Great Video Overview with Settings for Minelab Sovereign GT

Burbank Bob

Forum Supporter
Found this in an old thread looking for clues on how to better use my new detector.

This is a great video - http://www.mlotv.com/view/843/the-sovereign-gt-de-mystified/

My only problem with this machine is some of the places I hunt are loaded with IRON (most likely large targets) and it will null out rather than mask, missing targets that I was able to pick up with an AT PRO.

Some of the controls on the machine don't do what you think they would do.. like the volume control is actually depth control as well (so he says... I have been hunting with it half way and likely that is a reason I'm missing finds).

Check it out.

I think you need to use it in all metal mode to avoid the nulling you can tell the sound of the iron,
I only use the GT in the saltwater wet sand,
for for coin shooting and dry land I use the F-75 or the E-trac,
the GT it's terrible for pinpointing.

I didn't look a the video in the link because I don't have sound in the computer here at work.

I think you're not very happy with the GT.

I think you're not very happy with the GT.

I love the machine.

The problem is that I love it for the beach and I can't get there as much as I would like to.

Pinpointing is not as much the issue as my primary hunting grounds around here that are filled with trash. It is a lot more difficult to work with in these kinds of enviroments without a smaller coil and that would add to the cost and actually slow me down more.

I've been using your old AT Pro (Greg let me borrow it to try it) and it runs circles around the SOV in trashy areas and I've found much more in much less time due to the faster recovery timing.

I can't afford two machines right now. My detector has do all my tasks well and until I can get to the beach more I have to weight the choice to hang in there with it and just put up with so-so performance where I usually hunt, or sell it and find enough with an AT PRO to buy an Excal to use as a water/wet sand/prospecting machine, which is what I think I really need as I'm not happy just being in the wet sand.

Last edited:
I love the machine.

The problem is that I love it for the beach and I can't get there as much as I would like to.

Pinpointing is not as much the issue as my primary hunting grounds around here that are filled with trash. It is a lot more difficult to work with in these kinds of enviroments without a smaller coil and that would add to the cost and actually slow me down more.

I've been using your old AT Pro (Greg let me borrow it to try it) and it runs circles around the SOV in trashy areas and I've found much more in much less time due to the faster recovery timing.

I can't afford two machines right now. My detector has do all my tasks well and until I can get to the beach more I have to weight the choice to hang in there with it and just put up with so-so performance where I usually hunt, or sell it and find enough with an AT PRO to buy an Excal to use as a water/wet sand/prospecting machine, which is what I think I really need as I'm not happy just being in the wet sand.

I recommend you hunting in the wet sand during low tide or much better the during the minus tide, and see if there is really that much good stuff in there,
most of my good finds have been in the dry sand or the sand cuts made by the high tide,
I think people drops more good stuff in the dry sand area,

another reason you want try the wet sand during the low tide is because you are not going to retrieve targets in first scoop like you see in those youtube videos, don't believable everything you see in those videos, some times it takes a lot of digging so imagine that in the water trying to dig a deep target and the waves covering it again with sand,
you can try your GT hip mounted and hunt in 1 or 2 ft deep to see if you really find it so easy to retrieve targets and cool.
I am glad I didn't bought the Excal.

I was at the beach during the low tide this morning and yesterday,
below are my finds;
I was using the GT with the WOT coil,
I am picking up water worn glass when I see it,

picture.php

ss.

note; this is my only opinion and of course you are free to do what you think is good for you.

Back
Top Bottom