Help with trip to West Palm Beach, FL

Beef

I may be able to get down to West Palm Beach, Fl and spend two full days metal detecting during the last week of January. Have any of you been down to "The Treasure Coast?" I would have to travel north an hour or two. Is this a good idea? Do I need any permissions or permits to metal detect on these beaches? Are there any restrictions with regard to times?

Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated and welcomed.

Beef

Many Spanish Galleon shipwreck coins are found in the area, but there are some areas that you can't hunt the water (just beaches to the water line) because the wrecks are protected by admiralty claims leased to salvaging companies. Those areas are supposed to be well posted, so keep an eye out for them. If you can get your hands on a copy of, "Hurricane Treasure; 1715 Beach Sites Locations revealed" it will give you some nice hints as to where to hunt along with the above warnings and a few others. The book was compiled by Kevin Reilly, Gary T. Rowe and Kevin Maranville. Most of these locations are a little south of West Palm Beach, in the Melborne area and around Sebastian Inlet.

Thank you for this excellent advice. I just ordered the book.

Good beach hunting around West Palm but there are restrictions around Sebastion

Well, I wont be going down in January but I have my trip booked in March. I'll be staying in Vero Beach. Since I'm going with my wife, I need to be flexible so I can't commit to joining Low Tide Tim for any significant amount of time. But I appreciate the offer.

Meanwhile I have read the 1715 Hurricane Treasure Book front to back twice, and it clears up everything for me. I'm glad that I even have an extra month to do research.

So thanks to everybody. I'm grateful for your help.

Back
Top Bottom