I'm an idiot...... Anyone else???

Vermonster

Elite Member
Ok, so Crumble gave me an extra XS 2a-Pro he had laying around last year to go detecting at the beach. I've got it running great, but as the hunt goes on each time, it seems that I will get a small chirp at the end of each swing, usually on the left end. I wasn't sure if the batteries were going down, or maybe the coil was lifting a tad at the end of the swing, so it would chirp a little because it was uneven. I kept texting Crumble on and off, and his advice was to make sure I stay at the recommended dial settings when running the mod that it has. Without seeing it, he was as perplexed as I was.

Well, I learned to live with it, as a small annoyance until the other day. It started chirping again on the left end of the swing, and I started thinking. Then, without much thought, I happened to reposition my scoop from where I was holding it, about waist height, and actually carry it over my shoulder. Well holly he!!, whaddya know, the chirping stopped, it's quiet as a mouse......... Duh!!!!!!! :mad:

I had to laugh and text Crumble. I think the reason it got worse as the hunt went on is because as I got tired, the scoop sunk lower and lower towards the ground. And, I always carry it with my left hand, which is where the chirping would occur, on the left. That machine is so damn sensitive, it was picking up the scoop from waist height. So, yes, I am an idiot....... :lol: But, problem is now solved........ ;)

I've occasionally done the same thing. But al least you weren't wearing steel toes boots, or pinpointed with a ring on your hand or even worse...

Forgotten to turn the machine on.

I have.

I kept getting all of these great quarter and half signals. They sounded awesome. However, I couldn't pin point them and was getting really frustrated. As I was getting ready to chuck my detector across the field, I noticed that all of those great signals were coming from my DX-1 probe, which I left switched on and never switched back to my main coil. *sigh*

Being left handed my favorite thing to do is to grab mulch with my left hand and run my pinpointer over it. Picks up my wedding ring every time. :laughing:

BCD

Ok, so Crumble gave me an extra XS 2a-Pro he had laying around last year to go detecting at the beach. I've got it running great, but as the hunt goes on each time, it seems that I will get a small chirp at the end of each swing, usually on the left end. I wasn't sure if the batteries were going down, or maybe the coil was lifting a tad at the end of the swing, so it would chirp a little because it was uneven. I kept texting Crumble on and off, and his advice was to make sure I stay at the recommended dial settings when running the mod that it has. Without seeing it, he was as perplexed as I was.

Well, I learned to live with it, as a small annoyance until the other day. It started chirping again on the left end of the swing, and I started thinking. Then, without much thought, I happened to reposition my scoop from where I was holding it, about waist height, and actually carry it over my shoulder. Well holly he!!, whaddya know, the chirping stopped, it's quiet as a mouse......... Duh!!!!!!! :mad:

I had to laugh and text Crumble. I think the reason it got worse as the hunt went on is because as I got tired, the scoop sunk lower and lower towards the ground. And, I always carry it with my left hand, which is where the chirping would occur, on the left. That machine is so damn sensitive, it was picking up the scoop from waist height. So, yes, I am an idiot....... :lol: But, problem is now solved........ ;)

Yep. Been there, done that. The chirp can also be because your cell phone is on in your left pants pocket, you're holding your pin pointer in your left hand, you're holding a digger in your left hand, or you have a swing that results in close proximity to your shoe, which may have metal eyelets, steel toes, or a pop-tab stuck in the sole.

Glad you got it figured out. For me, I found that grasping my scoop by the handle and dragging it behind me, keeps the metal out of the field of detection. It also has the added value of showing me where I've been when I look back over the territory. Very useful for gridding in sand.

Cheers!

Skippy

Forgotten to turn the machine on.

I have.

I have a tendency to turn it off, when I stop for non-digging purposes (force of habit), but fail to turn it back on after a while. I can go a couple of minutes, before my brain finally kicks in and says, "not even a BLIP?"

When I first got into MDing, I believe I went one time for a full quarter of an hour in a field without realizing the detector was off. Those are moments, I always KNOW there was gold there.

DERP!

I was hunting an area with very few signals the other day. I had a signal with the deus and switched to pinpoint mode. After recovering the flat, round, coinlike portion of the shotgun headstamp I went about detecting. I walked a fair distance before realizing how quiet the deus was, not chatty, no emi, not a sound. Then I realized I was in pinpoint mode from the last target. I figure I didn't miss anything as it should have made a sound if it passed over metal.

Kneeling too close to my hole, my knee replacement kept setting off my pinpointer :laughing:

Was out swinging over the weekend, was holding the MD in my left, everytime I swung to the right I would get a faint chirp. Took abit to realize it was my digger I was holding my right hand setting it off.

Was out swinging over the weekend, was holding the MD in my left, everytime I swung to the right I would get a faint chirp. Took abit to realize it was my digger I was holding my right hand setting it off.

Exact thing I did, but it took me 5-6 trips to realize it....... :(

Hey we live and Learn. I carry my scoop on my belt with the handle pointed down. I use a tool lasso to hold the scoop.

For quite some time I heard the chirp at the end of my swing to the left. Then I realized that it was my detector sensing the scoop. So now I don't worry about the left hand chirp. I set the sensitivity so it doesn't false in the rest of the swing.

My scoop is heavy is the reason I invert it and wear it instead of carrying it or dragging it and letting it fill up with sand and get even heavier.

I laughed when I read your post. Decided to hit a volley ball court when the rain just got to be too much to cut grass. Had my boots on instead of my Velcro sneakers. Took me a while to figure out why I was getting the high tone and couldn't find it after. Eyelets got me. :D Had to change the way I was walking so that I swung right when I stopped forward with my left, left when I stepped forward with the right. Glad it was just a court and not a field.

I laughed when I read your post. Decided to hit a volley ball court when the rain just got to be too much to cut grass. Had my boots on instead of my Velcro sneakers. Took me a while to figure out why I was getting the high tone and couldn't find it after. Eyelets got me. :D Had to change the way I was walking so that I swung right when I stopped forward with my left, left when I stepped forward with the right. Glad it was just a court and not a field.

Ha, that's a good one too.....

I'm glad to know it's not just me! My F2 had a funny habit of just turning itself off suddenly. I kind of got used to it but it was aggravating. I finally checked into it and found out that for some odd reason, it would turn off after hitting my Lesche digger against the pole of the detector. Changed sides with the digger and it stopped happening. Only took me a couple months to figure it out...

And yes to going along with the detector off, I've done that more than I want to admit :lol:

how bout buying a new pair of lite weight detecting boots and later find out they had steel toes and were not marked as such. Talk about upsetting a detector. Just try to finish a long hunt bare footed.

Turn off and go

How about forgetting to turn the detector back on... now theres 10 minutes of my life i cant get back :lol:

Back
Top Bottom