"Help" I need suggestions..

Lightningjack

Forum Supporter
I need some good suggestions on getting permision..After a few years of researching I finally narrowed down a large civil war camp site of over 200 soldiers to a big farmers field, I've always been horrible at getting permission on private land from strangers..Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated..This is a once in a lifetime chance for me & I don't want to blow it..:grin:

I would go see the owners in person, make sure to be dressed half-way decent and be friendly, respectful etc. If they say no, make sure you thank them and be sure to ask them again next year.

Since you've done so much homework on this particular site, I would bring a bunch of the research with me and let the person know if he doesn't already. You might find that when they aren't aware of stuff like that, it peaks their curiousity as well.

I'm brand new to MDing and have met with pretty good success asking for permission so far. I always offer to give/share what I find with them if it's a personal item.

I research and ask for permission to hunt deer on properties all the time, and I've just been taking the same approach I do with that. Although, I usually get told no for deer hunting...

Good luck

Yacorie has some good tips. You may want to offer to split the finds 50/50 with him. Also, you might want to reassure him that you won't publicize your finds or report it to the government (unless he wants to do that). Farmers and ranchers tend to be concerned about the possibility of the government coming in and taking their land or limiting what they can do with it. It is possible he'll get scared that if you make archaelogical finds the state could get involved.

Timing may be important too. You'll probably need to do this when it won't interefere with crops. That probably means now or in the spring after the thaw but before planting begins.

He may say no even if you do everything perfectly, so don't think you did it wrong if things don't work out.

Thank you all for the advice, I'm just kinda shy I guess & mainly just hunt co-workers/friends land & public sites..I appreciate the help..:)

Man, this sounds like a perfect setting: a high chance of getting good targets, and you don't have to worry about messing up someone's lawn! I agree with all the ideas above. Here's another twist that's worked for me (for MD and fishing, too). Is there anything that you can do that would make them glad to see you? If you have any hobbies that would allow a friendship to develope (if you tie flies for fishing, ask if they'd want some. If you enjoy woodworking, some small knick knack would be appreciated). You could offer to fix a fence, prune some trees, etc. There's a fine line between coming across as helpful and seeming like you're criticizing their property, but over the years, I've been on other people's property when others were kept out. Good luck! Curt

permission

It is very hard to get permission from land owners to dig on there property.I have told land owners of homes that I would clean up some of the organic debrea on the property,for a chance to metal detect and I still get turned down.I believe it is due to the liabilities.Maybe you can find some sort of official waver that can protect the owner of the property in case you are injurred on there land.Too bad there are folks out there that will abuse situations like being on others property to sue property owners.

I've been asking permission all week long at various places, I've decided to "just do it" rather than drive by all these sweet spots all the time and wish. Introduce yourself, tell them where you live, explain your hobby to them and assure them that no damage is done. Some folks are hesitant at first and may say no, but if you meet up with them again in the future, say in town or elsewhere, they may feel more comfortable the second time seeing you. You have nothing to lose by asking. As a matter of fact, getting permission is kind of like playing the lottery - you can't win if you don't play.

Although, I usually get told no for deer hunting...

Good luck

Try hunting in Montana (an out of state license will cost you, though). I was stationed there for 5 years in the Air Force and never got denied permission to hunt on someone's land (my military haircut and ID card may have helped). :D

Dusty

Best thing in my opinion is to tell the truth and be honest. Explain your situation. Tell them their might be significant historical finds on their property that you would love to look for. You'll discard any trash you find, and replace everything as you found it (sod, etc). Tell them you're doing a personal history project in the area/state and you'd like to record whatever you find. Just be genuine.

I guess its like asking girls out when you are single. If you ask you might get turned down by 5 out of 10, but if you don't ask any because your afraid of rejection you will stay single. 50% rejection is better than 0% success.:yes:

Alright everything that is being said here is awesome advice. I really like the part about bringing your research with you and letting them know how important their land is. But the best peice of advice I can give you is "Business Cards". I know this sounds corny but my wife made me some as a joke but they really work.They say "Relic hunter" and "Amature Historian". First off you sound more legit, they are more likely to look at you as someone that is serious about the hobby instead of just some guy who wants to put holes in their yard. Also if they say no give them a card and maybe they will call you if they change their mind... thats just my 2 cents

Kolb your my best bud but ur a dork lol i'll have mine soon enough lol but I will say that he is right. It does make you look like you really want to be professional about it.

Kolb your my best bud but ur a dork lol i'll have mine soon enough lol but I will say that he is right. It does make you look like you really want to be professional about it.

HAHA your just mad because when we go to exchange numbers with people you struggle to find a pen and paper and I whip out my awesome Cards!!! lol Just kidding buddy!

I had another member suggest I try knocking on a few other older home sites before going to this particular one, practice makes perfect...:lol: The business card is a good idea too..

start with your neighbors yard first... ask them for permission, whether you actually MD their yard or not, its the approach and the delivery.

If you're nervous, people will sense that and your answer will most likely be a 'no'.

start with your neighbors yard first... ask them for permission, whether you actually MD their yard or not, its the approach and the delivery.

If you're nervous, people will sense that and your answer will most likely be a 'no'.

I'm thinking of hitting up a 1870's Victorian home with a guest house for the servants & several acres of land up the road that I've had my eye on for about 10 years, It was just recently auctioned off to a younger couple in the last few months..:grin: They have a car for sale in there yard, thought I could use that as a reason to approach them then spring the question on them about detecting..Or is that aiming to high for a starter..:roll:

From experience I find that younger couples are more cautious about saying yes... unless you're an 'older' generation than they are. Without knowing your age, it's one of those things you just kind of need to go for when you feel ready.

Your approach is your approach, but put yourself in their shoes and find a way in that would be comfortable for them.

I got rejected the other day, I introduced myself and asked if I could search the field. I instantly got a firm NO. I said well thank you for your time and have a nice day. Never know , we may run into each other in the future and she may have a change of heart.

Back
Top Bottom