Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Colonial Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Old 11-15-2017, 12:19 AM
Supporter

Default Wheats, silvers, ring, and OH WOW! #1 Bucketlister

Got a chance to detect about 3 hrs today. No more clad buffets around this town(I cleaned 'em up), so decided to hunt "old" stuff. My choice was the empty school field where I found my only buffalo nickel this summer. Didn't take long to dig a penny, a dime, then another dime that read "penny/dime", then "quarter" on the Whites Eagle Spectrum. I know that just tells me it's not a penny. It was a Mercury dime! Nice! Back to work, I found more modern pennies & dimes, and a few wheat pennies, two nickels, and UH-OH, another penny/dime that sometimes reads quarter. Yep. Another Merc! Back to work...wheats, small change, and one penny/dime signal turned out to be a nice little Sterling band ring. ANybody know the trademark? Anyway, shortly after the ring, a guy walks out to chat me up; see what I'm finding, etc. He seemed impressed the machine would call out the type of coin, so I told him about a few days ago, it was reading a signal as "dollar", and I didn't believe it, because I have always wanted to find a silver dollar, but I said to my self "maybe it's my lucky day" That signal turned out to be 4 clad quarters, so, one dollar! We laughed at that, and went on our ways. Not three minutes later, I get a solid "dollar" signal. Pinpointed clearly at 5 inches. My carrot pinpointer went wild in the bottom of the hole, so I reached down, brushed some mud aside, and found myself staring at the biggest slab o' silver I ever saw in the dirt. Oh, so pretty! I gently lifted it out to admire in all her glory. My boyhood dream has been fulfilled. An actual silver dollar. Not a clad Ike, but a 1923 S Peace Dollar. After I snapped out of it, treasure in pocket, I went on to find a '64 Rosie, and a little more clad.
Silvers 13, 14, BIG 15, and 16 today. Plus another ring. Ground will freeze soon. This day will have to carry me for a while.
Attached Images

Last edited by Foragist; 11-15-2017 at 07:46 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:37 AM

Absolutely awesome hunt, story, and finds. Man that is a little jelly worthy. (Jealous) never had a wish list of finds but I think that one just started my list.

9/14/17 start. BH Challenger, GP pin pointer, Lesche Sampson T handle, Leche style digger, and newly discovered flat tip screw driver, oldest 1942 Mercury dime, (1)1951 Wheatey, 1924 Wheatey but I ain't taking my winged Liberty off here yet Clad $78.87

Old 11-15-2017, 01:01 AM
Elite Member

That is a SHOCKER! Thatís what itís all about,the hunt. And when itís done,do it some more. Thatíll make the winter a little longer,waiting to go see if any more great finds are out there!
Fantastic looking Peace dollar Foragist! You should be damn proud of that one.
Hibernate well!

Old 11-15-2017, 01:45 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by DiggerMD View post
Absolutely awesome hunt, story, and finds. Man that is a little jelly worthy. (Jealous) never had a wish list of finds but I think that one just started my list.
Thanks man! I don't really have a wish list either. I have just always envisioned that a silver dollar is "the" prize to find with a detector. I got that from my dad and his buddies, when I was a small boy, talking about all the silver dollars found in the 70s. My dad had an old Whites Coinmaster(I think) that he picked up cheap in the late 70s. He never used it much, but I did...until it suffered a winter with leaky batteries. I built a cheapie detector for my HS electronics class project, but it promptly fell apart, with about 12 cents in finds under its belt. Wasn't 'til the late 90s I got the Eagle Spectrum. Been hunting for my silver dollar ever since.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:46 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by IDXMonster View post
That is a SHOCKER! Thatís what itís all about,the hunt. And when itís done,do it some more. Thatíll make the winter a little longer,waiting to go see if any more great finds are out there!
Fantastic looking Peace dollar Foragist! You should be damn proud of that one.
Hibernate well!
Shocker is right, and proud I am! Thank you Mr. Monster.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:49 AM
Elite Member

Awesome hunt!!

Huge congrats, and welcome to the club!!

