.com/2010/11/24/forget-100k-execs-what-about-85k-garbage-men/

I have seen this personally. as I worked for Waste Management in California as a Regional IT Manager for 12 years.

When Management tried to get them to go on 401k instead of Retirement.. Management got shot down VERY quickly.

My answer was in reference to Scooter's reply to the OP. To be a Sanitation Engineer does not require a College Degree.

Back
Top Bottom