what would you do?

Explain damage to parks to me! Playing football and getting tackled COULD tear up the grass. Riding a bike COULD cause ruts in the ground. Having a picnic COULD have litter left behind. General foot traffic COULD cause the grass to die. Parks are public so get out there and try it. Just fill in as if you were not even there. Don't be digging up flowers that are blooming. Mind your own business and when passer by'ers look at you smile and say hows it goin. If you act like you are doing something wrong is when people notice. And if tax payers have problems just say, "look at all this trash that I am digging up and saving people from having accidents". My park I showed the numerous shredded cans from the lazy ace city mowers to people and they all say have a good time. So if anything, throw some trash in your bag and say you dug it there.

The squirrels dig bigger holes than I do, and I cover mine back up, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Written Form for permission to dig

Does anyone have a form that can be presented to a land owner for permission to metal detect on thier land? Tried to make one myself, but didn't know what should be included.

Changing my whole answer lol. Maybe it's not a bad idea to engage the parks departments so they know MDers and have a reason to doubt claims that MDers are doing something harmful.

Basically the power grabbing government will never let you do anything you want. As long as there are no MDing signs and you clean up well and its not a state or national park you should be fine. I'd go ahead and if someone comes up with ligitimate power to kick me out so be it, if not then you're fine

Don't know what's up with the newest MD'ers on this site but they are going to make it harder for the hobby if they don't wise up. Is it just the younger generation thinking you have to ask permission to do everything? Look you don't ever contact parks and rec as the people in office haven't a clue what the rules are. Search online for your city, county and state and the words metal detecting regulations and park regs. If it says nothing against detecting or digging or "removing any object" then it's ok to hunt there if it's public property since you are a tax payer. For instance I know city and county parks are ok here, but state parks are a big no because state park signs and websites all say either no detecting or else removal of no items allowed. When you arrive at park, double check sign at the entrance that lists park rules just to be doubly sure, then you are good to go. And don't think you are the only detectorist in your town as you most likely are not, so it looks silly for you to ask when others have already probably hunted out the park in question anyway.

haha im 15 and would rather ask no questions lol totally agree, no laws, its legal!

Youth is a great place to be for asking permission. Nothing withers the will of an old codger like a enterprising kid with manners. It's like saying no to Beaver Cleaver.

Something like this.

BATTLESHIP.jpg

I called and asked if I could get permission to hunt and they said they didn't know and then talked to someone else then called me back and gave me permission...that has happened in my town and the next town over...also ask it the same way for the schools super and I got permission there too.

Ask if you can..don't ask for the rules...cos those are some convoluted 100 page documents they'd prefer to not have to read up on..better to ask forgiveness and say you got permission then have to quote 100 pages of documentation.

Back
Top Bottom