<į)))>{

Old 11-15-2017, 01:53 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Ice Scratcher View post
Awesome hunt!!

Huge congrats, and welcome to the club!!

<į)))>{
Thank you Mr. Scratcher. There's a club for that?

Old 11-15-2017, 01:58 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Foragist View post
Thank you Mr. Scratcher. There's a club for that?
Yes Sir!

http://metaldetectingforum.com/group.php?groupid=229

Mine was a Peace dollar too...

<į)))>{

Old 11-15-2017, 03:07 AM
Elite Member

Great write up and nice finds! Congrats on the silver dollar!

Detectors: CTX 3030, X-Terra70, Pro-Find 25
Oldest Coin: 1877 English Penny
2017 totals: $1203.06AUD (443x$2, 204x$1, 60x50c, 180x20c, 263x10c, 354x5c, 87x2c, 132x1c) and 56 foreign, collectable or older Australian/English (pre-decimal) coins.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:14 AM
Supporter

BBBBBBilbo Baggins! Bartholomew Cubbins! What a Hunt and finds! Congratulations on a day that will live forever in your Dirt Career!

You will find that Nov/Dec in Wisconsin will hold some of the best hunting days you will ever have....then again in the early Spring of course...

Way to really knock it down there Foragist!

Thinking though, after a day like that,...You should probably sell your gear and just quit the Sport Now!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Last edited by Mud-puppy; 11-15-2017 at 02:01 PM.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:06 AM
Elite Member

Congrats on a killer hunt !

Old 11-15-2017, 08:42 AM
Elite Member

Excellent hunt! Congrats!

☆2-Shield~15-V's~18-Buff☆

Old 11-15-2017, 10:09 AM

That is definitely one to be proud of congratulations!!!

Ace 400 Aug 2016 - to Date Oldest coin 1797 Cartwheel Penny/ Walker (1) Merc (5) Rosie (8) Wash (3) IHP (5) War Nickel (1) Buff (1) Gold ring (1)Gold Necklace(1) Silver rings(8) Silver Necklace(1) Clad($60.92) PULL TABS 5Million

Old 11-15-2017, 10:16 AM
Elite Member

That's just an out of this world fantastic hunt! That piece dollar is on my bucket list for sure. Big Super Congrats!

beephead

Old 11-15-2017, 01:45 PM
Elite Member

Damn!!! What a great bunch of finds. Good for you

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2w8S10_T9Ep5TbCeQqR1GQ

Old 11-15-2017, 03:27 PM
Elite Member

Thumbs up

I would love to find a dollar coin!Big congratulations!! I have one of those but inherited it.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:16 PM
Supporter

Thank you all! ...and no, I'm not going to just quit the sport now. I have also had a lifelong dream of finding a mason jar full of old coins, but Rattlehead got to it before I did! Perhaps there's another jar out there...anyway, it's about the hunt, and knowing that you just never know what you'll find. Some days, the relics are awesome, sometimes the clad pays you well, sometimes you get what you likely expect, and sometimes....SURPRISE!
Many thanks to all you who have encouraged and inspired me in the last few months, since I joined.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:19 PM
Elite Member

Congrats on the sterling, Rosie, pair of Mercs and especially that very big silver...outstanding hunt!

2017 totals...silvers-149/oldest-1780 1 Reale,1800 Half Reale/.925-30/14K-2/18K-1/coppers&LC's-8/oldest-1721 KG I Farthing,1721 French Colonies Sou...Minelab FBS and BBS detectors/GG & D/C headphones/Garrett Propointers...today's album- AC/DC -Can I Sit On Your Face Girl- (Concert Bootleg) (1977)

Old 11-15-2017, 07:50 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Captain Silver View post
Congrats on the sterling, Rosie, pair of Mercs and especially that very big silver...outstanding hunt!
Thanks Captain! You are high on the inspiration list, you know.
I did some research, and found the ring's trademark to be by Vargas.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:19 PM
Super Motivator

Congrats and welcome to the Silver Dollar Club.