Oh these phone calls!!

hoser

Forum Supporter
It was one thing to get non stop political calls during the election, but it's the everyday wacko calls we get that have me going. God bless caller ID though. Now I can cull these things out...... to a point! We get some with 20 numbers starting with a V, ones that say unavailable :shock::?: today we got one that said "none", none! how can you have a none? I have got ones from the national guard camp down the road, my local VA clinic, friends of mine, and even a half dozen of them from me.:?::?::lol: All of which, if I answer turn out to be about Medicare, hearing loss, or the warranty on my 2008 Chrysler that has 170k miles on it. 90% of them all start out saying "Hi my name is Angela. Are the rest of ya'll hammered by these calls.

The entire country is. I have gotten calls for a janet conolly since 2014. I started taking every call and try to keep them on the line as long as I can. That way they dont scam the elderly like they got my grandmother for $900. Here is some i recorded. LNSFW

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCrkwyFABxCIwu3mxsuELZVA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The calls have slowed down. I imagine covid is wreaking havoc on these over crowded call centers in stink holes like india.

We still get some telemarketing and spam/scam calls but nothing like we used to get.

We only have smartphones, no landline, and while we rarely answer calls from numbers we do not recognize, they can often spoof their calls to make it look like it's coming from your local area. So we rarely even answer local numbers we do not recognize. (I figure if it is a legitimate non-spam call they likely will leave a voicemail and we can call them back)

Both my wife and I have even had spoofed calls that made it look like we were calling ourselves on our own phone :shock: :laughing: of course we did not answer.

I've had a call before from someone asking me why I called their number, I told them I did not call and explained that someone must have spoofed my number so the real caller's own number would not show up.

When we don't answer calls we sometimes get a voicemail from the telemarketer, one my wife had gotten a few times says something like "we can help you with your student loan that you owe....." making it sound like they know you have a student loan, well my wife did graduate from college but she has never had a student loan :lol: so they must hope if they call enough people they will eventually get someone who does have a student loan :lol:

Haven’t had a landline in almost 20 years but I get my share of telemarket calls to my cell.
No political calls lately but a multitude of political text messages.

Just answer - City morgue you stab em we slab em ! They hang up almost every time.:laughing: If not just tell them you have bad hearing and half way through their scripted BS cut em off and say could you talk louder then ask them to repeat it again :laughing:

I get them, and when I get past the robot or get the other side directly, they are invariably Indian. ALWAYS using a forged number, of course. The FCC has already fined one phone company for their part in these scams, but there's a ton more to go. I dream of a time when assets will be seized and executives barred from ever holding stock in a telecom or telephone sales company ever again.

Recently, I started occasionally answering the phone with the following message:

"You have reached the embassy of Corruptistan, formerly known as India. Please leave your name, phone number, bribe, and credit card, and if the bribe is sufficient, we will get back to you."

The phone is becoming useless as a personal/family communication tool, and it's all the fault of the greedy jerks who give the Indian scammers transit through their phone lines.

-- Tom

Haven’t had a landline in almost 20 years but I get my share of telemarket calls to my cell.
No political calls lately but a multitude of political text messages.

I keep getting telemarketing calls on my cell, too (they are illegal). Most of the live marketers are looking for the guy who had that number before me OVER 20 YEARS AGO! They find the number on these parasitic web sites that put old information as content so they can display ads. One guy I had a text exchange with told me he got the number from a service he paid for. I explained that Anthony hasn't had this number for decades, so hopefully, he went to his lead supplier and gave them a good chewing out.

-- Tom

I get them, and when I get past the robot or get the other side directly, they are invariably Indian. ALWAYS using a forged number, of course. The FCC has already fined one phone company for their part in these scams, but there's a ton more to go. I dream of a time when assets will be seized and executives barred from ever holding stock in a telecom or telephone sales company ever again.

Recently, I started occasionally answering the phone with the following message:

"You have reached the embassy of Corruptistan, formerly known as India. Please leave your name, phone number, bribe, and credit card, and if the bribe is sufficient, we will get back to you."

The phone is becoming useless as a personal/family communication tool, and it's all the fault of the greedy jerks who give the Indian scammers transit through their phone lines.

-- Tom

I wish I could pull this off with a straight face.

Tom Mabe is hilarious. I remember one where he pretended to put the telemarketer on hold and was talking to the friend (supposedly on the other line) about how stupid the telemarketer sounded, and what a loser he probably was.

