Old bottle?

Scrumhalf2

Hi everyone found this bottle while digging, it's about 5x2 inches. Unfortunately I broke part of the top while digging. Bottom reads 1854 on top, v 8 in the middle with what looks like 2 chains between them and 19 underneath. Just looking to see if anyone has knowledge of an item like this to help date the area. Would 1854 be the date? I also found a nail with a square head in the same hole. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 111_0501.jpg
    111_0501.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 270
  • 111_0496.jpg
    111_0496.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 275
Sound like you might be close to a nice, old, trash pile. I am betting that IS the date and hopefully there are more things near by. What are the details on the area? Oh and welcome to the forum!

Go to this sight and see if it helps. Georgia: Southeastern Antique Bottle Club in Atlanta, GA has their own web page called The Whittle Mark which is run by Fred Taylor, Email: [email protected]
See Reggie's 1998 show report. Good Luck. (:-O)

Might be a great location. In the older days there was no landfill, anything that didn't burn was throw in a hole in the ground. Good luck re-hunting that spot.

generally bottles made before1900 are blown in mold bottles with applied tops. screw caps are a 20th century development.Bottoms of old bottles will be pushed up,or will have a "pontil"mark.I hope this helps.I would still definately keep working this site.Good luck.

I 'd get some kind of a probe that you could push carefully into the ground. you should be able to tell if it hits glass. Dig carefully. There should be more where that came from. Check the dirt for coins, buttons, ect.

Went back to that spot and searched for about 2 more hours. Came up with nothing except pop tops and soda cans. Will probably return, still have a good feeling. The area is older, need to research more to find out just how old. Thanks for the help!

OH MY GOD......That is a $1000.00 bottle if it isn't broken anywhere.

Oh, I should have finished reading the thread.

Since it is broken it is worth $0...........

JUST KIDDING:lol::lol::lol:.

HH

Back
Top Bottom