Best home defense weapon?

Collin1776

Hey guys I’m moving to an area that I’d consider not the greatest in Michigan and I’d like to buy something to defend myself and house with that isn’t a gun. I’m not against guns just not in the position to afford one and that’s something I’d more than likely get later on in life, I’m only 18. Links appreciated thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a large dog like a German Shepard. My place was burglarized but I never had any more trouble after I got my German Shepard. He wouldn't even let the guy who gave him to me near.

Home security cameras, many can be set up to record when motion is detected and even send you an alert on your phone.

Post highly visible signs that trespassers are being video recorded, that should discourage many (and hopefully all) potential trespassers from even trying to come onto your property.

We have both an indoor and outdoor camera -

First here's the camera I got for indoor use, so far it's been working good, it picks up sound and has night vision too, I liked this model because they not only have apps for android and ios phones but also windows phones which we use.

There are both positive and negative reviews so all I can say it has been working fine for us.

D-Link HD Wi-Fi Camera (DCS-936L) (indoor only)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HO9XZR4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

We also have an outdoor camera set up -

Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4MM (both outdoor or indoor)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6NN4ZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

We can access the video feeds from both cameras on our smartphones even when we are away from home.

Home security cameras, many can be set up to record when motion is detected and even send you an alert on your phone.

Post highly visible signs that trespassers are being video recorded, that should discourage many (and hopefully all) potential trespassers from even trying to come onto your property.

We have both an indoor and outdoor camera -

First here's the camera I got for indoor use, so far it's been working good, it picks up sound and has night vision too, I liked this model because they not only have apps for android and ios phones but also windows phones which we use.

There are both positive and negative reviews so all I can say it has been working fine for us.

D-Link HD Wi-Fi Camera (DCS-936L) (indoor only)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HO9XZR4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

We also have an outdoor camera set up -

Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4MM (both outdoor or indoor)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6NN4ZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

We can access the video feeds from both cameras on our smartphones even when we are away from home.

Wow that’s a pretty good price too. Thanks I appreciate it !

Every effective means of defense either costs as much as a gun, or it will over time.
Right now it's a buyer's market on guns. If you want one, get it now, then get some training.

Big dogs are great, but feeding and maintaining them is an ongoing expense.
Video surveillance is nice (I have that too), but posting signs just tells thieves to be sure to steal the DVR while they're at it.

Not unlike dogs, maintaining your skills with a weapon is an ongoing expense. Learning isn't a once and done proposition. Regular range visits are a must!
The thing is, that you don't have giant piles of poop to dispose of (unless you happen to shoot one breaking into your place).

Get a large dog like a German Shepard. My place was burglarized but I never had any more trouble after I got my German Shepard. He wouldn't even let the guy who gave him to me near.

This is Marshall... as you can tell he totally looks like a killing machine! Haha.
72f43a6ec911917bc60b3c7deebf688f.jpg

One concern I have with a camera system is supposedly ease of hacking.
Smart thieves could case the joint before they even enter.

Big dogs need attention, and they poop a lot, that stinks.

Guns, I own several, but I don’t sleep with ‘em, and they do me no good if I’m not home.

5 things

That help, #1 shotgun is the best, short barrel #2 A large dog with a keen since of smell and great hearing, not a french poodle :laughing: #3 security camera's with motion, and night vision that notifies you directly to your cell phone at least 1080p, #4 Motion sensor's also help, when your sleeping a alarm will sound off , i have them in the garage. #5 training in Martial Art's , happy hunting. In closing most intruder's will be armed, will use what the have if confronted , arm yourself 1st by all mean's, if my house is entered , all the state need's to bring is a body bag, for the intruder , you see it more , and more, break in's , and the cop's finding dead home owner's , it only take's one event, than your 6 foot under.

Attachments

• P1000959.JPG
    P1000959.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
I agree that having cameras isn't foolproof or a guarantee against thieves, depending on the system/setup you get some can be set to upload to a "cloud" so there is no DVR for thieves to take.