-- Tom

It was one thing to get non stop political calls during the election, but it's the everyday wacko calls we get that have me going. God bless caller ID though. Now I can cull these things out...... to a point! We get some with 20 numbers starting with a V, ones that say unavailable :shock::?: today we got one that said "none", none! how can you have a none? I have got ones from the national guard camp down the road, my local VA clinic, friends of mine, and even a half dozen of them from me.:?::?::lol: All of which, if I answer turn out to be about Medicare, hearing loss, or the warranty on my 2008 Chrysler that has 170k miles on it. 90% of them all start out saying "Hi my name is Angela. Are the rest of ya'll hammered by these calls.

I hear ya Brother Bill!

We NEVER answer our home or cell phones if is it doesn't come up on caller ID as someone in our phone list.

Lately we keep getting the..."your car warranty is about to expire"...we don't HAVE a car warranty!! :lol:

I figure if it is important they will leave a message and I can decide if I want to call back!

Here at the Castle we use an online service for free called nomorobo. Give them your landline number, then if their fake number is on their listing, the phone rings once and the service intercepts and hangs up!

We have caller id, and the craziest number KT ever saw...was His own Royal Number! :laughing::laughing: on the id! We used to get piles of them around supper time, but now even the Queen does not get up...like KT said, if its important, they will leave a message. Sometimes they are stupid and do, but push one button and message deleted! :lol::lol:

We still get some telemarketing and spam/scam calls but nothing like we used to get.

We only have smartphones, no landline, and while we rarely answer calls from numbers we do not recognize, they can often spoof their calls to make it look like it's coming from your local area. So we rarely even answer local numbers we do not recognize. (I figure if it is a legitimate non-spam call they likely will leave a voicemail and we can call them back)

Both my wife and I have even had spoofed calls that made it look like we were calling ourselves on our own phone :shock: :laughing: of course we did not answer.

I've had a call before from someone asking me why I called their number, I told them I did not call and explained that someone must have spoofed my number so the real caller's own number would not show up.

When we don't answer calls we sometimes get a voicemail from the telemarketer, one my wife had gotten a few times says something like "we can help you with your student loan that you owe....." making it sound like they know you have a student loan, well my wife did graduate from college but she has never had a student loan :lol: so they must hope if they call enough people they will eventually get someone who does have a student loan :lol:

10-4 Gary, MOST of the nuisance calls I get anymore are spoofed "local" calls. And yes, I have been called by my own number (!) two times now. I put any legitimate callers I deal with most in my contacts so their name and info shows. Most of these nuisance calls, from what I've read, are computer generated and called in groups. When one in the group answers the others drop. many times the caller will call three times in a row, as the computer does its' thing. :mad:

I agree the amount of calls I get has drastically slowed this year of COVID, but some of my friends still get plenty. I really feel for businesses who have to deal with all this though.

Here at the Castle we use an online service for free called nomorobo. Give them your landline number, then if their fake number is on their listing, the phone rings once and the service intercepts and hangs up!

We have caller id, and the craziest number KT ever saw...was His own Royal Number! :laughing::laughing: on the id! We used to get piles of them around supper time, but now even the Queen does not get up...like KT said, if its important, they will leave a message. Sometimes they are stupid and do, but push one button and message deleted! :lol::lol:

We use nomorobo and augment it with a Call Blocker box attached to our phone line.

get those calls daily.

Refer to the Indians as “Chai Wallas” and see the reaction you will get especially out of the men. It will be clear immediately that it is not a legit call haha

We have been using old flip phones for years. Then we get a text telling us that they are going to "give" us more data and raise the price 5 bucks a month. When we called to complain we were told that we needed to purchase cim cards that let us pay for what we use.

Since those old flip phones did not have a cim card slot we purchased phones that allowed us to call and text to our hearts content. At half the monthly cost we had been experiencing.

Then the calls started along with the spam texts. I keep blocking them and the number have decreased significantly.

My wife insists that we keep the landline. I found a set of phones that if the caller does not identify themselves or the number is not in the directory my phone does not ring. Spammers hate me.

Rudy said"We use nomorobo and augment it with a Call Blocker box attached to our phone line".
We have one of those call blocker boxes as well. Got a pretty good amount of numbers that can't call us any more and I like it.;)

Back
Top Bottom