- My first hunt with the Vanquish 540 -

mpmccann

Hello All,

Okay just got the Vanquish 540 as an early Christmas gift. I’ve been using my White’s Eagle Spectrum for 20 years now and wanted something new to learn. I hunted today in my own back yard. One, because I consider it hunted out and two, I just wanted to see if I’ve been missing deeper targets. Well, the verdict is yes. I managed to pull a copper Lincoln penny and a clad dime both around 8 to 10 inches. But the kicker is I also dug 11 old musket balls today all around 10 to 12 inches down. Now, I have pulled musket balls from my back yard before “3 to be exact” with the Spectrum at about 5 to 6”. So, my conclusion is I have been missing targets after 5 to 6 inches with my old Spectrum unit. I also learned that I need to invest in a small shovel, just a digging tool won’t cut it with these 540 machines. This thing hits deep.

-Matt

Attachments

• First hunt Vanquish 540 - Copy.jpg
    First hunt Vanquish 540 - Copy.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
What is the history of your house area, that you can get pistol balls in your own back yard ?

That's some pretty deep finds especially for clad. I may have to check into a vanquish 540. I've always been a Whites fan myself but you know what happened there.[emoji25]

Congrats with your success with your machine.

Don

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

What is the history of your house area, that you can get pistol balls in your own back yard ?

I do know the property of the original County Seat for Denton County TX was maybe a mile as the crow flies from my neighborhood. This would have served as the official place of business until a proper Courthouse and square was built in Denton in 1896.

Here are the original 3 mini balls I found with my Spectrum a few years ago. That makes 14 rounds total. I usually find them in clusters of 3-5 almost as if people were shooting at each other. ??? :gunbandanna:

-Matt

Attachments

• 20180410_3 mini balls 2.jpg
    20180410_3 mini balls 2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 172
I also bought the Vanquish 540 about six weeks ago. Yes, I am impressed with it. In the spring I'll re-hunt areas I've hit hard in the past.It does hit deeper than my Ace 400.

What mode did you run your V540 in when you found the musket balls? I run mine in coin mode, mostly, dug close to 100 coins this summer at the local park, all modern. Thanks.

What mode did you run your V540 in when you found the musket balls? I run mine in coin mode, mostly, dug close to 100 coins this summer at the local park, all modern. Thanks.

I was just running it in "Coin Mode" with iron bias on high, because I am trying to learn to machine.

Back
Top Bottom