Huge Scare!!!

Jakk

Ok, so as everyone obviously knows, I have been waiting "patiently" for my metal detector to come in for the better part of two weeks. So, as I'm "patiently" watching the UPS website at around 3:15pst, I notice something strange. The Status on my package says "Delivered", but I'm still detectorless. I, as with many of you if you ran into this situation, was scared. I feared the detector was delivered to the wrong address and actually signed for and kept. So, as I rushed to my car to go to the local UPS store to make them regret messing with this "patient" person, I had a thought. I headed down to the office of my apartments just in case the UPS guy had been lazy. When I entered the office not a soul was in, the only things there were the manager's many office items and a lonely box in the middle of the room. This poor thing that looked as if it had been abandoned and left to die had some writing on it. I went in for a closer look and much to my surprise, it was wrapped in tape that had a friendly message on it. "Kellyco Metal Detector Superstore"! I wasted no time in finding the local maintenance worker to give me permission to take my box and soon I had it in my apartment.

Yes, the detector you all have heard me complaining about is finally here!

So, since I've put all of you through so much in the last few days, I figure I should let you all see what I've been waiting for.

When I first opened the box, all I could see was about 40 feet of wrapped brown paper. It was like there was a jungle protecting my treasure. I was like Indiana Jones, cutting through the jungle to get to the wondrous treasures. After the jungle was "taken care of", I took the first glimpse at my beauty.
Firstglance.jpg

I couldn't help it. I dug into the box to find my treasures! First was the "composite" Digger, "composite" being a fancy word for plastic.
Digger1.jpg

Next I pulled out my Pinpointer which I spent an extra $16.00 just to have shipped with my package. It was.... Big.... It had to have been at least a foot and a half long.
Pinpointer01.jpg

After sifting through the papers which were of no importance to me since they had no warranty information or other useful printings, I grabbed the main attraction, the feature show, Le Pièce de Résistance. The box was just begging to be opened.
Piratebox1.jpg

It was like opening the treasure chest you spent your life unearthing.
pirateboxopen.jpg

Once out of the box and in my hands, it took me mere minutes to assemble. The way I assembled it, the detector is just long enough to hover above the ground as I walk. The headphone cable is perfect, with it coiled the way it is, I can stand straight up with the detector lying on the ground beside me without any worry of breaking the cable.

The fully assembled detector feels weightless and the headphones fit snuggly over my ears. I can't complain about anything so far. I haven't tested it, yet. I have however tested my pinpointer and thankfully, it detects my eyebrow piercing. The pinpointer did not come with batteries, but I used one of the detectors 9v to test the pinpointer.

Well, this is $316.00, everyone. I love it and am so glad it is finally here.
Everything.jpg

YAY!!!! Let us know when you're heading out to practice.

Gee.... I'll bet you're already gone. :lol:

I'm actually going out right now, just to the front area of the apartments. Before I got to the parks and stuff for a real run, I have to run to safeway or walmart to grab some new 9vs so that my pinpointer will work. Lol

Change of plans. I'm going to have to hit somewhere with gravel or woodchips or something for my first time out. My "Composite" digger isn't sharp enough to cut through any type of real ground. I'll be back later, guys. I'll make sure to report to you guys with pictures and such.

Congrats on your HeadHunter Pirate. I have a Wader model myself for beach use. Light as a feather and goes quite deep.

LOL... It's almost like a birth of a child... That digger will last about 10 seconds... you'll need to get yourself something metal that can pierce the ground for you. Interesting detector design.. never seen one of them before.. Cool looking though... Can't wait to see your first find buddy.. Congrats on the baby!

