2 more V nickels, a buff, and some local history

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
The snow has finally melted here after back to back snowfalls, so Ive been able to get out over the last 3 days. In between the snow falls, I was able to get a quick hunt at a demo site, and found this old plate which I believe is copper:

IMG_1038.jpg

This demo site is pretty close to where the first cabin was erected here along with a post office and some out buildings. Before they got into the auto industry, the Studebaker Bros. had been manufacturing wagons and carriages since the 1850s.

http://www.germanheritage.com/biographies/mtoz/studebaker.html

I sent the picture to a wagon restoration business in SD, and they confirmed that it was a plate from a wagon, but couldnt pin a date on it. Nice to find some more WY history!

I was also able to get over to the park after finding the plate, and dug a 1903 V nickel about 7-9" down. That was a week and a half ago.

IMG_1050.jpg

Last Friday, a bunch of us got together and hunted another park in town. I didnt find any oldies, but the clad count was nice. Yesterday I did a solo trip to what I will now call "V nickel park" and found a 1927D buff, and some nice clad. Today I returned and found a 1902 V nickel, 1927 & 1937 wheats, the earring (no marks), and more clad. That is the 5th V nickel that I have found here so far!

Thanks for looking, and HH!

Some pretty nice hunting Tommy. Congrats on the "V's", the Buffalo and all the rest. Neat to see the old Studebaker Wagon Tag, some neat history. Trapper

That'll look good in a shadowbox display. Good conversation starter.

Nice finds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you

Some pretty nice hunting Tommy. Congrats on the "V's", the Buffalo and all the rest. Neat to see the old Studebaker Wagon Tag, some neat history. Trapper

Thank you, Trapper

Dang !! Nice Job
Hasn't it frozen up down there yet??

Thanks, Brian. Got a lot of snow, but it melted off. More snow on Wed

That'll look good in a shadowbox display. Good conversation starter.

Thanks, Tom. I need to clean it up better. When I took that pic, I had to angle the plate to get better detail in the light.

Nice coins and plate, Tommy! :hi5:

Thank you

Congrats on the old nickels Tom, nice save on the Id plate, pretty cool. HH Mark

Thank you Mark. I went back to the place that I found the plate today, and found an old lock. Ill post pics tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom