First Silver Quarter

Jodo_Kast501

I'm still relatively new to detecting (about a year and a half in) and so there are still quite a few firsts for me. Though I've dug 20+ silver coins this year, I had never found a silver quarter until today. I was hunting a now disused youth soccer field and mainly looking for clad. The weather was pretty poor with intermittent rain and I decided to pack in in after about 2.5 hours. On my way off what used to be the soccer field, I just kept swinging my detector and got a strong quarter signal that sounded about like all the other quarters I just dug. When I flipped the plug, I immediately noticed it was silver and not a Washington. Turned out to be an 1897-O Barber, with the relatively low mintage of 1.4 million. Hard to believe that my first silver quarter is a Barber, but no complaints from me!

xf2KQhNl.jpg

4vbdXovl.jpg

gsz5H4pl.jpg

Wow ... your first Silver Quarter is a 1800's dated Barber with a New Orleans mint mark - now that's some good luck for sure - congrats !

Hey! Congratulations on that Barber! Also on your great performance in a short time in this Sport! May I ask what rig you are running?

Big congrats on the Barber ! For the short time in a 20+ silver count is pretty impressive. You're off to a great start, wishing you many more. HH Mark

Amazing. I have yet to find my first silver quarter also. A barber for your first one is unreal. Great job.

That's a great way to start your silver quarter collection !!!! Hope you get a chance to hit that place regularly.

A big congratulations for your first quarter to be in the 1800's and to be a barber. For all the years I have been metal detecting off and on I have yet to find a barber of any kind.:dingding:

I'm still relatively new to detecting (about a year and a half in) and so there are still quite a few firsts for me. Though I've dug 20+ silver coins this year, I had never found a silver quarter until today. I was hunting a now disused youth soccer field and mainly looking for clad. The weather was pretty poor with intermittent rain and I decided to pack in in after about 2.5 hours. On my way off what used to be the soccer field, I just kept swinging my detector and got a strong quarter signal that sounded about like all the other quarters I just dug. When I flipped the plug, I immediately noticed it was silver and not a Washington. Turned out to be an 1897-O Barber, with the relatively low mintage of 1.4 million. Hard to believe that my first silver quarter is a Barber, but no complaints from me!

I found my 2nd Silver quarter last week and it was a 1905 Barber, I've been detecting for about 8 years now. It's a great feeling isn't it?!??!? Congrats!!!!

Back
Top Bottom