Handheld GPS Purchase Advice

13rannon

Elite Member
Hello guys,

I'm in the market for a handheld GPS. I was wondering if one or more of you guys in the know could steer me in the right direction,

Features that I am looking for include accuracy, durability, and the most detailed maps. I spelunk, metal detect, ride atv's and do some off trail hiking.

I want to be able to use my GPS in heavily forested areas that are way off the beaten bath and be able to save waypoints so that I am able to return to caves, structures, geo features, and anything else I may run across out in the wild.

Price: Somewhere under 1000$

Several years ago I was in the same quandary as you. I did some research and ended up with a Garmin 60CSX. I paid around $450 if I remember correctly. That unit is now in The $200- $250 range. I bought the Garmin after researching the units because of all the aftermarket software and maps available. There are newer GPS's available just like all electronic stuff that I'm sure have more bells and whistles. This link is full of useful.http://gpsinformation.net/

Thanks for your reply Ferrous.

I'll look into that model. I've heard a lot of good things about Garmin.

On your Garmin 60CSX were you able to purchase and load old maps ?

I used a Magellan while in Iraq, still have it actually and have been thinking about digging it out of storage to use while MDing.

I googled Magellan and the model I have wasn't on there but the new ones look pretty nice.

My dad and uncle both have Magellan handhelds. I've lost count how many times we have ended up lost in the woods now with those things. I have a Magellan car gps and it is constantly having trouble navigating ETN backroads.

Garmin 60CSX has some great reviews. I've been reading about it and the Garmin 62S today. I am leaning towards the 62S, but a Garmin 60CSX @194.00 with free shipping is hard to pass up. I've also thought about the Rino 530. They have some really neat gps devices now.

I ended up picking out a Garmin 60CSx at Bass Pro Shop today.

They have a package that is $220 and includes..

Garmin 60CSx GPS
Topo US 100K DVD
128MB Micro SD Card
Carrying Case
Belt Clip
Lanyard
Manual/Quick Start Guide
USB Cable

Even though it was advertised coming with the 128MB SD Card when I opened up mine it had a 1GB.

I'll probably upgrade to the 62s fairly quickly, but this will do for now. I just wasn't ready to pull the trigger on a $400 GPS only package that was the 62s.

IMO there wasn't enough difference between the 62s and the 60CSx to justify the price gap.

Thanks to everyone that shared their info on GPS units.

Happy Thanksgiving.

i personally have a Magellan Triton 400.
i did have a bit of a firmware issue with it but that's since been corrected and it's a great GPS, easy to use and quite accurate. i use it mainly for geocaching but will also be using it with the MD hobby too.
regardless of which brand or model you eventually buy, always carry spare batteries with you and have, at the very least, some knowledge of where you are just in case you do end up with dead batteries or you drop the GPS or anything like that. as with ANYthing electronic, stuff happens and it's nice to know where you are and be prepared. (carry a compass, map, etc...)

i don't know about uploading "old" maps in any of the hand helds. seems like they want to sell people "new" maps but it may be possible to find older maps on the net and save them into the unit via your computer.
i can save my trails and add them to my own mapping software and if i want, i can just go to my software and load in the ones in for the area that i expect to be going to. some of the better units are quite versatile that way (mine takes an SD card, others take the micro sd cards) and you can get a pretty good one for $300-500, color screens and oodles of user options.
try magellangps.com

Pete :)

Good choice...the 60Csx is a great unit... you may never 'need' another. Yes, you may 'want' some improved features, but the Csx is all you will 'need'. RickO

What I like about the 62s is the map overlay function and the custom trails maker.

You're right though. I don't need that, but it would be more interesting.

Back
Top Bottom