Those who detect a distance from vehicle

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
OK, let me start by saying I'm not talking a mile or two hike, more like 2-500 yards across a fat field. I know it's not a huge distance, but having bad knees, saving a trip back to the truck would be great.

I can carry on me:
Detector, Finds pouch with hand trowel, pinpointer, gloves, headphones, larger digger.

What additional gear I'd like to take would be:

An 2nd detector (mine knock-down in 3-pcs), with different size coil than other detector

A few bottles of water, maybe a snack (if I plan on staying in the field a while)

A couple extra batteries

Kneepad (I only use 1)

A dozen surveyor flags

Notes, pics, info on particular site (some have had 6-8 homes on them)
Rain Poncho and cover for detector (just in case)

I do have a couple cheapie backpacks, which I've used a couple times. I prefer to get to where I'll hunt, and peel it off, it's not something I want to constantly wear. Before I venture too far (from the extra stuff), I generally pick it up and move it in the direction I'm detecting.

Anyone got a magical idea, or am I basically on the right track? Not looking to go buy a $100+ pack for such a short distance, and I'm not packing all that much weight, the water is probably the worst of it.

So, show me how you haul your stuff (those who do)....and the 1st one to call me a big 'ol girl for not just walking back to the truck.....gets hit with my purse :p

How about a garden wagon? they have large enough wheels for "offroad" use and can carry quite a bit of stuff.

Field stubble or plowed/disc'd fields would make it impossible to pull. I actually have a nice Harbor Freight one, but just no way it would be feesible. Thanks for the thought though!

Have you looked at the backpack water canteens? Or you could build a catapult in the back of your truck and just shoot your backpack across the field. Your lunch would be waiting when you get there.

Take a side by side [emoji12]

Would sure be nice, but not enough distance to justify the cost. Bought a new Honda Rubicon several years back, wish I'd kept it.

Have you looked at the backpack water canteens? Or you could build a catapult in the back of your truck and just shoot your backpack across the field. Your lunch would be waiting when you get there.

I like the catapult idea, but then I'd have to haul it into the field to shoot my gear back to the truck :D

Here ya go !!!!!

......4 wheel bike with cargo space for equipment :lol:
4wheelbikeMD.jpg

My problem is that I roam to a great distance from my car. From across a field I have seen several kids(?) gather around my car. I don't know what they had in mind because they left when one of them noticed me coming at them with my Sampson in my hand. The area where I hunt isn't in the best neighborhood. I had a police officer check out my car because he said it is in an area where they dump stolen cars. Most of them know my car by now but he was new. He thought that my detector was a weed eater and that I worked for the park.

My Pet Mule "Deezul"

Less time walkin, more time huntin!!

http://metaldetectingforum.com/picture.php?albumid=5909&pictureid=76289

Actually I really enjoy and feel fortunate to be able to offer transport for up to 3 friends plus gear with me on my Mule to some relic sites that are hard to get to so I know exactly what Gauntlet means. Some of those fields are long and wide and after 2-3 hours of hopping rows even the young whippersnappers take note.

I know that my Senior detectorist friends appreciate the ride, as I'am one of them myself.

Last edited:
Wom27, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't having grandkids require having kids? :lol:

I think I'll just stick with the backpack, might even upgrade to a little better quality one. Mine (extremely cheap ones) have no frame, they're basically a bag with shoulder straps, so they get uncomfortable pretty quick.

Appreciate the ideas, and laughs though!

I venture quite a ways from the pickup/plane homestead hunting and only take detector, trowel, water and occasionally energy bar and pistol. Just never found a need to pack a lot of stuff.

I'd just take my shove and leave the detector in the car. Then dig random holes. I'd probably find as much stuff as I have lately...

Back
Top Bottom