Utah Token, turns out to be quite valuable

MarcS

Hello Everybody!

Last week i found this token in Provo, Utah.
It says "Good for 5c in Merchandise At Retail' and on the other side "Henrichsen Mercantile Co, Provo Utah"

This token was issued by the Henrichsen Mercantile Co that operated from 1896 to 1929 and sold pottery items. As i talked to a few local token experts yesterday, it turns out that this token might be worth a few hundred $$, because it is really rare. I had no idea, but I am stoked. I'm actually considering to sell this puppy.

Just thought i'd share, thanks for watching.

MS

Attachments

• Henrichsen Token 01s.jpg
    Henrichsen Token 01s.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 466
  • Henrichsen Token 02s.jpg
    Henrichsen Token 02s.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 457
Bob Campbell at All About Coins in SLC collects Utah tokens. If he doesn't have one I am sure he will give you a great price. Might want to buzz him.

If you do tell him the guy that found the 1893CC eagle in SLC says hello.

wow, that is really neat. i'd go on ebay and search for similar tokens, then price yours 5 bucks under what others are asking. :D

Bob Campbell at All About Coins in SLC collects Utah tokens. If he doesn't have one I am sure he will give you a great price. Might want to buzz him.

If you do tell him the guy that found the 1893CC eagle in SLC says hello.
Scuba! I know that the token is not listed in Bob's token catalog, and I actually talked to him yesterday. He made an imprint of it and asked me right away if I wanted to sell it. I told him I'd think about it.
Either way, the fact that it's not listed in his catalog makes it pretty rare. I'm still waiting for a phone call that will hopefully give me a better idea about its value.

Marc

Amazing

It's always amazing to me how something of such little value at the time of issue can eventually be worth so much down the road. Good thing you looked into it before you let it go, that would have sucked to get rid of it for a few bucks only to find out what it's worth later.
Nice find

SD

Scuba! I know that the token is not listed in Bob's token catalog, and I actually talked to him yesterday. He made an imprint of it and asked me right away if I wanted to sell it. I told him I'd think about it, but I'm pretty sure I will get a much better deal if I sell it to a local collector. He would buy it to resell it and make some money of it, which is understandable, since that's his business.
Either way, the fact that it's not listed in his catalog makes it pretty rare. I'm still waiting for a phone call that will hopefully give me a better idea about its value.

Marc

LOL, I know he buys things to sell BUT if he doesn't have one he is probably drooling over it!! ESPECIALLY if its not listed and he doesn't have one!! Even if he wants it for himself he will try to get it as cheap as possible!! Good luck in finding a good price for it. I found a token he didn't have in 1997 or 1998 and he gave me 150.00 for it. I really don't remember what it was now.

He will remember me I think. I sold him a lot of coins. He did have my eagle for a while but I was able to buy it back.

LOL, I know he buys things to sell BUT if he doesn't have one he is probably drooling over it!! ESPECIALLY if its not listed and he doesn't have one!! Even if he wants it for himself he will try to get it as cheap as possible!! Good luck in finding a good price for it. I found a token he didn't have in 1997 or 1998 and he gave me 150.00 for it. I really don't remember what it was now.

He will remember me I think. I sold him a lot of coins. He did have my eagle for a while but I was able to buy it back.
When I talked to some of our local token experts yesterday, they told me not to let it go for less than 200$, but, according to their opinion, it's probably worth quite a bit more than that. That's why I'm still waiting for a call for one of the local collectors.I'll just wait and see, no rush to get rid of it.
Either way, I'm going back to that spot where I found it tomorrow...

Thank you all for your comments !

Marc

It's always amazing to me how something of such little value at the time of issue can eventually be worth so much down the road. Good thing you looked into it before you let it go, that would have sucked to get rid of it for a few bucks only to find out what it's worth later.
Nice find

SD
No kidding. When I first dug it up, I first thought it was a silver coin and was a little disappointed when I saw that it was a token. But when I noticed the 5c in trade AND the city with state on it, I knew that could be worth something.
That was the second local token I found, I'm starting to like tokens more and more ;-)

Back
Top Bottom