As far as being hacked, you should go thru a VPN for security, I use free open source VPN software from https://www.softether.org/

When away from home you can access the video feeds from your cameras, if the live feeds are not available then that in itself is an alert that there "might" be a break-in and you know to check to see if that is the case or if it was something else like a power outage or internet service outage.

Again, cameras are not foolproof or a guarantee, but they're nice to have along with whatever else you use.

Also, no monthly fee other than your regular internet service !

Our dog is a great watchdog too, she is an inside dog with keen ears and barks if she hears a noise.

Cute dogs everyone ! :D

That help, #1 shotgun is the best, short barrel #2 A large dog with a keen since of smell and great hearing, not a french poodle :laughing: #3 security camera's with motion, and night vision that notifies you directly to your cell phone at least 1080p, #4 Motion sensor's also help, when your sleeping a alarm will sound off , i have them in the garage. #5 training in Martial Art's , happy hunting. In closing most intruder's will be armed, will use what the have if confronted , arm yourself 1st by all mean's, if my house is entered , all the state need's to bring is a body bag, for the intruder , you see it more , and more, break in's , and the cop's finding dead home owner's , it only take's one event, than your 6 foot under.

Thanks for the info man. Also yeah I know a dog is a good way to go, I posted a picture of my pittbull but he’s just too nice. I’ve had him since he was a puppy so the only things he knows how to do are be happy and wag his tail haha.

A shotgun is logically best. I personally went to an AR15, 30 round clip, right by my bed, locked and loaded. With the shorter 30" carbine barrel length...the AR is light and easy to handle.

Popping off a few rounds, would make an intruder really stupid NOT to haul butt. If not? He has a real problem. My clip still has rounds.

One shotgun blast would certainly do it though.

My inside dog is super instinctive though. She gives me the time to get my firing safety off and be ready. Best of two worlds for me.

Get some GOOD locks on your doors, don't leave valuable stuff where it can be seen peaking in a window. Even if you don't have a firearm you can always get some of those stickers saying "This house protected by Smith and Wesson" or whatever...

If any of you know of women who live alone here is a neat tip I read online in the past, tell them to put a pair of worn, dirty, size 15 men's work boots on the front porch next to the front door along with a pile of old issues of gun magazines.

The men's boots will make a perp think a husband who wears size 15 boots and likes guns is at home ! :shock:

A great dog is the best that will alert you to outdoor or indoor shenanigans....Motion sensors.... alarms, lights, or deterrents of that sort....

But what I also have, last resort, close quarters contact, leaning up on the wall next to the bed, ..."Theres Nothing like a good piece of Hickory"

Its a simple axe handle, with with I can punch or swing most aggregiously..In the darkness and dead of night, I would pity the fool that tried to make it up the stairs...plus, it wouldnt make a mess for me to have to clean up like a shotgun..so thats my preference there for indoor action...

Of course a fellow has to think and prepare for either a Home Invasion or a burglary when you are not home, and come up with certain kinds of deterrents...

I have #3 and 4 double longsprings set inside 'Decoy Drawers' that a naughty person will certainly reach into and rifle around for obvious and easy treasures....

I also set 220 and 330 Conibears in strategic places as well...so yeah...things like this...Its very hard to get out of these traps with only one arm unless you are skilled in their operation..even then...it would be a gosh darn effort...

I have put great thought into what I would do with my Burglar catch someday! It would be such fun! I got it all figured out and even have a name for it! "The Old 'Aunt Jemima' treatment!":laughing:

I'm seriously paranoid I guess...or bored, I dont know...I'll take pics and do a post if I ever catch anybody for sure!

Probably title it..."You broke into the WRONG Goshdarn recroom didnt you you SOB!" :laughing:

Booby-traps or traps set for people are a felony, Mud. Don't get caught doing it, or you won't have to worry about any other invaders than your new bunkmate....Tyrone. boff.gif

I liked my last system micro chipped camera's down loads directly to a site, i am looking once again, Earl

Does it require a dedicated home network/router/computer logged in all of the time, inside the house, for it to function? Does it work without a wifi network, at home?

Back
Top Bottom