Too Bad - Dangerous Park

A CARRY PERMIT won't help if you don't see "it" coming. Detecting and self defense both rely on concentration. To divide your attention 2 ways serves neither well. Move on, the rewards aren't worth it.

Here ya go...

I think the area covered in this video is bigger than some states...

<*)))>{

Heard awhile back that the city of Detroit is advertising properties to the Chinese at $1K per home and they are gobbling them up. Imagine that, Chinese investors from China step in and save Detroit :roll:

A CARRY PERMIT won't help if you don't see "it" coming. Detecting and self defense both rely on concentration. To divide your attention 2 ways serves neither well. Move on, the rewards aren't worth it.

Umm you are wrong in the sense that you need to pay close attention when detecting to your detecting. I always keep my head on a swivel and pay attention to my surroundings at all times. It is something you need to teach yourself to do. It is a necessity this day and age for everything you do. Never zone out not even on your couch. I also hunt with 1 headphone or ear buds that do not block out all my background noise.

I tend to hunt rural wooded area's , when the bugs get bad , I find other fun and relaxing things to do. To hunt a area around a bunch of dirt bags and city trash would never make my list of things to do on any day. For me the reward is getting out to enjoy a remote home site ,beach or park . The " Treasure " we find is secondary . It would take a lot more than all the finds on this forum to get me to hunt a place like that and I would not enjoy the hunt .
Stay Safe and enjoy the Hobby
HH

I've hunted parks in Detroit, and the biggest two problems I encountered were security for my vehicle and the amount of buried garbage. The amount of buried metal trash is unbelievable in some of these poorly maintained urban parks and it makes detecting nearly impossible! Just imagine a park where the garbage overflows from the cans (If there are any cans) and then a couple times per summer a mow crew comes through and shreds it to a million pieces. Times that by the last 2 decades and you basically have a full 2" level of nothing but undetectable ground.

The only places where I have had moderate success is when they were doing major construction in one of the more popular Detroit city parks. V nickels right on top of the ground! :D Unfortunately, the bulldozer worked faster than I did and by my next hunt it was all under fresh soil and hydroseed. :no:

It's a shame.
White flight to the suburbs after the riots in the 60s.
Corrupt politicians and burocratic bungling as the norm.

Is tempting tho.... No permission needed most places and plenty of history.

Corrupt politicians is redundant. Just saying! :grin:

It is pretty amazing the square miles of history that is literally returning to the dirt... The video really doesn't even show the worst/best areas but there is not much to look at, except one of every 80 houses that hasn't been burned down yet...

<*)))>{

Just like Gary, Indiana 35 miles west of me...Almost every neighborhood riddled with empty shells of homes or burnt-out homes , many formerly beautiful 1920s-era. There was even a Frank Lloyd Wright house, which is rubble now too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PKgVuMEWgY

I tend to hunt rural wooded area's , when the bugs get bad , I find other fun and relaxing things to do. To hunt a area around a bunch of dirt bags and city trash would never make my list of things to do on any day. For me the reward is getting out to enjoy a remote home site ,beach or park . The " Treasure " we find is secondary . It would take a lot more than all the finds on this forum to get me to hunt a place like that and I would not enjoy the hunt .
Stay Safe and enjoy the Hobby
HH

Yeper, totaly agree.

I agree with what has been said.

Go in the morning as the thug gangster types... are extremely lazy and will still be in bed.

Go with a friend.

I have metal detected around my share of homeless people sleeping on the ground. Never had a problem.

Most of the shootings you hear of are gang on gang or drug related... so just mind your own business and you should be alright.

My biggest worry is my car and where to park it.

Banshee, I'm in Ct and stick to parks in the outskirts. I look for small areas that maybe overlooked. I enjoy hunting alone but bring a friend with his ET Pro sometimes.
Its really a shame though here in Ct with the history and many of us are skiddish about hunting a city park due to unpleasant elements.

We have a couple of parks that I SHOULDN'T be hitting, but I've found like others have said. "Morning time" is the time to go. Not even like 2-5am because they will still be out, but from like 6-9am. It's only a bunch of harmless bums walking around trying to avoid the same thing, The gangsters that hassle them and pick on them for sport.

I am starting to pack my ATP with me for night hunts in the city because I just can't get comfortable swinging the CTX with that "what if feeling" kicking me in the back while I'm trying to work. I'd much rather lose my ATP than my CTX. Albeit, whoever chose to go down that road would have one hell of a fight on their hands, I'm far from retarded and if it's my life or a machine you can take the machine.

Back
Top Bottom