Whites mxt pro

badsix

new to metal detecting and interested in a Whites MXT Pro, what can you tell me about it.
Jay D.

new to metal detecting and interested in a Whites MXT Pro, what can you tell me about it.
Jay D.

Its a very reliable machine.. its very good in iron and its deep enough to keep up with newer detectors... some of the best hunters use the MXT all PRO... Just google Dave Wise aka HEAVYMETALNUT you can find him these days on facebook...

badsix said:
Jay D.
Jay, welcome to one of the greatest outdoor sports you could imagine. Sorry to hear that you are just now getting started because you sure missed out on the glory days some of us enjoyed way back when. You were 16 years and 2 months old when I built my first detector and got hooked on this great pastime and I have been enjoying it ever since.

I've been a very Avid Detectorist and have made it a point to try and get my hands on as many detectors as possible through the years to evaluate them, identify their strengths, and determine if they would be a good fit in my Detection Outfit. I know the MXT Pro well having worked with a prototype unit and then adding a production unit as soon as they were introduced. The MXT Pro was my #1 primary-use detector and served me well until I upgraded mid-January of 2015.

What is missing from your posted inquiry are the following:
• What type of detecting do you plan to do? (Coin Hunting, Relic hunting, Beach Hunting or Gold Nugget Prospecting.)
• What prompted your specific interest in the White's MXT Pro?
• Are there any other makes or models that interest you?
• Have you also considered adding one or two accessory coils to better work different site requirements?
• Do you have any budget-range restrictions for a detector and search coil purchase?

My Positive Opinions: The MXT Pro is a very functional general-purpose or multi-purpose detector. I devote most of my time to Relic Hunting out-of-the-way locations that typically have building rubble, nails, and a lot of ferrous and non-ferrous debris, and the MXT Pro, using White's own 6½" Concentric search coil, handled most environments very well.

The Relic mode has a very 'functional' Iron ID 2-Tone audio, and the controls are 'simple' and easy to access and adjust. For more open areas for both Relic Hunting and urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting, I found the open-frame 9" Concentric to be the better coil to complement the 6½" Concentric.

My Negative Opinions: The MXT Pro, or MXT All-Pro which is the same detector with an 'All' sticker on the side decals, has been around for a while and is, by comparison, over-priced. Most major manufacturers who had a competitive model either reduced the MSRP to stay competitive with the market, or they came out with a newer, more modern design that had new features, used a lighter-weight package, and had a more digital circuitry design.

The main complaints I have are it's too-high retail price; the lack of a 3 or 4 Tone ID option; it lacks some type of Iron Audio Volume control; and it uses 8-AA alkaline batteries when the industry has mostly transitioned to using 2 or 4 AA alkaline batteries.

I have 9 different models in my current outfit, two of which are White's offerings, and in my opinion the best general-purpose model they offer today is the MX-7. I have used all of their general-purpose detectors in a wide range of hunting environments and, dollar-for-dollar, I am very impressed with the MX-7. It has an MSRP that is $300 less than the MXT Pro and that can purchase an extra coil or two and have $$$ left over.

If you have any questions you would like to discuss off the forums, I'd welcome an e-mail. [email protected]

Monte

Jay, welcome to one of the greatest outdoor sports you could imagine. Sorry to hear that you are just now getting started because you sure missed out on the glory days some of us enjoyed way back when. You were 16 years and 2 months old when I built my first detector and got hooked on this great pastime and I have been enjoying it ever since.

I've been a very Avid Detectorist and have made it a point to try and get my hands on as many detectors as possible through the years to evaluate them, identify their strengths, and determine if they would be a good fit in my Detection Outfit. I know the MXT Pro well having worked with a prototype unit and then adding a production unit as soon as they were introduced. The MXT Pro was my #1 primary-use detector and served me well until I upgraded mid-January of 2015.

What is missing from your posted inquiry are the following:
• What type of detecting do you plan to do? (Coin Hunting, Relic hunting, Beach Hunting or Gold Nugget Prospecting.)
• What prompted your specific interest in the White's MXT Pro?
• Are there any other makes or models that interest you?
• Have you also considered adding one or two accessory coils to better work different site requirements?
• Do you have any budget-range restrictions for a detector and search coil purchase?

My Positive Opinions: The MXT Pro is a very functional general-purpose or multi-purpose detector. I devote most of my time to Relic Hunting out-of-the-way locations that typically have building rubble, nails, and a lot of ferrous and non-ferrous debris, and the MXT Pro, using White's own 6½" Concentric search coil, handled most environments very well.

The Relic mode has a very 'functional' Iron ID 2-Tone audio, and the controls are 'simple' and easy to access and adjust. For more open areas for both Relic Hunting and urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting, I found the open-frame 9" Concentric to be the better coil to complement the 6½" Concentric.

My Negative Opinions: The MXT Pro, or MXT All-Pro which is the same detector with an 'All' sticker on the side decals, has been around for a while and is, by comparison, over-priced. Most major manufacturers who had a competitive model either reduced the MSRP to stay competitive with the market, or they came out with a newer, more modern design that had new features, used a lighter-weight package, and had a more digital circuitry design.

The main complaints I have are it's too-high retail price; the lack of a 3 or 4 Tone ID option; it lacks some type of Iron Audio Volume control; and it uses 8-AA alkaline batteries when the industry has mostly transitioned to using 2 or 4 AA alkaline batteries.

I have 9 different models in my current outfit, two of which are White's offerings, and in my opinion the best general-purpose model they offer today is the MX-7. I have used all of their general-purpose detectors in a wide range of hunting environments and, dollar-for-dollar, I am very impressed with the MX-7. It has an MSRP that is $300 less than the MXT Pro and that can purchase an extra coil or two and have $$$ left over.

If you have any questions you would like to discuss off the forums, I'd welcome an e-mail. [email protected]

Monte

THANKS Monte, I think the bulk of my searching is going to be coins and jewelry and maybe some beach searching being that I live about 4 mi. from the ocean . we were camping with a group of people and metal detectors came up around the campfire. Whites name was mentioned so I did a little research and found they are about a 100 mi. from me so I plan on visiting them soon. i'm going to have about 1000.00 or a little more to spend and thought the MXT Pro and a pin pointer would be a nice starter for me. then progress to some other coils when I learn what they do differently. but I have 0 experience I this field that's why I'm here. so far the info has been great.
Jay D.

Cannot go wrong

Best dirt machine White's ever marketed. (jmho). A bit weighty compared to the newer MXS. I bought an MX Sport to use in wet conditions expecting
the same production. Not to be, it will be traded for something else shortly.

THANKS Monte, I think the bulk of my searching is going to be coins and jewelry and maybe some beach searching being that I live about 4 mi. from the ocean . we were camping with a group of people and metal detectors came up around the campfire. Whites name was mentioned so I did a little research and found they are about a 100 mi. from me so I plan on visiting them soon. i'm going to have about 1000.00 or a little more to spend and thought the MXT Pro and a pin pointer would be a nice starter for me. then progress to some other coils when I learn what they do differently. but I have 0 experience I this field that's why I'm here. so far the info has been great.
Jay D.

The MXT is not good in the wet sand on saltwater beaches.. dirt and dry sand you are golden..

Jay, it is good you're set to make a worthwhile investment in a detector and equipment, but I do think you could consider at least two models instead of only one.

badsix said:
THANKS Monte, I think the bulk of my searching is going to be coins and jewelry and maybe some beach searching being that I live about 4 mi. from the ocean . we were camping with a group of people and metal detectors came up around the campfire. Whites name was mentioned so I did a little research and found they are about a 100 mi. from me so I plan on visiting them soon.
Well, 4 miles from the coast and 100 miles from Sweet Home suggests you're here in Oregon. I live on the far eastern side of the state in Vale, about 20 miles from the Oregon / Idaho border. If I were closer I would try to get together with you and demonstrate the MXT Pro and a few other detectors and let you get an idea of what they offer, or lack, in performance.

The MXT Pro is a very capable detector and can provide very versatile performance on the coastal beaches as well as inland for Coin & Jewelry Hunting as well as Relic Hunting. However, as I stated before, I am not alone in the belief that it is still over-priced, and is a little behind in some features of a newer model, the MX-7, that has been out just slightly over a year.

badsix said:
i'm going to have about 1000.00 or a little more to spend and thought the MXT Pro and a pin pointer would be a nice starter for me. then progress to some other coils when I learn what they do differently. but I have 0 experience I this field that's why I'm here. so far the info has been great.
Jay D.
The MXT All-Pro was introduced just over 5 years ago and it was nothing more than the MXT Pro with the following changes:

• It has an 'All' sticker on the side decals. No internal changes.

• They switched from the 950 Concentric coil they used to use to the then-newer 10" D2 Double-D coil. Also at the name change it came with a new open-frame or spider type coil, the 9" Concentric.

There was nothing really wrong with the 950 Concentric, but they did have issues with the 10" DD coil. The best of the three coils they offered at that time was the 'extra' 9" Concentric open-frame coil It balances a little better than the 950 due to the rod-mount locations, and the field performance was very good.

Working a beach or wide-open area that has minimal trash targets, such as a farm field, sports field or large grassy park, the 9" to 10" coils can do 'OK'. But if hunting a trashier area it is to your advantage to use a smaller-than-stock search coil. The best for the MXT Pro is the 6½" diameter Concentric coil they labeled 5.3 Eclipse. That was my most-used search coil on the MXT Pro because I usually hunt in trashier and/or brushier sites.

The other model I suggest, the MX-7, comes standard with a 950 Concentric coil and the smaller, better choice for most hunting is the 6½" diameter coil they named the 'Six Shooter.'

I feel the best initial investment in a detector set-up should include both the standard coil and the smaller-size coil, which is a 6½" diameter Concentric in the case of these two models. The next accessory you should consider would be a good set of headphones. I have three different sets to complement each other as some do not work as well on some detectors as they do on another. White's offers their Pro Star which is my most-used headphones. Very comfortable and they work well.

The MXT Pro / All-Pro is more of an analog/digital blend circuitry whereas the MX Sport and MX-7 model circuitry is based on the MXT Pro but enhanced with full digital design. Either the MXT Pro or MX-7 can make a very good detector to get you into this great sport, but having used both of them a lot, I can't help but encourage the purchase of an MX-7 + 6½" Concentric coil + quality headphones and you'll be good-to-go.

Monte

thanks Monte I'm going to check out the mx-7 i'm not locked in on the mxt pro. i'v been to Vale several times bird hunting I like the dry climate over there.
Jay D.

badsix said:
thanks Monte .. i'v been to Vale several times bird hunting I like the dry climate over there.
Jay D.
Yes, I enjoy the drier climate for sure! As for bird hunting, it happens, but it's nothing like it was back in the '60s and most of the '70s. Pheasant hunting back then was as spectacular as Coin Hunting at that time.

Hi Jay,
welcome to this forum! I have nowhere near the experience or Monte or Tnsharpshooter or our forum moderator. I am a long-time gold prospector detectorist and only started coin, jewelry and relic detecting 4 years ago. I have gone through a lot of detectors since then to see which ones would work for me. Two of my favorites (even though I recently sold them) were the MX7 and the more simplified version of the MXTPro you are interested in, the Whites M6. Neither of these could handle the extreme mineralization in my area very well and I really wanted them for my daily detectors. I had to go in another direction. They are great detectors, easy to use for a beginner and still very challenging to know well. Like Monte, I believe the MX7 is the sleeper in the Whites line-up. If I lived in a different area with milder soil conditions I would definitely still own it. It is a really fine detector, period. The M6, like its more feature rich cousins the MXT and MXT Pro is more old school but it can definitely still hunt well and is fun to use. If you buy any of the Whites you are interested in I would also suggest that you try-out some of the Detech coils. They are very good coils too and give the M series detectors a little more immediate responsiveness in my opinion. I like the Whites 950 concentric coil but I really like the small Detech 7" coil and some of the Detech SEF coils, especially for the MX7.
good luck

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I'm really soaking all this info up. my wife bought me a Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 from Costco for Christmas :roll:. she heard me talking about metal detectors. anyway i'm still on the hunt for a quality metal detector.
Jay D.

The MXT Pro with the SEF 8" x 6" search coil is a match made in heaven. Once you put that search coil on, you'll never take it off. I really didn't care for the 950 search coil, so I sold it. I have a 5.3 (6") concentric search coil that I haven't gotten around to using out in the field yet. It and the SEF 8" x 6" search coil are so light that they can be swung all day long without any problem. The SEF 8" x 6" search coil also gets amazing depth and separates well.

beephead

Don't frown at that Bounty Hunter, it can find the goodies and be fun until you decide what you really want AND it may help you decide what you really want.

Yep i'm going to get it out tomorrow and play with it. I probably won't buy a new one until this spring March, April. I do have some spots I want to hunt and this one will be fun to take with me when I go scout them out. I know of a couple good spots but they are on state park forest land probably NO chance to get permission to hunt there.
Jay D.

Hi,
I'm with Bloodhound1970, the BH 3300 is a perfectly good starter detector with most of the same features of the Fisher F4 which is an excellent detector and it will prepare you very well for using a more mid-level detector later since the features on the 3300 translate to almost any other VLF detector. You have everything you need on the 3300 like manual ground balance, all metal and discrimination modes, notching, 4 tones, pinpointing, the zap feature is really cool and a decent coil. If your ground is not too mineralized you should be able to detect down to 7 inches easily and with good target ID down to 4". That is plenty deep for clad coins and recent jewelry drops. I don't know where you live but if you are allowed to hunt at public schools, public parks and tot lots the 3300 should be a lot of fun. Try to avoid running the sensitivity at 100%. It will be a lot more stable at 50 to 80% and you won't lose much depth. The 3300 is not a fast recovery speed detector so swing it fairly slowly like 1 second to the left and 1 second to the right. Your target should be in the center of the small circle of the coil. Use some good headphones or earbuds. Plus, you have enough money left to get a decent handheld pinpointer like one of the Garretts, a Deteknix-Quest Xpointer, or the new Teknetics Tek-Point. Check out the good Youtube vids by Russ Balbirona who is an FTP employee. I think he has a channel called RBs Variety.

Happy hunting,
Jeff

Thanks Jeff and yes i'm going to play with BH 3000 for a wile. i'm also thinking about a pin pointer I think one would be handy. I've been trying to think of all the old places around here to go and search. I wish my dad was still alive we use to explore a lot of old sites in this area.
Jay D.

Back
Top Bottom