Good Beginner Detector?

MattMoore2012

Just wondering, what would be a good MD for a beginner (Like myself) I have absolutely NO experience whatsoever, and am on kind of a 200 or less budget. Any suggestions? :?:

I like the F2 as well, pleasant tones, easy to learn and its not bright yellow. The F2 with the 2 coil package is $215 @ kellyco. Many people on here like the Garrett ace250 it costs about the same, both are good units.

Hmm, thanks guys! I believe that I'm gonna go with the Fisher F2. Actually, I'm positive that I'm gonna go with it. It seems like the easiest to operate, and with good beginner features. And again, Thanks for the responses!:D

We went with the F2 and really have fun with it. Great for us beginners and I see many experienced MDers use it, too. Hope to be hearing about your hunting adventures soon!

When I started, I wasn't sure that all the videos of finding silver and gold would actually happen, and i didn't want to buy a detector only to find out that it wasn't for me 2 weeks later like most people do in this hobby. It takes patience and dedication to learn the machine and start to find the good stuff. Not sure how convinced you are that this hobby is for you, but if your not sure, go cheap. you can always upgrade later. My first detector was a bounty hunter tracker 4 that I paid $60 for, and I wouldn't have done it any differently. It forced me to listen to the tones and learn the language. I dug so much stuff with that machine and the good stuff did come.

The F2 is an excellent choice and much better than my first. I hope you have great success with whatever machine you choose.

Ace 250

Wow, the Fisher fans have spoken!
I would recommend the 250 which you can get a nice used one for about $150, or new for $225
I used mine for two years and it is a great beginner machine because you can turn off pulltabs.
If you go with something for only $50- $60 I don't think you will have too much fun.

Hmm, thanks guys! I believe that I'm gonna go with the Fisher F2. Actually, I'm positive that I'm gonna go with it. It seems like the easiest to operate, and with good beginner features. And again, Thanks for the responses!:D

Call the sponsors in the changing box up on top of the page.
Most of them will match and beat anything you see on E-Bay or anywhere else for a forum member.
Don't E-Mail, call them for the best price.

Just a thought from my own experiences. You may be better off just getting the detector without the freebies. I bought a package deal though Kellyco. It came with a plastic trowel which broke on the second day of MDing-replaced it with a nice Fiskers trowel for $10. It came with a lightweight pair of headphones which are OK. But you can use pretty much any headphones you may already have at home although you may need to purchase an adapter. My daughter even used her earbuds once I think. The package came with a finds/trash apron which is now coming apart at the seams but still works. I am VERY glad that I got a pinpointer with it but you could purchase one seperately. In short, some items in a package deal may not be the best and you end up replacing them anyway. So compare package deals (where you may get things you don't need or have to replce) with buying things seperately.

Research the Tesoro Compadre. Its one of the best for beginners or anyone. You can get a new for $160 and comes with lifetime warranty! I love mine!

Most of them will match and beat anything you see on E-Bay or anywhere else for a forum member.
I called them, and the lady said to E-Mail, not call. So I E-Mailed. Maybe I can get a good deal.

Ive been looking around inside my old Fisher VLF 552-D and discovered a little green wire that's not connected to anything. Anyone have the schematic on one?

Great advice! Do yourself a favor and don't get the cheap worthless free ebay accessories. Get some good diggers and headphones with it. Ever tried to dig a hole in hard packed ground with plastic?

Fell free to give me a call. I can get you set up with the good stuff that will last a long time!

Back
Top Bottom