Etrac vs. XS

dcturtle

Well I put my buddies new E-trac to my XS.:D I thought I was using a beeper with a stick.:shock: He spent 3 days studing the manual and playing with it. The results:

Beach: Hands down kicked my but. We buried pennies, dimes, silver dime and wifes ring (she did not know). We buried them at 3-11". Wet and dry sand. Etac had clearer tones, louder tones and no problem pin pointing. In fact after he dug the dime at 11" in wet sand he got another signal 3" below it. Mind you the hole was open but he got a very, very cruddie what we think is a nickel.

Ball field: He follwed behind me and picked up a 44 wheat at an easy 10" that I got no signal on.:?: I used the stock XS coil. The ground unfortunatly was so hard he had signals we could not did, today, but rain is a comin.

Trash Area: This was a toss up. He was able to pinpoint a little better, but I did not use 5" coil.

Weight- Etrac wins hands down.

response speed: Really I do not hear a differance.

Ease of Use- Have some spare time to experiment. You may need an engineering degree. Good news is as others toy with it also you can share programs. This is my favorite part. I thought there was a learning curve with XS the Etrac is NOT for the impatient.

I do like the swingbelt option and straight arm coil. Reduces weight alot.

Make this into a waterproof version and I can quit my job.:lol:

Overall 41/2 out of 5.

For minelab lovers it is heaven, for the anti-ML people they will have a plethera to complain about but little to defend their toys with.

I will have more comparisons with him soon, and some pics of his machine "vaccuming the ground it goes over".

Some other things to try in the next experiment is when he knows he has a coin or other item without disturbing the ground try and up-tune your detector so that maybe you can find/hear it. I would assume that you can raise the sens. and other needed adjustments on your XS??

Some other things to try in the next experiment is when he knows he has a coin or other item without disturbing the ground try and up-tune your detector so that maybe you can find/hear it. I would assume that you can raise the sens. and other needed adjustments on your XS??

Sorry let me clearify. I set my detector to factory preset as did he.

Its apples v oranges here.

The E-Trac is louder but for the rest its a comparison thats weighted against the older Explorers as the same coils have not been used.
The Pro coil is a little deeper than the old XS stock coil but not as deep as the new SEF.
The Pro coil also pinpoints better.
Pre sets can't be compared between the two machines.

Try a Pro coil on an older Explorer and then set both machines to perform at their best on the same site and there's little difference. Now go into heavy iron and the E-Trac suddenly does seem a real step forward.
Whether its worth the extra money over perhaps just a coil upgrade depends on the sites you work.

Last edited:
a signal at 14" on the beach :shock: thats quite deep! I wonder if the recovery speed is the same on the e-trac or is it a little faster.

a signal at 14" on the beach :shock: thats quite deep! I wonder if the recovery speed is the same on the e-trac or is it a little faster.

I do not think that recovery sped is noticable between any high end detectors, I think tghat is all a marketing ploy.

A fast recovery speed is one of the essential things to check before buying any detector unless you never detect in high trash areas.

Very easy to check with a few coins and iron nails.

The success of XP Goldmaxx in Europe was the fast recovery speed that allowed the working of high iron sites without the need to remove the iron first. They are not super deep detectors but allowed the good stuff to be heard between the iron whilst the multifrequency machines are in a state of permanent null.
T2 and F75 match the Goldmaxx recovery rate and are more versatile so have taken a large chunk of what would have been XP sales.

The Etrac looks very cool and sounds like it performs well but the price is pretty high. Need to find a few more rings before thinking about this one.:spin:

Back
Top Bottom