ace250 high level hits

bullofspadez

OK still kinda working my backyard(lots of trash) but i have come to the conclusion that anywhere i will go will have trash so i should learn what it acts like as well. Its a very sensitive machine and i was using 4 bars sens and in coin mode. got a hit at 6 inches bouncing between dime and penny so i figured i would dig it. came up with a 1/4 to 1/2 inch piece of tin or alu but it was right at 6 inches. but even digging the trash is helping with my pinpointing.

but my problem is i was getting hits in the 50 to 1 dollar range over one area. also at 6-8 inch deep. i dug it just to see and hit something big so the coin theory was out..and being a newer home i figured a pipe or something. but i did learn that it must be big if i have my sens at 4 bars and its giving me 8 deep readings. correct me if i am wrong to assume that; so i don't home school myself the wrong lessons.

can someone explain to me what might be making it into the silver range for a large hit like that. my only thought was that it might be underground wires or something interfering with the machine.

still haven't made it to any tot lots but getting dang good at finding bottle caps :roll:

thanks and you folks are great. i am addicted to checking this forum twice a day at least :grin:

I would say you are suffering from what all of us have suffered. The dreaded buried aluminum pop can. When they are buried on their side, you can kinda tell the size of the target when in the pinpoint mode. But if they are buried on end, well, now your gonna get a solid 50 cent to a dollar hit almost every time. At least that is what happens to me anyway. I still dig those signals. Who knows, one of these days it will turn out to be a Morgan. :wow:

I have started "notching out" the dollar response on my 250. It has made my hunts much more quiet!!!

paluch545 said:
I have started "notching out" the dollar response on my 250. It has made my hunts much more quiet!!!
I second that! I had the same thing happen - dollar hits and ug, and dug, and dug some more. Nada every time. Now if I'm hunting an old spot (of how I wish) I will 'un-notch" it, just in case.

Here's a trick with the ACE that some might not use:
DO NOT notch out the dollar range to avoid can-slaw where the ACE's chip thinks it's a coin. Instead, slowly raise the coil as you sweep, and slow your sweep speed WAY down. Also, run sens at max. If it's TRULY a coin-sized object, and at 6" or more deep, the ACE will lose track of it QUICKLY as the coil is raised even a few inches. If it's slaw, it'll continue to ping even up to 3-4" of coil lift.
I would be too afriad of missing that ONE true dollar coin if I were to notch that segment out, even in very trashy areas.

Back
Top Bottom