Civil War Coins/Carved Cannon...

h20hawgs

Elite Member
Here are some of my coins I found in VA at the Civil War Battle of Seven Pines /White Oak Swamp... I really like the Shield Nickel that a soldier has carved a cannon firing a cannon ball... These are all woods hunts where Grants Calvary flanked the confederate trench lines and pushed them back towards Glendale where another battle followed...

Attachments

• Seven Pines Battle 011.jpg
    Seven Pines Battle 011.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 428
  • Seven Pines Battle 013.jpg
    Seven Pines Battle 013.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 411
  • Seven Pines Battle 014.jpg
    Seven Pines Battle 014.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 406
  • Seven Pines Battle 015.jpg
    Seven Pines Battle 015.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 530
They were all over Kentucky... I have seen some great finds come out of KY... Do some research with books then google maps and you will find the relics!

Very nice finds! I always wonder what made them carve or punch holes in the coins like that. They are great coins! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I have a few more I have to dig out from past hunts. The most interesting is a coin that is hammered into a 3-D self image of a soldier with a kepi had and beard. That one is back in VA... Next time I am up I will try to find it. The neatest coin/carving I have found that was actually hammered with a small tool over a long time. He actuall poy a hole in it and wore it as a necklace as well!

I will post more pics of this weekends finds today!!!

Back
Top Bottom