My first encounter with police

rbstoops

Elite Member
For the last couple of years I've been detecting all over town. Yesterday I just started at the curb strip and recovered my first find (pull tab) and then I hear someone say "have you found anything?". When I look up it's a policeman. I thought here we go someone call the police on me. I walked over to his car and started talking to him, told him that I just started and got a pull tab but the last two weeks I found two silver and two v-nickels. He said " I bet you can really get hooked on doing that", I said "oh yeah". He then told me that he doesn't metal detect but he knows of a really good place for me to check out. He told me about a trading post that was once on the main creek that runs through town back in the 1700 - 1800's. He was working a case a couple of years ago and had to pull out some old papers from the safe at city hall when he came across some old maps of the city. He studied the maps and said he knows where the old trading post used to sit and he knows the person that owns the land and gave me the name. He told me that last year he had to go back there and run some kids off that were smoking weed and that he could see where the old road used to be. He said the trading post was one of the last ones that the settlers would hit before heading out west. He also said that the local Indians had a place there to trade to the settlers.
No one called the police, he just had some time and wanted to chat and clue me in on where he thought I should try. It's rainy today but I did do a drive-by and it looks very promising. I'll get in touch with the land owner Monday.

Good to hear a good report between "MD'ers and police"

In the small town I live in police would bother you unless someone called and made a complaint...They say they have better things to do (Like hanging out at the coffee shop):laughing::p Just kidding police officers:laughing:

Cops are people too! :lol: They're not "out to get us" or anything like that. I see them all the time at places I detect. I've had them turn around and pull in places I was detecting, but then they see what I'm doing and go on! Last one, I had just stood up from diggin a plug... I think he may have thought that I needed assistance since I was in the middle of a field and then stood up quickly...lol

I've never had them give suggestions, but from my experience they're not worried about us as long as we're on the up and up.

Glad to hear that your encounter went well and that you got a great lead. Hope it equates to many good finds for you!

Wow. Seems like he did the research and set you up for a permission. Mention him to the land owner almost like a reference and make sure you let him know what you find. I'm sure he'd like to know. Geez, I wonder what I can do to have the cops come and "chat" with me. :lol:

Had my own encounter the other day....first time....thought someone called them on me. Turns out he was just passing through I immediately greeted him with a cheery "good afternoon" and walked to his car. "Looking for treasure Huh...find anything? I gave him an update on what I had found along with a little local history lesson (he was about 25...so I schooled him on on some local colonial history). He was very interested, Kevin was his name...nice guy. He said Happy hunting as he pulled away.

I was in the water shed restricted area and a cop said you're not suppose to be here, but 50 yards behind us use to be a house and a school on the corner... I never said this, but my next patrol is an hour be safe. lol coolest man ever and he md's

They are just like us.

The cops are just like us treasure seekers. People tend to only remember the bad ones they meet, and unfortunately they paint the rest of us with the same brush.

I've had pretty good exp like that several times. Had one bad one when a lady that had watched too many First 48 episodes and called 911 after she saw a man go in woods with a shovel and a possible gun :shock:
I'm bent over with headphones on and look up to 4 officers surrounding me. Almost sh\£ myself. I was trying to ease off the adrenalin dump without getting upset. As I was a little upset after the shock wore off.

Twenty something officer RICHARD:What are you doing
Me: Metal detecting:roll:
O Richard We got a call that a man came in woods with a shovel and gun. Why are you back here ?
Me: I'm metal detecting.
O Richard Oh your going to be a smarta$$.
Me: no just answering your question.
He was what gives cops a bad rep. I'm nothing but respectful to any and all officers. I tried to become one when I was young as my best friend was one. It's a tough job that's hard on you mentally dealing with bad situations on a regular basis.
So he starts in on me and the senior officer tells him to ease up. So they want me to leave after asking me if I had permission from school that the woods were next to and I didn't because it's not school property it's common ground for the subdivision that surrounds it.
So as we walk out 100-150 yds Richard is constantly giving me a hard time. I went straight to the station but couldn't make myself go in as it's a small town that's well known the cops are jerks. Retaliation could be bad. I hate it but sometimes your better to grin and bare it.
I'm rambling as my knees were hurting and I took a pain pill that has me chatty.
HH to all

Man that is a sweet encounter.. Hope the tip pays off big time but either way you found a good person to become friends with. GL&HH.

I've had a couple officers stop and talk to me wanting to know if I found anything. They were interested in learning more about metal detecting so I spent a little time with them. I offered to let them try my spare sometime but so far I haven't heard from them. Maybe when the weather gets better I'll see them again.

Cliff

Wow! Nice guy, you sure lucked out...

he did say he was interested in metal detecting didn't he? Well I would have offered to let him come along on the hunt since he did the bulk of the research and got the permission and I'd even let him use my main detector if I didn't have a backup I would offer to do the digging for him.

Sounds like a great place and a nice guy to give you the info !!! Hope you find lots of good stuff and post up some photos for us to see.

There are some GREAT officers that are genuine and are interested in our hobby and then there are the others. I have probably had more run in's with the police than most on here. I have received three citations and all three have been dismissed. One I even demanded.

Most officers do not want to bother you. Then you have an exception that has nothing better to do.

I am always polite BUT I will never back down. The worst encounter I ever had the officer threatened me with a ticket for a bent license plate to towing my truck. I told him go ahead and tow it. I will wait for the tow truck. (I was diving and parked on a public road)

The best encounter I had was where the person that called was taken to jail.

Glad some of you have met awesome officers. I thought I was a very good one. My boss, well that is a different story.

The only encounters I have had they really just drive by and wave. so, lucky I guess as long as i'm not bothering anyone no biggie.

Greg

Cops are people too! :lol: They're not "out to get us" or anything like that. I see them all the time at places I detect. I've had them turn around and pull in places I was detecting, but then they see what I'm doing and go on! Last one, I had just stood up from diggin a plug... I think he may have thought that I needed assistance since I was in the middle of a field and then stood up quickly...lol

I've never had them give suggestions, but from my experience they're not worried about us as long as we're on the up and up.

Glad to hear that your encounter went well and that you got a great lead. Hope it equates to many good finds for you!

The cops here are pretty cool, I've seen many when I'm at the park and as they drive by I also wave. The town here has a population of almost 3,000. Part is in Missouri and the other part is in Oklahoma. There are several different tribal land and I do know some of the tribal police. The officer that stopped yesterday just wanted to chat. He said that he doesn't metal detect but made the comment "I bet it easy to get hooked on it". I showed him my f2 and how it works and that is when he started telling me about the trading post. About one hour after he left is when I found the Indian Head penny..

I've had several encounters with the police while MD and, thankfully, never a bad one. (I'm not smart enough to just keep my mouth shut. ) This past year while detecting a fairgrounds in a neighboring county I had the sheriff pull up just as I ground balanc3d. We chated a few minutes and he told me about a lady losing a dimond ring. I asked if he knew who she was as I would be glad to return it if I found it. He laughed and told me to just hit the nearest pawn shop. Told me good luck and have fun and drove away.

I've seen the police while detecting a few times. The last couple of times they have just stopped to watch for a short bit and then leave. I haven't been approached yet, but I'm not dreading it.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom