Civil War Bleeder & Surgeons Knife

h20hawgs

Elite Member
Here is a surgeaons bleeder (top) and a surgeons knife blade from a site that I found in the woods near the battlefield of Seven Pines/White Oak Swamp. I found the site (home site) by locating alot of iron in the middle of some woods and then started picking it over last weekend. It's way up in VA and I am back in GA...uuuggghh

Attachments

• Seven Pines Battle 065.jpg
    Seven Pines Battle 065.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,520
Okay, nice finds, but YUCK. It makes me shiver just to think of how those things were used. I'm sure there are people who collect medical relics though, so I guess whatever floats your boat. Congrats. : )

Awsome finds and great info I would have never guessed that was a bleeder and probably tossed it with the iron junk. Hope you find some good old coins as well.

Steelbilly,
Man I have a buddy that is looking after it every chance he gets... Kills me to not be there flippin plugs the last year or two except on a couple weekends. I just gave him another one of my spots also to make sure no one else gets the relics. At least he will add them to our own little private collection. I am living here in GA and starting to find a few relics but no spots like that one yet. No one down here wants to hook up and hunt. What they do not know is that I will expand on any knowledge and areas they take me... So its basically their loss down here. I am not greedy at all and just enjoy the researchm hunting and identifying! I will not give up on the GA boys yet, but I will be pullin relics they missed!

Bleeder?

How was a bleeder used? Was it a simple tool to make a leak in someone's arm to drain blood like in the 1700s? I did not think science and medicine still believed this to be a good thing in 1860 or so.

Jennings

Bleeder was used to bleed out wounds from injury from battles on the spot and when infection set in... Pretty crude!

It may be... I have heard all the relic guys call it a bleeder and this is my first one... First surgeons knife also! I never thought I would fing those things but I found a hospital I look for a few summers ago. I was set on finding it last weekend and just scanned fast looking lots of iron in the middle the woods. We found it after about 2-3 hours of walking s pattern 30' apart down and back about a hundred acres of woods. I was told be an aged land owner there was one but his memory failed him a couple times on location. He was off by about 400 yards which is alot in woods that are open then thick especially when your finding relics everywhere for the last couple years... Relics are getting harder to find so we made it our mission to find the hospital... It is paying off!

Very interesting relics... amazing how we take modern medicine for granted, when just a hundred years ago they were still 'bleeding' and other barbaric processes. RickO

It may be... I have heard all the relic guys call it a bleeder and this is my first one... First surgeons knife also! I never thought I would fing those things but I found a hospital I look for a few summers ago. I was set on finding it last weekend and just scanned fast looking lots of iron in the middle the woods. We found it after about 2-3 hours of walking s pattern 30' apart down and back about a hundred acres of woods. I was told be an aged land owner there was one but his memory failed him a couple times on location. He was off by about 400 yards which is alot in woods that are open then thick especially when your finding relics everywhere for the last couple years... Relics are getting harder to find so we made it our mission to find the hospital... It is paying off!

I would say it is paying off! You have some good finds from a great time era.

I am fortunate to have lived near so much history... There is alot of history here in GA also but alot of it if not most has been built on top of so it's a little tougher but well worth all the effort!

Back
Top Bottom