Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > War Relic Hunting

Old 02-06-2019, 01:24 PM
Chatroom Jester

Default UPDATE 2: Wow! Awesome Find / Help ID Please

I was going to put these in the "eye popping" section but wasn't sure these would be so eye popping to others here or if they have any collector value at all. But they are amazing to me just in historical value. I'm not positive but I'm assuming these are bridle rosettes correct? They are also about 3/4ozt each in solid silver. A friend and I were searching an old house spot very deep in the woods that I found on an old plat. I'm not a huge war buff so I was hoping some of you that frequent the war relics sections could help me figure out some of this info on here. Don't laugh, but I dug the dated 1918 side first and thought it read Chateu Cherry 1918 so I was telling my buddy Lee wow, this Chateu Cherry must have been some famous race horse to have solid silver rosettes! 20 mins later and over 100ft away I got a similar super high 33 on the Nox and woah, out popped another one. The second one clued me into this was not a race horse... The inscription on this one is what I could use some help with. From what I can gather it says this guy "Roy Modglin" was C/O (commanding officer?) of Sig. C, which im not sure what that means. Co. "L1" 52nd Tel. Bn. I'm not sure what Tel. means but I think the Bn would be batallion. So when we got back to the truck and cleaned the dirt off I noticed the first one said "Chateu Thierry", not Cherry. A quick Google search and I was like, holy cow! Turns out Chateu Thierry was some well known battle fought in France during WW1 and this guy was apparently there. If any war buffs here can fill in any info on what Sig. C or Tel. means I'd appreciate it and I'm also curious if these would be valuable to war collectors.

UPDATE!: These things give up more secrets
My father came by today and was fascinated with these. He musta looked at them for an hour. I noticed the other day on the back there are tiny little lines going all the way around and assumed it was impressions from whatever these were squeezed into. But my father said no, I bet anything these are smashed reticles that go around a silver dollar. Then it dawned on me he could be right, guys did do things like that during war time with silver coins. But I said yeah you may be correct but no way to ever tell really. 10 minutes later we were still examining them when we noticed most edges of the rosettes or whatever these may be are hammered thin but there's one edge that was left thick and there's lettering on it! I can distinctly make out an L and an A I'm pretty sure. Possibly the word "DOLLAR". Crazy thing is I'm pretty sure they stopped using lettered edges on silver dollars back in the 1830's right? Weighs in just a few grams light of what a silver dollar is which may be expected if he carved on it. Pretty crazy. I'm sure I'll never know what the silver dollars were but it just added more cool factor they these were beaten from old coins. Attaching some new photos of the lettering.

UPDATE 2:
Had custom mats cut for them along with Roy's pictures. The wife and I assembled it ourselves since she had the idea to put risers inbetween the mats and make it look more dimensional. Came out even better than I had hoped. New pics added below of the final result. Couldn't hardly get a very good photo with all the reflection going on with the glass, it looks better in person.
Attached Images

_________________———————
————————————_____ Custom Coin Rings Made To Order _____————————————

Last edited by Azmodeus; 02-20-2019 at 05:59 PM.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:32 PM
Supporter

Nice finds, Congratulations.

2019 TOTALS 11 SILVERS 19 IHP, 33 WHEATS, 2 V, 2 RINGS
CTX 3030, XP DEUS, AT Propointer

Old 02-06-2019, 02:05 PM
Elite Member

WOW very cool finds buddy.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:29 PM
Elite Member

Wow amazing finds! Really like the old Canadian silver too, congrats!

☆Oldest Coin FTY:1723 Woods Hibernia☆

Old 02-06-2019, 02:34 PM
Elite Member

Cellar is right .. those really are AMAZING finds and anyone of us would be ecstatic to find One of those !!

huge congrats to you AZ !!

2018 Totals Gold (7), Silver Coins (17) Wheats (39) Rings (38)
2019 Totals Gold (1), Silver Coins (11) Wheats (54) Rings (13) Oldest Coin 1893 IHP

Old 02-06-2019, 03:20 PM
Elite Member

Awesome finds, those gotta be valuable to someone!!

Old 02-06-2019, 04:09 PM

Found a Roy Modglin born in Illinois in 1893, looks like there may be a WW1 registration card linked to his name too! These are awesome!! Great find!

