College questions.

I often think I am in the wrong line of business when I read that the trash men/women are earning that kind of $, but then I remember that tomorrow I can wake up at nine thirty or so and enjoy my coffee and work at my own pace and still do pretty well.
The sooner people realize that in life the happier they could be...

You want to make films about the Revolutionary War. OK, here's what I think.

Use community college to knock off the general ed (<200 level) courses cheap (or even free in some states), then move on to get a degree in History, possibly with a Journalism or Media minor (but don't get distracted). Definitely consider a Master's in History - it's about credibility for your brand.

Meanwhile (yes, simultaneously, attaining a dream is hard work), take online courses about cinematography, filmmaking, and technical production. There are lots of online courses available cheap or free; quality can be variable but at the zero level it'll all be good information and grist for the mill. When you're ready, Masterclass offers fairly pricey but top-notch in-depth courses (e.g. Ron Howard teaches Directing, Martin Scorsese and Spike Lee teach courses on Filmmaking).

Meanwhile (yes, three things at once: college, online courses and this thing), get up a YouTube channel and become a content creator NOW, or, as soon as you can get post something that is (a) relevant to your goal, (b) well-researched, and (c) of value to the viewer.

To those who say you need a Plan B, a safety net, a degree in something lucrative, I say talent and drive are your safety nets. Making a dream come true requires a higher level of commitment than taking the safe route. There's a niche out there (who are the American versions of Helen Castor, Dan Jones, Lucy Wolsey, or David Starkey, I wonder?). Go fill it!

*Edited to add: If you don't know who those people are, look 'em up and watch their shows. Then become the American version of the best of them. I know I'd watch you! It's untapped territory, and the success of Ken Burns shows that there's an interest.

Hey all. So I just graduated high school and am preparing myself to go to community college next year, Schoolcraft to be specific. I have a lot of questions because honestly I have absolutely no idea about college I’ve never really been informed and have just done my school work. My dream would be to make Revolutionary War films about untold stories and I’d like any type of degree that would help me in that department. Also a degree that can get my a job while I chase the endeavor of war films. Any classes you guys would recommend that would help me make those films?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honest opinion and money better spent... don't go to college (seems counter intuitive but hear me out) and instead find a good mentor in that field/area of interest, i.e. a film or videography business or private videographer/photographer.

Find a way to begin working for them as an apprentice and you'll begin gaining real world experience. It is possible to find apprenticeship type work that is paid, which would be great to satisfy both the experience that you're looking for as well as help pay some of those living wages.

The money you'd be spending on college, use it to go towards purchasing any equipment you'd need to get started on following that dream. Most hiring agents these days aren't impressed by a certificate or piece of paper that says you attended. They want to see real results and measurables with that work experience.

Taking a class or two at the local community college in videography and/or history is not a bad idea, but you'll waste a lot of time and money going to a 4-year university in pursuit of this (my opinion). I went to school originally for photography (4-year degree program) and switched majors after 1 year because I knew I was waisting time, especially as the market was changing over from 35mm to digital. The money I would have spent in college could have built an entire studio set decked out with equipment (and saved wasted time).

The perk of going to college... that's when I discovered metal detecting :cool: BOOM! That's my soapbox speech. Hope any of it helps. Cheers!

Honest opinion and money better spent... don't go to college (seems counter intuitive but hear me out) and instead find a good mentor in that field/area of interest, i.e. a film or videography business or private videographer/photographer.

Find a way to begin working for them as an apprentice and you'll begin gaining real world experience. It is possible to find apprenticeship type work that is paid, which would be great to satisfy both the experience that you're looking for as well as help pay some of those living wages.

The money you'd be spending on college, use it to go towards purchasing any equipment you'd need to get started on following that dream. Most hiring agents these days aren't impressed by a certificate or piece of paper that says you attended. They want to see real results and measurables with that work experience.

