First Beach MD Foray

Aberdumbie

My first outing with my new metal detecting setup was to a South Carolina beach. I had visions in my mind of Spanish Cobb’s, rings, etc..... Now mind you this was my first outing and I was not familiar with my gear at all. My question has to do with my pin pointer it is a Garret Pro Pointer II. It chirped non-stop once I reached the water. Now I didn’t submerge the pointer but it did get wet in the sand. I finally removed the battery To hush it up, packed up the gear and went swimming. Fortunately I did get back into the swing a few days later and things are working as they are supposed to.... I have to ask though. Is salt water somehow detrimental to a pin pointer?

Last edited:
I don't use a Pp'er but you think it may be, the field from your metal detector setting it off. I'm lost on this subject other then I tried a PP'er years ago and found my excalibur would go crazy when I turned it on...so I gave it away.

What Joe said is right on... although I recently used a PPer with the TDI Beachhunter and it was fine no extra noises...

Some detectors will work fine in water an some won’t. Depends on brand and model.
I’m not near any salt water.
Try turning on the pin-pointer with the tip touching the ground or if using in water turn it on with the tip in the water.

Doug

Non stop chirping is usually an indication of a low battery or the terminals of the battery not making good contact with the contacts in the pointer.

If it’s not the battery you might consider lowering the sensitivity. Test it with the same thing you are trying to find. To make sure you can pp it closely. That fixed my profind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't use a pin pointer on the beach. For me, it's only place is in the dirt. Once you've been detecting for a while you'll discern targets much better and even on tiny objects I will usually be able to feel them with my fingers pretty quickly.

Most pinpointers are single VLF detectors and, as such, go crazy in saltwater. There are pinpointers that are pulse induction (PI) and these work better in the salt water environment. So, if you want a pinpointer that works well in saltwater, get a PI pinpointer. But one warning; I have gone through 3 Fisher F-pulse (PI) pointers and do NOT recommend that pointer.

I don't use a pin pointer on the beach. For me, it's only place is in the dirt. Once you've been detecting for a while you'll discern targets much better and even on tiny objects I will usually be able to feel them with my fingers pretty quickly.

I totally agree. A good scoop is a better friend for the beach. Hope you find a pile of the Cobbs and rings out there!

Felix. You nailed it

If your hunting sand you gotta use a scoop.

Back
Top Bottom