Prototype Equinox complete shaft, ASSEMBLED! (Pictures -- PROTOTYPE #2 PICS ADDED)

Steve,

The counterbalance will be made of a short length (3-6", depending upon weight and customer desires) of carbon-fiber tube. And no, I'm not a sponsor, yet...

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:
Hey, all!

Just a quick update. Things are proceeding "nearly" on schedule; I expect shafts to begin shipping within the next 14 days. Some production progress has already occurred, with the rest of the shaft-building process to occur once the remainder of the parts arrive next week.

If you have mentioned interest in the past, please expect contact from me soon, so I can provide detailed information, and "shore up" my wait list. If you haven't contacted me in the past, and are interested, please let me know and I can put you on my "need to contact" list.

I am REALLY pleased with how the project has turned out! I think folks are going to really like these shafts!

THANKS!

Steve

EVERYONE -- just thought I'd provide an update on the counterweights. Parts arrived today, for the tubes. I'm VERY pleased with how they have turned out! Here is a 6 15/16" counterweight tube for the Minelab Equinox carbon-fiber shaft, which is capable of holding up to 30 oz. weight. Remember, any weight/length of tube can be produced, up to the full 6 15/16", per customer needs/desires.

CWflashcapon-small.jpg

CWflashcapoff-small.jpg

CWcapon-small.jpg

CWinstalled-end1.jpg

Thanks to everyone who provided input during the thread!

Steve

Looks awesome Steve. Are the threads metal so there's less chance of snapping that thing off? That would be the only thing I'm worried about.

very impressive work. Looks like high quality materials and well put together. I'm curious what the total cost will be with shaft, arm cuff and counter balance weight. Looking forward to trying one out.

Azmodeus -- not metal; the threads are made of a high-strength, engineering-grade plastic called Delrin, made by DuPont (as are the rest of my plastic components).

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-...articles/acetal-copolymer-vs-homopolymer.html

I expect no breakage -- or at least, MINIMAL chance of that...

screwynewy -- THANKS for the kind words! I will send you a PM, with my email address, so that you can email me, if you don't mind. I have a very detailed letter typed up with all the different configurations, options, accessories, etc. -- and associated pricing. I must let you know though, that all of the Herke cuffs may already be accounted for; I've been in contact with Jeff to let him know, and thus to see if he is interested in making additional production runs...

Anyway, a PM is on the way...thanks for your interest!

Steve

That delrin is what skateboarders use for downhill slide plates. They will wear from that but probably never wear out with this.

That delrin is what skateboarders use for downhill slide plates. They will wear from that but probably never wear out with this.

Briman, yep. I think you are right. It's good stuff, but at the same time, it is sandable/soft enough to work. It's strange...VERY rigid, high strength, but can be "sanded..." Seems like it would be a good material for that purpose...

Steve

POM is like that same thing like abs plastic.

Yep -- POM, ABS, Delrin...all similar types of engineering-grade plastics. It's really interesting, when you look into the industrial uses of Delrin, for example. It's strong enough to replace things like gears, etc. -- things that used to be exclusively made of steel, can now be made of some of these high-end plastics, achieving similar durability and wear results...

Steve

Steve, I really like your products here. After some hard use last fall, I did start to get some movement in the shaft parts of my 800. Not terrible, but annoying. I also feel the nose weight with the stock coil. Your customizable counterweight, mounted on the CF shaft, look like a high quality, practical solution, for those that would benefit from it.
I tried a makeshift counterweight object stuck on the back end of my Nox shaft, and could feel where it would make the stock coil swing action much easier. The small coil is so light, it doesn't need it, but could still benefit from a lighter counterbalance.
I switch coils fairly often. "Quick and easy" coil changes are my goal. A quicker and easier counterweight change-out system would also be desired. Just dreaming in writing here. Maybe a quick cam or something to release/clamp the counterweight device, instead of "many-turn" threads? Might even be stronger than threaded. Quick-lock cap too, so I can super-easy change weights, and/or pull out my USB power bank and cable I had tucked inside. :yes: Maybe just the quick-lock cap, but keep the threaded mount. I'd probably leave it on all the time, but change weights on the fly.

Love your work. Giving thought to upgrading.

Foragist --

THANKS for your kind words! I appreciate your thoughts, and your interest!

It sounds like you are noticing a bit of "play," in your stock Minelab shaft. Like many, you state that it's nothing "awful," but noticeable. I have begun to experience just a bit of this same thing, in my stock Minelab shaft, over time. This -- the "shaft instabillity" issues -- was a huge reason for, and the primary focus of, my shaft design -- to ELIMINATE that "play" that some users experience with the EQX stock shaft, by producing a very solid/stable/stiff-feeling carbon-fiber shaft (that is also very strong, light-weight, and provides that aesthetically "high-end" sort of look/appeal).

It also sounds like, based on your comments about your attempt at counter-weighting your machine, that what you are trying to achieve is not "PERECT" balance, but instead something that would just "take away" some of the nose-heaviness. As you noted, the small coil feels very "light" to nearly everyone, and thus no "counter-balancing" seems necessary; but, with the larger coils, the nose-heaviness starts to become a bit of an issue for some. For you, and those who have expressed similar sentiments, roughly 12 oz. of counterweight (in a tube less than 4" long) would be perfect. That's roughly the amount (give or take an ounce or two, depending upon how long you extend your lower shaft, etc.) that it takes to make the "big coil" (the 15x12) feel just like swinging the very light, very manageable 6" coil.

