Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 01-23-2020, 01:23 PM

Default Makro Simplex + good in salt water?

So I had narrowed down my 1st detector purchase to either the Garrett AT Pro, Makro Simplex + or Equinox 800.

However, after doing some research, it seems that the Garrett does not do so well in salt water. I plan on doing a lot of saltwater beach hunting.

That left me with the Simplex or the Equinox, however with the huge price difference, I was thinking the Simplex + would be the way to go. Does anyone have experience with the Simplex + in salt water?

Oh and what about the Equinox 600...what is the main difference between the 600 and 800? Would the Simplex + be better...or at least as good as the Equinox 600?

Thanks!
John

Old 01-23-2020, 02:45 PM
Supporter

The short answer is you could get by, but it isn't pleasant in my experience. I brought mine along to the brackish bay out of curiosity and got the results I knew I would get, an unstable detector as soon as it hits the salt.

My Equinox has no issues in the salt. It sometimes gets chatty at the water transition point, but find once its in. Granted, I'm primarily a dirt hunter and don't really have the first clue what I'm doing in water, but a single freq vs multi freq detector for saltwater is pretty much a decided race universally.

Originally Posted by hddeuce03 View post
So I had narrowed down my 1st detector purchase to either the Garrett AT Pro, Makro Simplex + or Equinox 800.

However, after doing some research, it seems that the Garrett does not do so well in salt water. I plan on doing a lot of saltwater beach hunting.

That left me with the Simplex or the Equinox, however with the huge price difference, I was thinking the Simplex + would be the way to go. Does anyone have experience with the Simplex + in salt water?

Oh and what about the Equinox 600...what is the main difference between the 600 and 800? Would the Simplex + be better...or at least as good as the Equinox 600?

Thanks!
John

Old 01-24-2020, 12:07 AM
Elite Member

Equinox 600 good for saltwater.
How about the Vanquish for saltwater and it's cheap!!!

Old 01-24-2020, 07:17 AM
Elite Member

Thanks!
John

Hereís a link at the Minelab site that explains the differences:
https://www.minelab.com/usa/communit...vs-equinox-800
Good luck!

Old 01-29-2020, 10:43 AM

Hey all, new to the site. Iím looking for a salt water hunter as well. I bought the ATPro and was so frustrated itís now sitting in my garage doing nothing. Iím thinking about trying the Garrett Sea Hunter . Would love to hear how it does in salt water and wet sand. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-29-2020, 11:00 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by POOZ View post
Hey all, new to the site. Iím looking for a salt water hunter as well. I bought the ATPro and was so frustrated itís now sitting in my garage doing nothing. Iím thinking about trying the Garrett Sea Hunter . Would love to hear how it does in salt water and wet sand. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the Garrett Sea Hunter is a pulse induction machine which may or may not frustrate you just as much due to the inability to discriminate. Iím not an expert by no means, but Iíve run other PI machines on the beach and I found them maddening unless itís a cleaníish beach that gets detected a lot like Waikiki where you might want depth.

For around that same price range you can pick up a Minelab Equinox or a used Minelab Excalibur 2, or a used Fisher CZ-21 which I thought was a good machine when I owned it.

Old 02-12-2020, 04:20 PM

Thanks!
John
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m865f2YOjJw