Minelab SOV GT Settings | Sun Ray S-12 Coil

Metal_Photo

hello,, I have just purchased a S-12 coil from sunray,, and well do not have much experience with it,,,First thing i noticed is that it chatter's alot at the sensitivity settings at 12 noon, which was optimal for my 10'torando coil.. I tried turning the sensitivity down some, around 1pm but well it still seemed to false and chatter some.. does this coil run HOT? what is the best practice? or tricks and tips i might need to know,. I am ONLY beach hunter dry and wet sand.. Thanks

Is this the same beach you have hunted with the stock coil? Also did you try a different beach?

I hunt with a different custom coil and I know on some of the beach it will pickup interference that my stock coil did not. Other beaches I can run it with more sensitivity.

One of the beaches has a cell tower within site. No problem with the stock coil, but my custom coil, I have to turn the sensitivity down to about 2 O:clock.

Be interesting to see what other S-12 uses have to say.

Is the connector ok did you buy it new or used. I am change my noise cancel channel and did say it made a big difference.

Different coils need different settings. If you can set it to 1 o'clock and it stabilizes then it is fine. If you go into shallow water you will have to turn it down even more. Mine runs find at the Tornado settings. Not much difference. Clean the plug with contact cleaner. Spray it out good.

Yes its new, brand New,, I will check the connector.. but im thinking its good.. I mean it stabalizes fine it seems, just when i am sweeping there tends to be more chatter and falsing. I can turn down the sensitivity just , in my mind I am losing depth when I have to turn down the sensitivity to much,.

Yes its new, brand New,, I will check the connector.. but im thinking its good.. I mean it stabalizes fine it seems, just when i am sweeping there tends to be more chatter and falsing. I can turn down the sensitivity just , in my mind I am losing depth when I have to turn down the sensitivity to much,.

Best way to see if you are loosing depth is to bury a coin at a "real" depth you know your Tornado coil hit at. Then see if the S-12 hits the coin with the sensitivity turned down. I adjust the sensitivity all the time with my custom coil and have never lost any depth because it is deeper than the Tornado even with lower sensitivity.

Like most GT coils you have to swing it for a couple of feet for the processor to fine tune. When they make products some times there is an oily coating on the pins used on the connector. Cleaning them with contact cleaner will be sure the pins are clean. Also, LOOK at the connector on the bottom of your box. Any hint of green or white powder needs to be cleaned with contact cleaner. Detecting the sand will cause mist to get onto your connector pins. I disconnect my coil every day since I chest mount. If you have always used your GT on the shaft it may have salt residue on the pins.

My S-12 runs like my 10 Tornado but others say it needs to be lowered. Swing your coil really low. It matters a LOT with the GT. Do not swing up at the end. Keep it level. This is very important. I saw your post count at 4 which tells me you are very new. If so the Gt makes a lot of noise. It is all good since you will understand it soon. This just means the machine is hot and ready to serve. It will too.

Last edited:
hello,, I have just purchased a S-12 coil from sunray,, and well do not have much experience with it,,,First thing i noticed is that it chatter's alot at the sensitivity settings at 12 noon, which was optimal for my 10'torando coil.. I tried turning the sensitivity down some, around 1pm but well it still seemed to false and chatter some.. does this coil run HOT? what is the best practice? or tricks and tips i might need to know,. I am ONLY beach hunter dry and wet sand.. Thanks

I was looking to get the S12 for the beaches I hunt... I scrub with my coils and you can't do that on our CT beaches with the S-12 it chatters... I have a friend who uses one here by she runs her coil off the sand ... thats not how I hunt... I have no issues with the stock tornado its smooth and stable.

Back
Top Bottom