Ace 400 vs AT pro

seagullplayer

Other than the AT being completely waterproof, I'm not seeing much to justify the difference in price?

I will never make use of the waterproof feature.

Anyone own both that can show me where I'm missing it?

Other than the AT being completely waterproof, I'm not seeing much to justify the difference in price?

I will never make use of the waterproof feature.

Anyone own both that can show me where I'm missing it?

The ACE 400...
-has a set ground balance. AT Pro has adjustable ground balance.

-runs on 10kHz. Good for coin shooting and larger jewelry. ATPro runs on 15kHz, which is a good compromise between deep coin shooting and getting good IDs on smaller/thinner relic/jewelry, as well as better separation in trashier areas.

-has a similar three tone audio as the AT Pro, but the ACE audio is not as descriptive as the Pro Audio on the AT Pro. A major difference is the ACE lacking volume modulation by depth.

-has the same 99 scale as the AT Pro, but iron audio and notch discrimination are less flexible. The ACE has 7 notch segments within 40-99 and 5 notch segments within iron (0-39). The AT Pro has 12 segments within 40-99 (every block of 5) and iron descrimination can be increased from 0-39 in single units.

-is not waterproof above the coil. The AT Pro can be completely submerged.

You might not ever submerge it in a river or ocean, but it sure is nice to simply hose it off after a muddy hunt or not worry about rain.

Last edited:
Another thing that Toysoldier did not mention about the 400 is it is very nose heavy and has a youth sized cuff. The ground balance will also limit where it can be used with any amount of sensitivity. AT with the smaller coil is prime stuff old science but works well.

I wouldn't be to set about not using the waterproof function. My pro gets wet from rain, sprinklers and the garden hose more than it does from hunting. It's convenient being able to hose off mud or more often grass clippings. Small creek and river swimming holes where people have been emptying their pockets for years are great places to hunt. If you start finding silver and gold on the creek bank you will always wonder what's in the creek. Most of my water hunts are ankle deep and on hot summer days when it's too hot to enjoy detecting anywhere else. I really don't need a waterproof machine, but one slip and fall into the creek or sudden rain storm could ruin a non waterproof machine

I have an ace 400 that bought in late 2017 as an upgrade to my previous machine. I really wanted an at pro but couldn't afford it at the time. Since I've had it I've logged hundreds of hours with it and have come to know what the tones and tdi's are saying pretty well. I've built a confidence with it and have found some pretty amazing stuff with it. I live in an area with a lot of activity going back to the mid 1700's so the stuff is here which is more important than what your swinging. I did nail the screen of the 400 with my lesche late last fall and need to send it in for an overhaul lol. That all being said with the 400 down I am taking the opportunity to a water proof machine as I do hunt near the water a lot and have had too many close calls. As much as I've wanted to end up with a pro I'll probably be picking up a simplex due to cost vs results. Anyhow don't discount how valuable waterproof might be to you in the future.

I own and use both but the Pro is my primary detector and the 400 is my backup. Though the Ace has a preset ground balance I've been able to use it everywhere I've gone with it and have found good items at 7-8 inch depths.
As mentioned by others the Pro is submersible BUT you can't dive with it unless you buy the waterproof headphones which are a bit pricey. The Ace comes with a rain cover so you can still be out in the rain with it. Both get good battery life and are both easy to swing without arm fatigue. I don't find either to be nose heavy. The pro has two modes....standard and pro. I used standard for awhile until I was familiar with the detector and then started detecting in pro mode. In Pro mode pinpointing is a tad more precise than in standard mode.
The VDI numbers are larger on the Ace which I prefer. Though I use similar settings on both detectors the Pro seems to hit better on nickels and I seem to dig more pulltabs when using the Ace. The separation between Zinc and copper pennies is better on the Pro which is good for me because I try to ignore zinc pennies. I like both machines and I don't think you'd go wrong with either......push to shove, I like the Pro a little better. You could always get a Pro and have the 400 as a backup or to let someone else use if you hunt with wife or kids.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's input.

I have owned an ACE 250 for over ten years. I have been very happy with it.
It is not water proof either, but that has not been an issue.

I knew that the AT would have features the ACE did not, I am just not sure they would make much difference to what I hunt and where.

The built in ground balance has never been an issue with the 250 where I live, so I don't expect it to be with the 400.

I don't "need" to upgrade my 250, but I plan to gift it to one of my adult son's. My other adult son has a 250 now.
So this is a good time for me to get something maybe a slight step up. I was looking at the ACE 300 to start with and found out about the 400.

It looks like I found a crazy good deal on a new 400 at a local dealer.
Maybe I'll post an update when I seal the deal.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I have owned an ACE 250 for over ten years. I have been very happy with it.
It is not water proof either, but that has not been an issue.

I knew that the AT would have features the ACE did not, I am just not sure they would make much difference to what I hunt and where.

The built in ground balance has never been an issue with the 250 where I live, so I don't expect it to be with the 400.

I don't "need" to upgrade my 250, but I plan to gift it to one of my adult son's. My other adult son has a 250 now.
So this is a good time for me to get something maybe a slight step up. I was looking at the ACE 300 to start with and found out about the 400.

It looks like I found a crazy good deal on a new 400 at a local dealer.
Maybe I'll post an update when I seal the deal.

You need the At pro👍:yes::yes::yes:

Buy the 400. I haven't used either one but it's probably a good step up from what you have. Garrett (and others) should be coming out with something better than the AT and you can sell it, then upgrade.

Brought a new ACE 400 tonight after work.
The deal included the cordless headphone setup.

It's together and ready to go. Just so happened my new pointer came in the mail today.

I'm excited about getting out soon. I would like to think this weekend...

It's together and ready to go. Just so happened my new pointer came in the mail today.

Congrats on the new machine..Read alot of good reviews on that 400

I own one and we have come to be very good buddies, it knows that if it let's me down I will have to send it out for adoption :yes:

More depth with the AT Series. These are air tests to show a detector's maximum potential. Results in your soil will vary.

Attachments

• all machines.jpg
    all machines.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
Does it have to be garrett? I would highly recommend the makro simplex+, an incredible machine for the price... but if i had to choose between the garrett AT Pro and Ace 400, the AT pro hands down...

Back
Top Bottom