Finally, you talk about other methods for attachment of the counterweight, and possibly the cap, as well. You mention a very good idea, with some type of a "quick-release" connector. I thought about some similar options, as well. The issue, though, is of course keeping the cost low enough. It's like I always say to my wife, when she asks "if I can do" various projects/upgrades to our home. My answer is always the same, "yes, I CAN do it; you CAN do almost anything!" The barrier, though, is always the same -- the COST! LOL!

What it boils down to, in terms of shaft design, is there is always the dilemma of "do I use an appropriate 'off the shelf'" solution, in my designs, or "do I design a custom piece/fitting/whatever." And IF I design a custom piece, the BEST/EASIEST solution in most cases -- i.e. injection-molding -- is ruled out from the get-go, as the initial cost to produce the molds themselves is prohibitive, for a small operation. Injection-molding is for production of many THOUSANDS of pieces, not hundreds. So, computerized CNC machining of each individual piece is the semi-affordable, next-best option, and is one that I utilize often. HOWEVER -- the limitation there is that only some designs can be machined. For instance, it's "do-able" to machine a threaded fitting from a block of Delrin; it is NOT "do-able," though, to produce a complex, multi-part piece such as a clamping cam lock, via CNC machining.

SO, my long-winded point is, there ARE better, more elegant, and more efficient ways to accomplish the attachment of those counterweight tubes to the shaft, and you mentioned one. So far, though, the threaded fitting is the best option I have come up with, GIVEN the limitation that I need to keep things as affordable as possible...

THANK YOU, again, for your interest. I apologize that the threads on both the connector, and the end cap, are a bit more "tedious" than what one might hope. I do hope, though, that I have the opportunity to build you a shaft system for your Equinox, in the future.

THANKS!

Steve

OK, I get that. It didn't surprise me that you already considered this...and more.
Next question; tube ID: I have a few exercise weight band inserts for weight. They range from a little over 13 oz. to about 15.5 oz. I can always repackage the shot in them for a more custom weight/fit. When I am ready to make an order, I would ideally like a counterweight tube that would hold my USB power bank, charging cable, and/or one of my weight tubes. I'm thinking a little over 6". (I have to find my power bank first) It would help me to know the inside diameter of your CW tubing. Outer diameter too, please.
You should've seen the candlestick holder counterbalance I used for my living room sweep balance testing. :laughing: Not practical, but it gave me the feel for it, and I could really feel an improvement in balance!
These are the weights I have, that should work well in one of your tubes:

Attachments

• DSCN9354.jpg
    DSCN9354.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
So, computerized CNC machining of each individual piece is the semi-affordable, next-best option, and is one that I utilize often. HOWEVER -- the limitation there is that only some designs can be machined. For instance, it's "do-able" to machine a threaded fitting from a block of Delrin; it is NOT "do-able," though, to produce a complex, multi-part piece such as a clamping cam lock, via CNC machining.

SO, my long-winded point is, there ARE better, more elegant, and more efficient ways to accomplish the attachment of those counterweight tubes to the shaft, and you mentioned one. So far, though, the threaded fitting is the best option I have come up with, GIVEN the limitation that I need to keep things as affordable as possible...
Steve

Perhaps a 1/4 turn locking design could be machined as easily/cheaply as threads? No explanation needed; just tossing it at ya, with no machining experience here.

Foragist --

Your candlestick holder -- NICE! LOL!

I can do a tube for you up to about 6 1/2" long, so that part should work; if the shot in those weights you have is small, like #6 or #7 1/2 bird shot, then it will only take about 3" of that 6" tube to achieve 13 oz. or so (if you repackaged it). Meanwhile, one of those weight bags you have may fit, even without repackaging. Certainly, though, it would fit easily, if you took the weight out of one (assuming the pellets are small), and repackaged it into one of the zip lock bags I'd provide, that are the same diameter of the inside of the counterweight tube...

The inside of the tube is 33mm in diameter (just over 1 1/4"). The outside diameter is 35mm. Not sure if you can fit everything in there that you want, but you might...

Interesting, on the "1/4 turn" idea. I'll check in with the supplier I work with who does my machining, to see if such an option is possible...

Thanks!

Steve

Skippy,

Not sure exactly what you are asking...are you asking about the shaft itself -- i.e., how much less does it weigh than the stock shaft?

My shaft will weigh about 2.75 pounds with the stock 11" coil, whereas the stock shaft with 11" coil weighs roughly 3 pounds.

If that's not what you were asking, please let me know and I'll try to provide you with the information you are looking for.

By the way -- I plan to make this announcement soon, but...

The first of the shafts have begun shipping to the folks at the top of the wait list, and I'm gradually working through the list. After several days, I am just about "caught up" enough to begin opening up sales to anyone interested. I'll post a "for sale" ad soon, but for anyone who is interested at this point, feel free to contact me!

Thanks,

Steve

Back
Top Bottom