frequency question

farmermark

I was wondering what would be the preferred frequency for detecting a copper/lead bullet in a mass of meat and bone? Thanks, Mark

I don’t think you’ll be able to find a detector that WON’T pick up a bullet. I found plenty with my Tesoro Compadre that runs at 12 kHz. Lead fishing weights and bullets sound good. Copper is a higher conductor than lead, but both would be picked up nicely by most detectors. I’ve found nearly 100 bullets, and probably 50lbs of fishing weights.

Depth may be your main factor.

Good luck solving your mystery with the cows.

I was wondering what would be the preferred frequency for detecting a copper/lead bullet in a mass of meat and bone? Thanks, Mark

You're the guy with the dead cows from the other thread? Like groundsweeper said, just about any detector will pick up a bullet, but lead and copper are low to mid conductors so a detector that runs on a higher frequency may work a little better. However, you may need a detector that goes deep if the bullet is in the middle of the cow.

Yea GS, you mentioned depth. That was another thing I was wondering about. I read today that to go deeper you want a lower frequency. Is this correct? If so would a lower frequency allow me to search like a foot and a half or so into the body? Mark

Yes, I'm the farmer with the dead cows. I guess my final question is what detector could work to pick up a bullet that might be better than a foot inside? I've been looking at the Teknetics G2+, with 19khz. Is that good enough? Mark

A modern bullet should ring up like a zinc penny to dime. The frequency shouldn't matter much. The most important thing is to choose a detector known to detect deep. Search in all metal or
with zero discrimination.

Yes, I'm the farmer with the dead cows. I guess my final question is what detector could work to pick up a bullet that might be better than a foot inside? I've been looking at the Teknetics G2+, with 19khz. Is that good enough? Mark

Unless you want to start metal detecting as a hobby, maybe you could post your location and maybe there's a forum member near you that will either loan you a detector or come by and try to find the bullet. I have no experience with the G2, but I used to have a fisher F70 which is 14khz and made by the same corporation and it would have probably hit a bullet that deep. But who knows how flesh compares to soil as far as depth is concerned.

I've been following along with your problem here and trying to come up with a decent solution for you...Well, seeings how you live in Canada, and its Winter, its not like those dead cows are going anywhere soon....

I would ask, why do you think your cows were shot to begin with? And by who? Do you got a neighbor whom you suspect? If so, Why would they shoot your cows in the first place? if so, with what caliber? These are viable thoughts that may assist...If you do have a bad neighbor who hates your cows or you for some reason, lets walk this trail..Its logical....

A mean stupid kid would shoot a cow with a .22 rimfire right in the guts and let them wander around and suffer for days before they die...A guy that knows a bit would step up and shoot them right in the head with a .22 and drop them on the spot at the fenceline! So the location of the dead cow and other evidence may help you figure this out..tracks in the snow...other sidebar evidence...

Now, a guy shooting a heavier caliber, who hates your cows or you, would put a pill right through the boiler room from a concealed location and from a safe distance well off your property...30 cal and up I would suspect are quite common in your area...Up there, 7mm mags are considered bunny guns...

Dead frozen cows are quite a situation to deal with....I know, I once had to kill and skin a Belgian Horse during a Northern Minnesota Winter Blizzard....Lots of frozen dead cattle as well for a guy to deal with....

If I were you, I would drag in one of my unfortunate ungulates with the tractor and perform my own autopsy by skinning it...It would take a few hours tops...less with a chainsaw, very easy to see if any external ballistical malfeasance leading to the innocent bovines demise would then be quite obvious.....

Then I'd go from there...If I found evidence and suspected a certain neighbor of this aggregious impropriaty, I would confront them with the autopsy evidence and tell them I want cash money equaling twice the street value of the victim! Or, I'm calling the Mounties!

Just a suggestion.In lieu of all this, and to answer your question, I'd get a Tek T2 or an AtPro! Both would be capable of finding a bullet and hold a decent Resale value!:laughing:

FWIW, if you want to get even with your neighbor, as you are driving by, simply toss a Brillo pad soaked in bacon grease into the guys yard...his dog will eat it...it will take days of painful suffering.....Its pretty much untraceable back to you as the dog killing culprit!...Everybody knows dogs will eat anything!..Word of warning..dont kill some innocent dog unless you are absolutely sure some evil peckerwood would miss him and that he was the one who shot your cows in the first place!!. Theres more to this story than you are letting on here!

Last edited:
With modern rifles the bullet may very well penetrate completely thru the animal If no bone was hit to slow the bullet.

Back
Top Bottom