turning up the volume

corij

iv noticed when im detecting [headphones] that after a while i have to keep turning up the volume . its as if my ears are getting dulled by the sharp tones . on each succesive hunt it seems worse. anybody else notice this?
my hearing in the normal day to day life remains the same

which detector are you using? i'm wondering also if it might be your batteries getting weaker as your detecting day progresses and you're compensating by cranking it up?

I don't have the same problem, but I use the stock ATGold headphones with the dual volume knobs. Occasionally I have to adjust one side or the other to balance them out, then I'll bump one side or the other again and have to rebalance all over again :laughing:

Do you run your machine wide open where you hear everything? That may be an issue with constant tones in your headphones. I find if I don't disc at least some iron that by the end of my hunt my ears feel like I just left a concert.

It's a natural thing that happens to the inside of our hearing Corij .... When we wear headphones at too high a volume/pitch our hearing hairs get thrown around and damaged both short-term and long-term.

Try starting your next hunt at much lower volumes (so your hearing has not had an initial bombardment) and you'll find that after half an hour the lower volume is very easy to pick up and detect with, and as the hearing hairs aren't affected at all, you won't have any problems later in the day or future hearing impairment.
Once your'e used to detecting at low volume it's much more enjoyable to hunt short and extended hours. You won't miss anything and you'll find a whole new world of comfortable sound to ride with.

http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/virtualexhibit/2howdowehear.html

im using a Cscope cs990 , its got a very high pitched tone compared to a Garrett 150, bell mid tone, that i had previous. in fact my kids laugh if they hear it as they say it sounds like a wild animal in pain .

i had no problem with the Ace sounds , however i sold it and the c scope really works great but either its my ears messing up OR the detector volume is slowly getting lower as the hunt progresses. i even wondered if the headphones might be the problem,if after a couple of hours of buzzin high pitch tone they give up the ghost,thats a guess

iv tried new batteries, no difference

Do you run your machine wide open where you hear everything? That may be an issue with constant tones in your headphones. I find if I don't disc at least some iron that by the end of my hunt my ears feel like I just left a concert.

i havnt got it set wide open .

hard to explain but on this Cscope when it detects something it puts out a real high pitched noise, a piercing cry. i havnt been out detecting for over a week now and i can still hear the noise in my ears , its that distinctive

Yeah it's a high pitch,,, around 700Hz and higher. Awful isn't it....

You'd have to start hunting with low volume for sure, and stay there! That version of a high pitch squeal will damage your hearing at high volume with phone's on,,,,. It's a wonder you haven't suffered migraines or tinitis...

Time for a change of sound for you Corij.....

I have an ATPRO and do the EXACT same thing. I noticed this happens when my batteries are low. I was just talking to my hunting buddy I'd the batteries affected the volume for the headphones. Once I put new batteries in I had my answer.

This Corij talk sounds crazy though. Maybe I should bop back and forth between head phones? ??

im so glad i posted this thread, the replies have made it so obvious what iv been doing wrong . Argyle you are a life saver -u mentioned tinitus, iv definitely got it since using this machine! luckily iv only used it 3 times ,so hopefully itll go very soon/

i will definitely only be using the machine at a low volume from now on .

It's a natural thing that happens to the inside of our hearing Corij .... When we wear headphones at too high a volume/pitch our hearing hairs get thrown around and damaged both short-term and long-term.

Try starting your next hunt at much lower volumes (so your hearing has not had an initial bombardment) and you'll find that after half an hour the lower volume is very easy to pick up and detect with, and as the hearing hairs aren't affected at all, you won't have any problems later in the day or future hearing impairment.
Once your'e used to detecting at low volume it's much more enjoyable to hunt short and extended hours. You won't miss anything and you'll find a whole new world of comfortable sound to ride with.

http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/virtualexhibit/2howdowehear.html

Yes.. It is about the same as when your favorite song comes on the radio. You turn the volume up & start enjoying it. Then after a bit you turn it up more,,,,,,,,,,,, then more.

I found that I am turning the volume up but im getting older and my hearing is not as good. I blame Rock and Roll :lol:

Greg

Back
Top Bottom