Taking a class or two at the local community college in videography and/or history is not a bad idea, but you'll waste a lot of time and money going to a 4-year university in pursuit of this (my opinion). I went to school originally for photography (4-year degree program) and switched majors after 1 year because I knew I was waisting time, especially as the market was changing over from 35mm to digital. The money I would have spent in college could have built an entire studio set decked out with equipment (and saved wasted time).

The perk of going to college... that's when I discovered metal detecting :cool: BOOM! That's my soapbox speech. Hope any of it helps. Cheers!

College does not give the ROI many claim it does. Hell, a BS degree these days is as good as toilet paper to many recruiters. My take, it's not for everyone and is entirely overpriced thanks to our govt handing out loans to everyone.

College does not give the ROI many claim it does. Hell, a BS degree these days is as good as toilet paper to many recruiters. My take, it's not for everyone and is entirely overpriced thanks to our govt handing out loans to everyone.

I am in the Tech Industry as a Programmer.

I personally never went to College and am completely self taught since the Commodore 64 days.

I have to say I have met a lot of programmers in my days that are fresh out of College and wasn't all that impressed..

I find that the Best guys out there are the ones that have been in the trenches and think out side the box.

The ones that have a need, and figure out a way to do it.
Unfortunately, Now a days it may take a degree to get yourself in the door but not always.
If you are savvy and Talk the talk and are able to back it up.. you are golden.

I think that statement is Very fitting for a Artist/Filmmaker.. there are certain things that School can't teach you..

Do you think Tarantino went to College?
the answer is No he dropped out of High School.. I think he did ok..

but

Not Trying to talk you out of College ..just showing you different avenues for different type of people.

I am in the Tech Industry as a Programmer.

I personally never went to College and am completely self taught since the Commodore 64 days.

I have to say I have met a lot of programmers in my days that are fresh out of College and wasn't all that impressed..

I find that the Best guys out there are the ones that have been in the trenches and think out side the box.

The ones that have a need and figure out a way to do it. Unfortunately that Now a days it may take a degree to get yourself in the door but not always. If you are savvy and Talk the talk and be able to back it up.. you are golden.

I think that statement is Very fitting for a Artist/Filmmaker.. there are certain things that School can't teach you..

Do you think Tarantino went to College?

the answer is No he dropped out of High School.. I think he did ok..

but

Not Trying to talk you out of College ..just showing you different avenues for different type of people.

You make a lot of good valid points. Especially on the “certain things they can’t teach”. I’m still weighing all my options like trade school, culinary, etc. I will be attending community college if I go though so it won’t be nearly as costly and my great grand parents left money behind to put me through school so another reason I feel I should go as it’ll cost me nothing but my time! Thanks for the advice I appreciate it a ton

Thanks a lot for the response man!! You have a lot of great points and I really will be taking a lot of this into account when I’m making decisions. I think the idea of taking a few classes at the Community College (which is where I planned to go anyways) is a great idea.

Since you said Schoolcraft I am assuming you are in Michigan and talking about the college on Hagerty and 7 mile to the north and 6 mile to the south?

That is not a community college. You are probably in either Wayne or Oakland county.

Oakland Community College Is near that area and that is where you should be looking. Take all the basic corses there and Make sure they are transfurable and then change to a college later in life that has courses in what your thinking of.

Possiable Spec Howard school of broadcasting ?

Did a google search for flim schools in Michigan and found this pretty quick.

I do not like U of M they are listed as # 11 best for Michigan.

I Like SUSV here in Southern Michigan.

If I were wanting to be an enginner I would go to the UP to Michigan Tech.

https://www.niche.com/colleges/search/best-colleges-for-film/s/michigan/

https://www.universities.com/find/michigan/best/art-and-design/filmmaking

https://www.productionhub.com/directory/profiles/film-schools/us/michigan

My grand daughter is going to U of Wisconsin Madison this fall. She is going into International Law.

:D Al

Heating and air conditioning at a good tech school has worked great for several friends

I considered HVAC took a tour of the school but just couldn’t picture myself doing it 9-5. I understand the money is good so it’s never out of the picture though

Back
Top Bottom