Wise Guy Pull Tab

Seems my pic would make a pretty good avatar, but as I'm rather fond of the one I have, feel free all who asked (and anyone else) to use it yourself.

Oddly enough, I dug a second one a few days later... I dig many more beaver tail pull tabs with the Sov. Does anyone know when they stopped using this kind of pulltab?

EDIT - nevermind, as usual Wikipedia knows all:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage_can

The first all-aluminum cans were the same as their forebears, which still used the can opener to open them. Mikolaj Kondakow of Thunder Bay, Ontario invented the pull tab version for bottles in 1956[Canadian patent 476789]. Then, in 1962, Ermal Cleon Fraze of Dayton, Ohio invented the similar integral rivet and pull-tab version (also known as rimple or ring pull), which had a ring attached at the rivet for pulling, and which would come off completely to be discarded. He received U.S. Patent No. 3,349,949 for his pull-top can design in 1963 and licensed his invention to Alcoa and Pittsburgh Brewing Company. It was first introduced on Iron City beer cans by the Pittsburgh Brewing Company. The first soft drinks to be sold in all-aluminum cans were R.C. Cola and Diet-Rite Cola, both made by the Royal Crown Cola company, in 1964.

Pull-tabs were a common form of litter. Some users dropped the aluminum tab into the can and occasionally swallowed the sharp-edged tab by accident. Stay tabs (also called colon tabs) were invented by Daniel F. Cudzik of Reynolds Metals in Richmond, Virginia in 1975 [1] [2], partly to prevent the injuries caused by removable tabs. In this can model described in U.S. Patent No. 3,967,752,[3] the lid contains a scored region and a pull-tab that can be leveraged to open the hole by pushing the scored region into the can. Stay tabs almost completely replaced pull-tabs in many parts of the world by the early 1980s, though pull-tabs are still common in places such as China and the Middle East.

Back
Top Bottom