Congratulations!! Are you giving out cigars that says "It's A Detector"?:lol: Good luck and happy hunting. Looking forward to seeing your first finds.:yes:

Hey guys, I'm finally back. I went a bit overboard, but I was enjoying myself. The hunt began with me heading to my parent's place because they have a yard and I can put holes in it. I tested the thing out and it worked great. I was finding small pieces of screws and such at 4-5inches. I was also finding large nails at 6inches+. After the initial test which consisted of 2 screws and a rock, don't ask how I got the rock, but it set off the detector, I grabbed Nicole and we set off for her old grade school. She had said that she used to find a lot of clad there. Well, when we got there we hit the tot lot, as the ground was too tough for my plastic digging tool. The tot lot provided us with a few nails and some staples, who knew they were so dangerous? We also grabbed 2 pennies and a dime from the playground, made my heart pound for 12 cents and I loved it. After the school, we hit the beach which yielded more nails, some random pieces of rusted metal, a bottle cap, pull tab and 2 pennies, 1 nickel, 1 dime and 1 quarter. It was getting pretty late so we headed home. Once we arrived we realized our cable bill was due tomorrow, so we grabbed it and went to drop it off in their box. On the way back we saw another tot lot that I had planned on going to anyways. We went in and found even more nails. I swear our city is trying to kill the children. So, after we weren't getting any more signals from the lot, we went over to the baseball field that kids play at on recess and decided to dig a few targets and I learned to pinpoint with my detector quite fast. I got it down to a 2"x2" hole at the biggest. Well, those were my small screw and nut pieces.

So, from 5 hours of detecting I made $.54! Oh yeah, I also found a marble on the ground on my walk to the first school playground, so one of my first official finds.

Congratulations Jakk! Sounds like you're having a good time. Don't know if you are using gloves but if not, you should. You're bound to find shredded pop cans and broken glass.

Can't wait to hear how it works in the surf.

Nails

Speaking of nails in tot lots, I have been finding tons of 6 inch nails. I keep them in a bag so if anyone gives me a look, I just ask them if their tetanus is up to date, and show them the long nails. THEN, they're grateful for my using the detector there. I look at the time of collecting them as volunteer work! I was wondering if anyone has stepped on any nails while detecting though......... maybe I better go get a booster shot myself!!

I definitely have been using gloves. They're just a pair of old batting gloves, but so far anything I hit has not gone through them. I went out yesterday to a few parks and came back with $.14, 1 dime and 4 pennies. Also found some "Phencing Machine" token. I'll post a pic after work. And again I found TONS of rusted screws and nails in the tot lots. It's getting scary how much I find.

Now, my quick take on the detector. I am loving it. It does do a few random beeps over the pea gravel on the tot lots, but I've learned to ignore those. It's just when it goes over a sharp hill on the pea gravel or if it hits 1 of them in a swing. The depth of this detector is nothing like I had thought. I bought a new digger that is a complete 12" ruler, also. When I dug my firts penny, it was in the grass/dirt and by the time it was out, my entire digger was below the dirt level. I guess that means it found a penny (Not wheaty) at over 12".
I was also finding water pipes at least a foot and a half to two feet down on the beach. They were probably 3 inches in diameter.

Lol. Well, if anyone wants a nice cheap beach detector that works on land, I'd say this one is it for sure. Easy to learn to use and easy to pinpoint with it just by swinging it.

Awesome Jakk, glad to see it finally showed. Still perplexed as to how it was "Delivered" and yet sitting at the office?

Well done on the new machine Jakk. It's one I've never heard of, is it US made or like everything else now, from China ?

You seem to be getting good results from it, which is the important thing.

The machine is Detector Pro and I can't find the "Made In" stamp, right now.

So, I just got back from an after work testing of a local grade school. It seems I found my first area that needs cleaned out. I didn't come up with much, but I did get $.30 in clad. Since it's one of my bets finds yet, here's the picture.
71108.jpg

Yeah. Anyone curious about that token I found, I looked at it and it's "Iron Mike's Pitching Machine". Probably from the batting cages right by the park I was in.

So yeah, I'm loving my machine. Very basic to use as it only has discrimination and volume. I don't use the discrimination and volume is self explanatory. It goes deep, I found a DEEP penny and was finding DEEP water pipes. I also picked up a big wire mesh thing under the tot lot's gravel, today.

Yep, I'd suggest this machine to anyone who needs a good beach/ park machine and can't spend a lot. :D

Back
Top Bottom