Permission question

Ohio Digger

Elite Member
For you guys that hunt primarily private property and farms what do you say when someone doesn't want you to hunt it because they are afraid you might get hurt? They don't want the liability. I asked a gentleman today who owns a vacant 1926 home if I could detect it. I believe there was a structure there prior to that that he isn't aware of, based on my 1874 map. He said something's bound to happen. I wasn't sure what to say to him.

"I've detected thousands of properties and I have yet to get hurt... and if I did get hurt, it would be my own fault. I wouldn't be looking to hold anyone else responsible. What if I was to provide you with a signed release of liability form?"

I don't know. I've heard that those forms won't hold up in court. Although its unlikely anyone would ever go to court over something like that. But it might give the owner some peace of mind.

Well if the forms will or will not hold up in court, who knows. A sharp lawyer could beat it.

Now, who’s it taking who to court? The land owner is not going to take you to court if you get hurt. It will be the other way around to cover your bills.

If you are the type of person to say that it was my fault, I’ll paid for my mistakes, then maybe a liability waver will give the land owner a piece of mind and let you hunt his land.

It wouldn’t hurt to give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom