Found the biggest coin I’ve ever seen!

That is a great find and they are not a particularly common find here. Something a bit unique about the Ike is the reverse. As you can see, the Eagle is on the Moon and on most US coins the Eagle carries an Olive Branch, symbolizing the peace that we desire, and arrows symbolizing our willingness to fight for our country if necessary. On this coin the Eagle carries the Olive Branch but not the arrows. The plaque left on the Moon by the Apollo 11 Astronauts has the statement, “We came in peace for all mankind”.

I like Ike!

My brother and I used to get one apiece from grandma for our birthdays back in the 70’s. Of course, we’d spend ‘em! When I was roll hunting a few years back, I’d always ask the bank for Ike’s in hope of finding a peace or Morgan dollar. One time I turned down 160 of them because I was dumb.

If Ikes were used as pocket pieces, they probably fell through quite a few!

Now when I find ‘em, I give them to my buddy, who uses them for tips on his trips to the Caribbean.

Thanks amc! That's a cool story, I'd assume these dollars would be worth a decent amount if they are silver. :)

I've found 4 in 3 years. One at a softball field, and the other 3 at elementary schools.

I kept the first one, but the others, just go through coinstar. :)

Skippy

Nice! This one will definitely be a keeper for me!

Nice finds! What's a "verge"???

Thank you Chrisco! A verge is a curb strip (just the term we use in Australia). Here's a picture of an old verge I hunted earlier today (it's quite wide, probably about 15ft). No old coins, but got $7.50 out of one hole which was nice. You might also be able to see in the picture that the footpath is made of concrete pavers. Those are the original bricks (probably laid 70 or 80 years ago). Most old residential areas have had these bricks replaced with poured concrete but I noticed that this neighbourhood has still the originals.

That is a great find and they are not a particularly common find here. Something a bit unique about the Ike is the reverse. As you can see, the Eagle is on the Moon and on most US coins the Eagle carries an Olive Branch, symbolizing the peace that we desire, and arrows symbolizing our willingness to fight for our country if necessary. On this coin the Eagle carries the Olive Branch but not the arrows. The plaque left on the Moon by the Apollo 11 Astronauts has the statement, “We came in peace for all mankind”.

Thanks Mike, and also thank you for the info. I find the coin has a nice design to it, and a design that has some meaning behind it too. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2797.jpg
    IMG_2797.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 43
Thanks Mike, and also thank you for the info. I find the coin has a nice design to it, and a design that has some meaning behind it too. :)

My pleasure. The real story, with this particular coin, is perhaps the most interesting and one we will likely never know. How did that coin find it's way to Australia?

I like that design too.

Interesting finds there you got!

Thanks JD!

My pleasure. The real story, with this particular coin, is perhaps the most interesting and one we will likely never know. How did that coin find it's way to Australia?

I like that design too.

Who knows how it ended up in Aus. Maybe the owners moved from the US to Australia and then lost it, or maybe they had visitors from the US who lost it? A mystery that will never get solved :lol:

I have found two Ike dollars and one silver Peace dollar...so far.
There is something special about digging a hole and seeing such a big coin down there.
Congratz!

Yeah I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the huge disk in the sand! Would've been nice if it's silver, but I'm not complaining about finding my first US dollar :)

Back
Top Bottom