Sand Beach vs Bark Tot-Lot

neilbert

Took advantage of the nice break in the weather here in Mass and got out for a bit. Noticed something - when I’m detecting on the beach at the lake, I get a hit at both ends of just about every swing. I don’t get it if I move to redetect that area. When I’m detecting the bark covered tot lot, or the grass nearby, I don’t get the end-of-swing hits either. As far as I can tell, there’s no material difference in my swing between the two. Is this more likely a problem with me, my detector (Ricomax GC-1028) or my location?

Thanks!

I'm unfamiliar with your type of machine, but I'll offer a couple things to consider. First, check your batteries. Second, do you have anything in your pockets (phone & keys) that could be triggering hits on your upswing? Third, my machine does not do well around shells - particularly compacted oyster and mussel shells. Where in Mass are you? I'm originally from Wareham in Plymouth County, though I left for the Air Force in 1996.

Check the cable and make sure it does not have any movement especially at the bottom end coming off the coil. If my AT Pro is loose at all it will do exactly that.

Neil, Check to see if you have developed a habit in your swing where the ends of your swing is much higher up off the ground than the distance to the ground in the center of your swing. I followed a fellow in the park that was very busy swinging and I was amazed at to the distance of his arc. He was a good 6+ inches off the grass at the end of his swing and he was touching the grass in the center of his swing. He was also swinging very fast as to cover all the ground b4 I could detect those areas.

The Ricomax GC-1028 is a very low-end machine. There's a whole bunch of reasons that you might be getting falsing. I know when I ran a lower-end machine, I'd get falsing for a whole bunch of reasons.

It could be encountering mineralization issues on the sand.

You could also be experiencing some interference in the sand location, with some EMI (electromagnetic interference).

Having my cell phone in my pocket caused a false on any left-side swing, when it was turned on, for example.

I also found that in some areas, where there is a buried electrical line, I'd get falsing on both ends.

Check your pockets, for steel-toed boots, and for EMI. Barring that, check your connections.

Cheers,

Skippy

Thanks everyone -

A few things you had noted were things I thought of (arcing swing, batteries, cable connection) so I'm happy I had some good ideas. A couple of others are things I'll have to think about next time the weather & wife permit me an outing.

Dirty Nails, I'm in Worcester. Minimal shells out here.
Skippy_SH13 hit on my gut feel - it's not a great machine. I'll work with it's limitations for now and upgrade to something a bit more substantial later on.

Thanks everyone -

A few things you had noted were things I thought of (arcing swing, batteries, cable connection) so I'm happy I had some good ideas. A couple of others are things I'll have to think about next time the weather & wife permit me an outing.

Dirty Nails, I'm in Worcester. Minimal shells out here.
Skippy_SH13 hit on my gut feel - it's not a great machine. I'll work with it's limitations for now and upgrade to something a bit more substantial later on.

That's ok. You should start with any machine thats low end and be sure you really like the hobby. If it addicts you like us,,, then get something better. You will see the higher end, has features like Noise Cancell and Ground balance that help with most noise issues. And try to swing nice and level,,, they say "Low n Slow". Then that dog el hunt. GL HH.

:)

Neil, Check to see if you have developed a habit in your swing where the ends of your swing is much higher up off the ground than the distance to the ground in the center of your swing. I followed a fellow in the park that was very busy swinging and I was amazed at to the distance of his arc. He was a good 6+ inches off the grass at the end of his swing and he was touching the grass in the center of his swing. He was also swinging very fast as to cover all the ground b4 I could detect those areas.

Would be very funny to find a bunch of goods as you cover behind him. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom