Oh, the horror...the horror...

scaupus

I suggested a new location to my hunt buddy "Bill", a public park on a beach that neither of us had ever trod before. When we got there, Bill started hunting immediately, right in front of the park. I on the other hand, went striding down the beach to hunt behind a luxury hotel about 200 yards south.

My natural inclination and habit was to swing the coil over the wet sand on my way there. But I checked my inclination and habit, smothered my fear that I might be bypassing a gold ring, and shouldered my detector, dedicating myself to my goal of finding the "Big One"; the Big One being a quality ring with a big expensive stone, that would much more likely be found behind a luxury hotel, than behind the local park, in theory. I felt proud that I had the discipline to follow my dream.

Indeed, I felt I had taken a march on poor old Bill, so doggedly searching without any analysis or strategy, the first available bit of beach he encountered. Even my beagle, Dumbo, is far more selective and thoughtful in her choice of where we go for walks, often insisting on rapidly trotting to some distant point that she finds of greatest interest to her. Poor Bill, I thought, he is a mere primitive, a dull fellow, who relies for his modest finds entirely on mindless persistence, physical strength and endurance.

The beach between the park and the hotel was fronted by several large condominiums. Bill worked his way south past each condo, thoroughly hunting the same stretch of wet sand, and occasionally a little of the water, over which I had flown in my haste to reach the hotel as quickly as possible. In the meantime, I hunted the water behind the hotel, determined to cover as much of it as I could before Bill inevitably arrived to horn in on my spot.

I do not know whether he crowds me because he is naturally a herd animal, or because he depends on me to do his thinking for him, or because he thinks I'm his Lucky Charm. Anyway, there I was, feeling quite frustrated by the luxury hotel's beach, having found only garbage and maybe a few clad. And here comes Bill, swinging his detector like a Terminator, thoroughly covering ground at an incredible pace only a machine could maintain. I was sure he would miss 50% of the targets at that speed, and I had little reason to fear he would find anything good.

He got up to within 10 yards of me, stopped, posed like a model with his hand stretched out on his leg. I was sort of worried about him, that was unnatural. He just kept looking at me with a horrible grin. I notice his fingers were waving up and down on his leg like a sea fan. I came closer and then I saw two gold bands on his fingers that I'd never seen there before.

"You went right over these, dude!" He cried out.

Oh...the horror! The horror...

From reading your first few paragraphs I had a feeling he was going to outhunt you :lol: congrats to him ;)

Ouch! and Ouch!,,,,,,and another Ouch!,,,,,,,,,,,the biggest Diamond ring I ever found was in the dry sand right next to the lifeguard stand that gets hunted daily,,,,,It was a no water hunt day with waves and really just went to the beach to see how the waves were cutting and dry sand hunt for an hour or so,,,,,feel for you,,,,,a day to try and forget,,,,,,,just don't ask me to repeat my story of hunting with Dew one day and getting out of the water cause I didn't want to pee in my wet suit with Dew 20' away coming toward me and saying, well, go ahead, get that gold ring,,,,I am digging quarters and fishing weights so there is probably one here,,,,,when I returned to water, he was laughing and pulled it out of his pouch and said, you were right, there was one there,,,,:no:GL HH

Well, hopefully your "hunt buddy" Bill doesn't read this.... it is pretty derogatory to him.

Confidence in your ability is a good thing, but posting to the world how superior your techniques are as compared to the common mortals is not good form.

Anyways, good job to "Bill" for finding the goods.

Greg

Well, hopefully your "hunt buddy" Bill doesn't read this.... it is pretty derogatory to him.

Confidence in your ability is a good thing, but posting to the world how superior your techniques are as compared to the common mortals is not good form.

Anyways, good job to "Bill" for finding the goods.

Greg

I think you need to take a deep breath and relax. Have you never hunted with a regular partner? I would assume that these two hunt often and probably tease and make fun of each other and yell insults for making the first good find... all in good fun and nobody getting a sore butt.

Ouch! and Ouch!,,,,,,and another Ouch!,,,,,,,,,,,the biggest Diamond ring I ever found was in the dry sand right next to the lifeguard stand that gets hunted daily,,,,,It was a no water hunt day with waves and really just went to the beach to see how the waves were cutting and dry sand hunt for an hour or so,,,,,feel for you,,,,,a day to try and forget,,,,,,,just don't ask me to repeat my story of hunting with Dew one day and getting out of the water cause I didn't want to pee in my wet suit with Dew 20' away coming toward me and saying, well, go ahead, get that gold ring,,,,I am digging quarters and fishing weights so there is probably one here,,,,,when I returned to water, he was laughing and pulled it out of his pouch and said, you were right, there was one there,,,,:no:GL HH

Oh, that must have hurt. I think most folks pee inside the suit just for that reason:laughing:

Theoretically (here I go again) it makes sense that folks lose their most expensive rings in the dry sand, because they take those big blingers off before going in the water. But they don't always leave the ring under the towel. I recovered an engagement ring with a one carat main stone for a lovely gal who had stowed the ring in her bikini bottom before going in the water. Not to make a theme out of peeing here, but she crouched down on the sandbar to pee. Of course, when she next thought about her ring, and checked her bikini bottom in a panic, it was gone.

Oh, that must have hurt. I think most folks pee inside the suit just for that reason:laughing:

Theoretically (here I go again) it makes sense that folks lose their most expensive rings in the dry sand, because they take those big blingers off before going in the water. But they don't always leave the ring under the towel. I recovered an engagement ring with a one carat main stone for a lovely gal who had stowed the ring in her bikini bottom before going in the water. Not to make a theme out of peeing here, but she crouched down on the sandbar to pee. Of course, when she next thought about her ring, and checked her bikini bottom in a panic, it was gone.

Now THAT, is a funny story,,,,,:laughing:I have found gold rings in the sand, but never a really big diamond,,,,the one I did was just under a carrot,,,,I think the bigger diamonds get lost in the water, simply because the lady doesn't want to take it off and "loose it",,,,she leaves it on and after greasing up the kids with suntan lotion, gets in the water playing with the kids in the waves and wammo,,,,,,BUT, there are those cases where some nice ones do get lost in the sand,,,,I can tell you I was shocked when I got the honker in the sand,,,,as for the wet suit story,,,,,,I was 5 swings away from the ring,,I was new to winter hunting and I can promise you,,,,,no one would want one of my used wetsuits,,,:lol:GL HH

The same thing used to happen looking for arrowheads with a few friends. One day he was crowding me out and I stopped him and pointed across his chest at a perfect Hernando point laying right up on top...Stevie Wonder could have seen it.

Thats to funny. I found a 16 gram class ring last summer. It sounded like a bottletop. Some one already found it too...their coils imprint was right on top of the signal. I dug it and out plopped that lunka. lol

I suggested a new location to my hunt buddy "Bill", a public park on a beach that neither of us had ever trod before. When we got there, Bill started hunting immediately, right in front of the park. I on the other hand, went striding down the beach to hunt behind a luxury hotel about 200 yards south.

My natural inclination and habit was to swing the coil over the wet sand on my way there. But I checked my inclination and habit, smothered my fear that I might be bypassing a gold ring, and shouldered my detector, dedicating myself to my goal of finding the "Big One"; the Big One being a quality ring with a big expensive stone, that would much more likely be found behind a luxury hotel, than behind the local park, in theory. I felt proud that I had the discipline to follow my dream.

Indeed, I felt I had taken a march on poor old Bill, so doggedly searching without any analysis or strategy, the first available bit of beach he encountered. Even my beagle, Dumbo, is far more selective and thoughtful in her choice of where we go for walks, often insisting on rapidly trotting to some distant point that she finds of greatest interest to her. Poor Bill, I thought, he is a mere primitive, a dull fellow, who relies for his modest finds entirely on mindless persistence, physical strength and endurance.

The beach between the park and the hotel was fronted by several large condominiums. Bill worked his way south past each condo, thoroughly hunting the same stretch of wet sand, and occasionally a little of the water, over which I had flown in my haste to reach the hotel as quickly as possible. In the meantime, I hunted the water behind the hotel, determined to cover as much of it as I could before Bill inevitably arrived to horn in on my spot.

I do not know whether he crowds me because he is naturally a herd animal, or because he depends on me to do his thinking for him, or because he thinks I'm his Lucky Charm. Anyway, there I was, feeling quite frustrated by the luxury hotel's beach, having found only garbage and maybe a few clad. And here comes Bill, swinging his detector like a Terminator, thoroughly covering ground at an incredible pace only a machine could maintain. I was sure he would miss 50% of the targets at that speed, and I had little reason to fear he would find anything good.

He got up to within 10 yards of me, stopped, posed like a model with his hand stretched out on his leg. I was sort of worried about him, that was unnatural. He just kept looking at me with a horrible grin. I notice his fingers were waving up and down on his leg like a sea fan. I came closer and then I saw two gold bands on his fingers that I'd never seen there before.

"You went right over these, dude!" He cried out.

Oh...the horror! The horror...

Back
Top Bottom