It finally happened and it HURT!

dc426

Elite Member
It was inevitable, but today I finally got nailed by a stingray. I turned to pivot on my left foot in waist deep water and didn't feel the ray under my foot, just the sting. Got me about 2 inches above my little toe. It happened about 45 mins into the hunt. I kept going for about 2.5 more hours. By the time I got back to the car my foot was killing me. Took my booty and sock off and there was just a little nick. Also a nice little hole in my neoprene booty. Went to the doc, got a tetanus shot and a script for antibiotics. Boy those little suckers hurt!
DC

It was inevitable, but today I finally got nailed by a stingray. I turned to pivot on my left foot in waist deep water and didn't feel the ray under my foot, just the sting. Got me about 2 inches above my little toe. It happened about 45 mins into the hunt. I kept going for about 2.5 more hours. By the time I got back to the car my foot was killing me. Took my booty and sock off and there was just a little nick. Also a nice little hole in my neoprene booty. Went to the doc, got a tetanus shot and a script for antibiotics. Boy those little suckers hurt!
DC

What part of the country were you hunting?

Just think if you didn't have that boot, oh wait that would be me. Sorry to hear you got nailed my friend. Haven't had the pleasure and do not want to.

DC

You're extremely lucky that's all you suffered.

Fishing buddy of mine caught one and decided he wanted his $.12 hook back. Bad idea. It caught him between the thumb and forefinger. He remembers getting hit then it gets fuzzy. He remembers driving his boat but not pulling the anchor. He remembers backing his trailer but not docking his boat or pulling the boat onto the trailer. He remembered walking into his house but not driving home. His wife took him to the ER but he recalls nothing until the next day.

The area where he was hit turned black and they feared they would have to cut away the flesh and possibly the finger and / or thumb. Massive doses of antibiotics saved his hand. He lost all feeling for several years.

Last time he tried to salvage a hook. :fishin:

Glad you are OK. One of my last hunts there with Cliff I got my coil hit pretty hard. Glad it was not my leg. Heck of a surprise when it happened. It was like someone walked up with a size 14 boot and kicked it.

wow, right thru the neoprene... don't think ive ever read about any other detectorists ever getting nailed before... surprised it don't happen more often... hope it heals ok...

I have been hit twice, once by a big boy! Both time I was Snook fishing at night. At first I thought I got bit by a blue crab and continued to fish, but the pain just got to be too much. When to the ER for some shoots. With both of mine, it took for ever for the puncture wound to heal and they were very itchy. The second sting was by a baby and it got me right between the little toe and the "ring" toe. That one was REALLY painful.

You kept hunting?! You're a bigger man than me... I got hit once right by the achilles tendon, and I ran straight to the lifeguard station for boiling hot water. That was some pain, I always consider a bad toothache the worst pain, but stingray sting is right up there.

I probably kick or hit with my coil about 5 stingrays per hunt, gotta do that stingray shuffle.

Ouch! Luckily it did not completely puncture through your foot. Are the rays toxic down there like the ones on River Monsters, or whatever that show is called, where the toxicity will eat away at your foot.

Sorry to hear that, i know the feeling all too well.
I got nailed maybe two years ago, straight through the dive boot like it wasn't there and went in deep... It felt like i had a jumbo piece of wire jammed into my foot. I pulled of my dive boot and just saw a bleeding gash on the knuckle of my big toe and a weird blue stain under the skin.The pain started almost immediately and lasted for about four hours total, way worse than breaking a bone, at least that goes numb after awhile.
The trick, for any of those who haven't had the pleasure yet, is to get your foot in to a bucket of hot water, as hot as you can stand without danger of burning your skin, for a few hours. you'll have to change the water every half hour or so, but the pain will be gone in a few hours... After that go to the doc and get a prescription for antibiotics.
I still have a quarter inch scar where it went in, reminds me to shuffle my feet...

I've asked this before, but why not wear some kind of protective gear.. Water boots? Even snake gaiters. I know it doesn't look cool, but neither does screaming all the way to the ER.

ouch! I step on about 4 or 5 a week but lift my foot quick enough and just know I am due,,,,,I try to shuffle but sometimes get caught up in the hunt and forget,,,,It seems like lately there have been more than I ever remember seeing, like a hundred or so a hunt,,,all shapes and sizes,,,get feeling better soon,,,,GL HH

hmmm no thanks! I'll take my chances with our invasive species of lampreys and flying asian carp thank you!!

I've asked this before, but why not wear some kind of protective gear.. Water boots? Even snake gaiters. I know it doesn't look cool, but neither does screaming all the way to the ER.

just like Z said, them things will cut right through the boot like its not even there,,,,,,,it may help from it getting too deep but it ain't going to stop you from being hit,,,,and to think, those little guys just want to lay around and be left alone,,,,I always tell tourists that if someone stepped on you, you would probably sting them too,,,,:laughing: GL HH

Back
Top Bottom