South Florida Experiment

Joetrikke

My fellow beach and water hunters, I need your help. I am conducting an experiment in south Florida, on the movement of targets in the water and wet sand. The targets will be from Lake Worth to Fort Lauderdale Beach. Starting north and I will work my way south. I do not know what to call this experiment so anyone that is good at naming stuff like this let me know.

Here is the experiment. I am putting targets of various size, shape, and weight along the beaches in the water and wet sand. The targets will be placed from the high tide line out to roughly chest deep at low tide. I will document the date and placement to each target. Each target will have engraved on it a unique number and instructions.

Here is an example “Txt 5615732462 with location, date, #24. The more specific the Information the better (like: chest deep directly in front of lifeguard tower #2 Boca Raton. 1-2 foot waves, strong easterly breeze, low tide).

Also I ask please put the target back where it was found so the study can continue. I plan on keeping a log for each site to include daily surf reports from Surfline.com so I will know when there was bigger surf ect.

So far I have engraved two rings (junk rings, don’t get too excited) some coin sized tokens, some odd shape costume jewelry also a bunch of brass one inch round tags. Now I know that they are not the exact weight and size of a quarter but it will give a general idea of what is going on.

Once I start collecting data I plan on starting a private Facebook group and will publish the findings. So if you are interested. Message me. Also please let your detecting club and buddies know the more information the better. If you are not into this experiment and you find a test target please just put it back. Thanks in advance for your help and Happy Hunting!

The HUGE problem with your experiment is there are many many detectorists that are not on any website. They are going to keep your targets.

You also have folks on plenty of other websites you will have to notify. I don't think you are going to be pleased with the results.

The HUGE problem with your experiment is there are many many detectorists that are not on any website. They are going to keep your targets.

You also have folks on plenty of other websites you will have to notify. I don't think you are going to be pleased with the results.

I am aware there are many not on any websites and I fully expect to lose some targets. The brass tags will have pretty clear instruction on them so hopefully I will get at least some feed back. Anyway still going to give it a shot.

Good luck with the experiment. Best bet is to head to a non-popular beach and then bike or walk about a mile from the nearest parking lot.

A similar test was done years ago, a hunter had a hundred lead rings made up. It's over on Fxxxmxxx from several years ago...........................search lead rings, harvdog42

Ask me about metal detecting in 2010 I can remember every detail...:oldguy: Ask me about anything else in 2010, I can't remember :?:..

Attachments

• Surf Salt.jpg
    Surf Salt.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 433
A similar test was done years ago, a hunter had a hundred lead rings made up. It's over on Fxxxmxxx from several years ago...........................search lead rings, harvdog42

Ask me about metal detecting in 2010 I can remember every detail...:oldguy: Ask me about anything else in 2010, I can't remember :?:..

Thanks! Reading it now.

Interesting excitement, be nice to get some hits and info back

Good luck with that. An exercise in futility if you ask me. Many targets will get picked up and you will never hear about them. Many targets will never even get found. A lot of beaches get renourished and your targets will be buried. I believe your tests area is too big to determine any kind of a pattern. You could get conflicting results in the same location depending on the time of year that your targets get placed in the water, and when they get found. It would take a very long time and you would have to get lots of accurate information back from people, before you would get any kind of useful results. A hurricane or tropical storm could push your targets in any crazy direction that has nothing to do with the natural flow of water and sand on our coast. Precious metals tend to pretty much stay right where they fell in the water anyway. What exactly are you hoping to learn from this?

That was a good read, thanks for the link!

Treasure Beaches Report website posted this recently. It is a good read that might help you. http://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com/2018/04/42518-report-understanding-factors.html One thing I have learned is targets migrate in a southward direction on the east coast US. A ring lost years ago might surface miles away. Good luck with your experiment.

Hey thanks for the link! I love that blog, lots of great information. I have actually been in contact with him, he gave me some excellent advise and suggestions on how to conduct the study.

I know that it will not be easy, some of the tags will not be found, others that are some folks may not bother to report them but... I believe that I will get some feedback. I know hunters at the beaches that I selected that are retired and hunt the same areas every day, some twice a day. So I do not think that this experiment will be "futile".

I placed several targets yesterday at Lake Worth. I started at the pier and headed north. Some were placed right inside the water and some chest deep and some as far as I could throw them. After less then three hours on my way back to my car I checked on two just inside and they had moved approximately 20 feet south.

I usually hunt in Juno or the Treasure Coast but I've been meaning to travel a little further south...so if I find any I'll be sure to let you know

Back
Top Bottom