If you only could have one metal detector what would it be?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
If you could only have one metal detector which brand and model would you buy or use. Also tell us why, and the main type of hunting you do most of the time.

Remember, you can only have one detector to hunt with for this question.

A further qualification for this question is don't waste time and space to say why you would not use band x and model y. That tends to get the thread canceled after a few heated replies.

This is forcing the multi detector owners to make a choice so we can learn from their opinions. A lot of us only have one detector and or choose not to own multiple brands and models.

******************** Results **********************
Here are the results so far as of Jan 12, 2018. A lot of people indicated the type of detecting they favored eg, beach, land, gold nuggets and coins and that seem to mirror their choice of detector’s strong points. Which made total sense.

CTX 3030 – 10
Equinox (both 600/800) – 9 *
Etrac – 7
Xp Deus – 2
Explorer – 2
Multi Kruzer – 2
All others – 1 each

Out of 54 people responding

Several ranked two or three detectors and I only counted the top one.
Not trying to prove at all this detector is better than that detector or even start up that type of thread.

Note: Nox users did not indicate 600 or 800 so lumped them into to just Nox category And had they done so I suspect etrac would be in position #2.

Last edited:
Equinox

It is DEEP, does everything I want.. Is far better than anything else I have owned and hits both Low and high conductors, hits coins on edge that most have missed. Found a 1917 mercury dime that has been passed over in probably the most hunted spot in a certain park of mine that was missed by probably 100's of detectors over the years.. this alone SOLD me on the abilities of this machine.. my only regret is not getting the 800 as I would like to tone out certain things.

I am mainly a dirt fisherman but occasionally hit a beach or two

Easy answer.

A one detector( setup) that can do all of what Equniox 800 does, and Deus with Hf coil, and Nokta Anfibio, Minelab CTX, and Tarsacci mdt-8000 does.

Right now, no such animal exists unfortunately.

See how easy that was.

Ole Captain was wrong it seems.

Ask this question later here my answer my indeed be different. Depending on what is developed and released.

My Equinox ,Its light,has great seperation recovery speed,is deep and very important..handles saltwater.
Did I mention waterproof to about 10 ft.:grin:

CTX3030.

Nowadays I primarily hunt coins and the 3030 is easily the best one I've used for that purpose. Unmistakable tones, accurate ID and Target Trace make picking out deep silver like shooting fish in a barrel. Even on sites that have modern trash.

Was the E-trac

Now the CTX3030 land coin hunter , and now beach the waterproof option was the reason for upgrading, however sometime's swinging the 3030 with the 17 is heavy , so i also have the lighter-cuz -Equinox 800

Tesoro Lobo Super Traq

I have two, one I've used for 20+ years and one I bought recently from a forum member that's never been used. The LST has found 90% of everything I've ever found since the mid nineties.

It's an Amazing detector is really about all I can say as there's not many people that would care anyway because it's considered old tech. I also have two of the latest and greatest but so far neither has exceeded the capability of the LST.

I don't regret buying high tech and I do enjoy using them but for ease of use, speed, reliability and capability the LST holds it's own and leads them in several areas.

Warranty?? I've never had to be concerned with it because I've never had a problem. if repair should become an issue? the LST has been in production for 20+ years so picking another one up would be easy and cheap as there's a lot of them out there.

I'm strictly a land/relic hunter so yes, I would still today choose an LST over anything else and never look back if I had to make a one and only detector choice.

I would be glad to answer any LST questions by PM should anyone be curious.

It beeps- I dig-

For a year it’s been a Mojave. Simple and effective haven’t ran out of targets to dig yet. Don’t think I ever will! Don’t care about digging 10” and if I missed something then so what? It’s on to the next gold!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It beeps- I dig-

For a year it’s been a Mojave. Simple and effective haven’t ran out of targets to dig yet. Don’t think I ever will! Don’t care about digging 10” and if I missed something then so what? It’s on to the next gold!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

;)

Well, admittedly I look at all metal detectors as a money making tools primarily...Bang for buck and ROI...I aint in this for the Fun, I'm all about getting rich quick!

..In this light I have to have a rig that runs on AA's for a really long time.....Gotta have the AA's first...then a lot of speed and ergonomics...a lot of reserve power and ample settings for whatever situation comes along that can make me the most money the fastest..pulling me gold and clad and whatnot the dirt holds?

Agreed, I am not out hunting for masked or deep Rosie dimes, or even Mercs...Why should I when I can pull their value 'Ready to spend' in fresh dropped Q's chip kicking through a totter or working a snow pile, or under the bleachers..? I dont give a Tinkers cuss about finding history, unless its valuable and I can offload it easily for big money...

So yeah, the rig has gotta be light, its gotta be fast, simple, and it MUST run on AA's!...as a survival tool!...a guy can pull AA's out of about any garage door side sensors all over the place...

So yeah..if I could only have one rig, and I NEEDED it to survive off of my finds? Starting tomorrow? Hands down my F70 with the 11" dd...Her and a bicycle and maybe a blue tarp is all I need to start Life over.....Oh yeah, and a Stanley screwdriver, but hey, those are laying around all over the place too..so NBD...:laughing: The F70 is one quick broom!...

Just saying, do not discount this Dave Johnson designed platform at your peril...Or go ahead...I may need to be quick brooming some cash in your AO...

Attachments

• field of dreams-3.jpg
    field of dreams-3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1,296
  • field of dreams.jpg
    field of dreams.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 1,268
  • F70-1.jpg
    F70-1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,279
Deeptech Vista Smart for most pasture and farmlands, also my first choice on archaeological digs. It is a two-tone analogue machine, only discriminates within the iron range. Deep and fast at the same time. Very effective.

I would say the Etrac would be my one and only. However, the Nox 800 is finding me stuff I missed in areas I've pounded with all of my other detectors. If the Nox gave ID information like the Etrac or CTX then it would be my #1.

Back
Top Bottom