Old 02-06-2019, 05:20 PM
Chatroom Jester

Originally Posted by CELLARMAN 74 View post
Found a Roy Modglin born in Illinois in 1893, looks like there may be a WW1 registration card linked to his name too! These are awesome!! Great find!
Yep, that's probably it. Did you have a link to the registration card or is it on Ancestry and locked? I've been trying to do some Googling for hours and found some info on him but most of it is all on Ancestry and not viewable without paying for a monthly subscription. It looks like there was a few Roy Modglins around Illinois, the one we're looking for is from Pope County, IL but he may have moved a few hours north to mid-Illinois later in life. I did manage to find a pic of him in France during that battle though which makes it even more awesome! Just hope someone comes along that can tell me what the Sig. C and Tel stands for on the rosettes.
Attached Images

_________________———————

Old 02-06-2019, 06:37 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Azmodeus View post
Yep, that's probably it. Did you have a link to the registration card or is it on Ancestry and locked? I've been trying to do some Googling for hours and found some info on him but most of it is all on Ancestry and not viewable without paying for a monthly subscription. It looks like there was a few Roy Modglins around Illinois, the one we're looking for is from Pope County, IL but he may have moved a few hours north to mid-Illinois later in life. I did manage to find a pic of him in France during that battle though which makes it even more awesome! Just hope someone comes along that can tell me what the Sig. C and Tel stands for on the rosettes.
Very cool find. Try https://www.familysearch.org it's free and has a lot of the same info ancestry charges you for.

I'd put money on Sig C meaning Signal Corps

Past Detectors: Vaquero/AT Pro/AT Gold/Quattro/F70/X-Terra 30/Delta 4000/Freedom 3 CDC/T2 LTD2/1265-X/1225-X/1212-X/1210-X/Amphibian/Gold Bug/MX Sport/Makro Racer/F75 LTD2

Old 02-06-2019, 07:33 PM
Chatroom Jester

Originally Posted by Dsm_mechva View post
Very cool find. Try https://www.familysearch.org it's free and has a lot of the same info ancestry charges you for.

I'd put money on Sig C meaning Signal Corps
Yessir, you nailed it! Just found this clipping with the other image I found earlier attached. Corporal Roy Modglin, Signal Corps. And I believe the rest is Company L1. 52nd Telegraph Battalion

Although I'm not sure why it lists 220 Branch Ave in Red Bank instead of Illinois, maybe he deployed from there or stayed there for a bit.

So freaking awesome! Now I just wonder if he did something special to have solid silver rosettes on his horse or what. Assuming they are rosettes. I don't see what else they'd be.
Attached Images

_________________———————

Old 02-06-2019, 07:39 PM

Great find, and great detective work!

Old 02-06-2019, 07:47 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Azmodeus View post
Yessir, you nailed it! Just found this clipping with the other image I found earlier attached. Corporal Roy Modglin, Signal Corps. And I believe the rest is Company L1. 52nd Telegraph Battalion

Although I'm not sure why it lists 220 Branch Ave in Red Bank instead of Illinois, maybe he deployed from there or stayed there for a bit.

So freaking awesome! Now I just wonder if he did something special to have solid silver rosettes on his horse or what. Assuming they are rosettes. I don't see what else they'd be.
Census records for Roy L Modglin may tell you why Red Bank or have a connection on https://www.familysearch.org/

Past Detectors: Vaquero/AT Pro/AT Gold/Quattro/F70/X-Terra 30/Delta 4000/Freedom 3 CDC/T2 LTD2/1265-X/1225-X/1212-X/1210-X/Amphibian/Gold Bug/MX Sport/Makro Racer/F75 LTD2

Old 02-06-2019, 08:30 PM
Supporter

Awesome find! Congrats!! It's not Chateau Cherry It's Chateau Thierry I could be off but I think it's pronounced ( tea ah ree ) It's in France. Again Big Congrats!! ......Ooops I just re read op and you already knew that. A while back I read something about American soldiers being gassed at Chateau Thierry, pretty amazing find!

Old 02-06-2019, 09:20 PM
Elite Member

The Battle of Chβteau-Thierry was fought on July 18, 1918

A.E.F. American Expeditionary Forces

Old 02-07-2019, 09:31 AM
Elite Member

Great finds and thread digging out the history.

Yea, guessing horse rosettes and amazing they are silver.
Can you post picture of their other side?

Old 02-07-2019, 09:35 AM
Supporter

What an amazing find there Azmo! I'm just following along as this ID effort unravels...Sheesh!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:14 AM
Elite Member

Great diggs. Nice history lesson as well

Old 02-07-2019, 07:10 PM
Elite Member

Wow! Very Nice!! 😎

~FISHER~MINELAB~
*Sunray Ears~Garrett Point~Yo-Hoe Trowel*

Old 02-07-2019, 07:12 PM
Elite Member

One of the coolest finds I've seen posted. Awesome.

IH: 4, Buffalo/V/Shield: 1, Gold: 1!

Old 02-08-2019, 09:26 PM
Elite Member

that is simply amazing great job finding info on the guy now you have a face to the name congrats bro

best finds to date - 1821 capped bust dime ,1853 seated quarter, (2) 1891 seated dimes, 1874 seated dime, 1887 seated dime love token , 1777 half reale ,1805 drapped bust largie, 1914 barber half dollar,1812 classic head largie, 1864 2 cent piece,(1909 barber half dollar with a 1934 walker half dollar in the same hole together)1952 ben franklin half dollar