Soldiers Hook?

Aberdumbie

I am an old guy. New to the forum though and struggle dearly with technology. That’s actually funny when you know that my wife is technology director at a major university..... So I have a question and I will attempt to illustrate the relic since my attempts at attaching a photo have failed.

Was on a three day organized hunt in an area that has both revolutionary as well as civil war history to it. I dug several cool finds, but one is not familiar to me. First glance it appears to be a railroad spike. A hand hammered wide spike that tapers to a sharp point one end and has a hook on the other end. Maybe five inches long. It could be revolutionary period or civil war period. I carried the relic to the main camp where most of the other detector folks were hanging out. One of the fellows thought it was carried by soldiers to drive into a tree in camp to hang a lantern or something similar.

I know a picture is worth a thousand words and sooner or later I’ll figure it out. Does this description sound like anything familiar to anyone else?

That is not a bad thought. Not quite as romantic as a soldiers hook though!

The pictures will decide... if your on a phone download tapatalk it’s an app for forums and you can upload pics straight from your phone through the app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pictures will decide... if your on a phone download tapatalk it’s an app for forums and you can upload pics straight from your phone through the app

For me.... It would be simpler to set the tach and dwell on a 383 stroker engine! I’ll give it a go though.

For me.... It would be simpler to set the tach and dwell on a 383 stroker engine! I’ll give it a go though.

An example, click ghat button and the app brings up your pics to upload
a7d1b94d592a2d8bb36dccba9f81b666.jpg

Yep and it looks like half a gate hinge, the other half would be similiar but have a loop at the end. Your piece would attach to the get and set in the loop.

Well, not quite what I had hoped, but still is history rescued from the dirt. Thanks.

Any coins on your three day hunt?

Not for me. It was a 4500 acre site with more than 100 diggers. I did see two buffalo nickels and one Peace dollar found.... See, I have been a rabid coin collector for fifty years. It’s where my interest in metal detecting came from. The day I dig something other than a Lincoln Memorial cent will be the happiest day of my life!.... Hope my wife doesn’t read that..

Back
Top Bottom