Is a pin-poiner necessary"""

Not really, but a pinpoinTer is a good idea:lol:
Grammar police:police:

X2. I did go a short while without using a pinpoinTer, but once I acquired one, I've never looked back! A LOT of items we dig really blend in with the surrounding ground and a pp'Ter will really increase your recovery time! :yes:

Just buy what you can afford, cant miss it if you've never had it.

Thanks all. I am new to the hobby, so i value the opinions!!! Got my Leche tool dirty today, but still learning my machine....It will come!! HH!!

A pinpointer isn't a vital tool, but it helps a great deal. Here in Florida, the soil is loose sand, little different from the sand at the beach. I don't really need a lot of range in a pinpointer, spending $100 or more is just frivolous for what I really need. Harbor Freight sells a Centech pinpointer for under $20, and works very well for my basic needs. Spent $127.50 on a Garret Propointer, but it failed after 7 months, sent it back, great customer service. Unfortunately, the replacement only lasted 6 months, just went back to the Centech, does what I need.

Pinpointers in general, will help you locate your target in the dirt, since it's going to be visually similar. Saves you from groping dirty, which is messy, but also a little risky, even if you wear gloves. There are sharp things mixed in with the treasure, which your detector might not tell you about.

You can learn to pinpoint with you main detector, and get within an inch or two, with a little practice, using the "X-Method". After gouging a few coins, you'll want to dig a little bigger plug, just incase it's something you want to keep (greater value without the digger damage). If you are in a hurry, or into some sort of competition, spending $150 on a pinpointer might be appealing, shave a few precious second off your recovery time.

HTML:
You do not want to get into "a grammar police" thing with me...Trust me on that one......You are seriously unequipped.

Where did you get rattler headphones and why? being "new" why not use the $ on a pinpointer. I still use my apple earbuds

From a relatively new-bie (a little over a year), absolutely necessary. You can tell whether your target is at or near the surface, and makes finding so much easier when you're in the hole because you can stick it in there and poke around.

HTML:

Where did you get rattler headphones and why? being "new" why not use the $ on a pinpointer. I still use my apple earbuds
Really hunt in rattle snake country, but truly I cannot stand to NOT hear what is going around about me...I am not blaming this on military service...Just need to know.....

I say YES it is necessary if you want to enjoy the hobby. It's hard to see a penny in wood chips but a pinpointed will find it quick. You will get frustrated swinging your cool over a hole only to realize you've dug 1 inch too far left...pinpointer will help.

A pin pointer isn't necessary, but saves a lot of time and frustration. Even when you pin point well it can be difficult to locate targets that are small and the same color as the soil. But even with one, they aren't full proof.

Do a little research and decide which Pin Pointer you want. Garrett is coming out with a new one, the price of their current model has gone down. I expect that when the new model comes out others will lower their prices as well.

I will not hunt if I forget my PP. I like to hit and split or basically I want to dig, retrieve, fill and hunt as soon as possible and to do that you need a good PP. I like the Garrett but they do have a repair requirement to contend with. I have always had 2 so I can keep one in each vehicle with a detector and digger as well. Plus a backup for when they have to go visit mama at Garrett Service. Well I just bought 2 more used ones at $70 each bringing me to 4. One is due back from Garrett any day now and then I can send my headphones back for service.

Thanks all...I get frustrated digging and not finding....Still learning my machine and the hobby in general...Thanks for your responses!!!!

In all seriousness, I have left more than one hunting site because my ProPointer died and I did not have a 9-volt battery:mad:
It can get so frustrating digging 5-6-7" holes, especially in hard ground, and then not be able to retrieve the target.

Back
Top Bottom