Mystery Bullet

rob.ream258

Elite Member
I'm just a noob in relic / war relics. Lately I've been finding round balls in the same area where a civil war button was found which gives a good indication of the era of finds. It was found 10 inches down and at the same depth as the round balls.

The other day I found this bullet that appears similar in color to the round balls. I've read about the early cartridge guns and wondering if this bullet is from that era.

Anyone have an idea / seen this type before? All help is very appreciated.

GL & HH

Attachments

• old_bullet.jpg
    old_bullet.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 260
Imo

It looks to be an impacted CW Williams Cleaner.
It has hit something smooth :shock: I guess they name it "Mushroom Bullet" .
The experts here will give you precise info .
HH Ramm

If the top of the ring won't let you dig in it, it may not be a cleaner. The bottoms were zinc and the main body was lead.

What's the caliber of the round?

It is definitely not a cleaner bullet. With the solid base, it would have to be a carbine bullet or pistol bullet to be civil war era. My gut feeling is that it may be post war. Possible a larger caliber pistol bullet.

It is definitely not a cleaner bullet. With the solid base, it would have to be a carbine bullet or pistol bullet to be civil war era. My gut feeling is that it may be post war. Possible a larger caliber pistol bullet.

Not sure of the caliber but it's no .22 and I'm also guessing post was since that type of weapon wasn't widespread. I know it's definitely old but shy of that little else is known.

I guess the mystery continues...

Back
Top Bottom