My Attempt At Ring Hunting Vs Coin Hunting

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
Skippy (The Ringhunter) recently posted a thread contrasting Ring hunting vs Coinshooting. Today I went on a hour or so hunt targeting rings. I dug any good sounding 40 and above signal on my AT Max. I concentrated on digging a lot more of the lower mid tones that I have gotten into the habit of walking over. On this hunt, I targeted a large, recently built (within the last 10 years) soccer field/park. I concentrated on the sidelines and where I thought the coaches and players may have placed their stuff while playing. Here are my results. I did dig much more zincs and can slaw than I usually dig. I was surprised that many of the lower tone signals were nickels rather than garbage.!

15 canslaw/foil
2 bottle caps
3 poptops
2 keys
2 quarters
2 dimes
18 zinc Penny's
5 nickels
1 sweet silver ring

This was the first hunt that I dug more nickels than quarters and dimes combined.!

Attachments

• 20180712_131354_resized.jpg
    20180712_131354_resized.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 235
  • 20180712_112950_resized.jpg
    20180712_112950_resized.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 20180712_112959_resized.jpg
    20180712_112959_resized.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 212
  • 20180712_131421_resized.jpg
    20180712_131421_resized.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 206
If you count the zincs and keys as junk that's 40 bad digs and 10 good ones. 4:1. Kind of bad odds, but you found a ring!!!

If you count the zincs and keys as junk that's 40 bad digs and 10 good ones. 4:1. Kind of bad odds, but you found a ring!!!

Right. I think I could have found more quarters and dimes if I hadn't dug all those lower signals in the short time I had. Trying to increase my gold ring chances. Surprisingly, that silver ring hit just below what a clad dime does. I may have walked over it thinking it was a zinc penny.

Love the ring. Nice find, I have a similar spot that I was just thinking about too. Havent been there in a while but I try to hit it during the summer when its not used by the school and such but there is a lot of trash so its hard to deal with.

that's a nice Mormon ring.. it is like the 4th one I have seen on here in the last week or so.. what's going on with all the lost CTR rings?

what the heck Keep em Coming and again NICE find !!

that's a nice Mormon ring.. it is like the 4th one I have seen on here in the last week or so.. what's going on with all the lost CTR rings?

what the heck Keep em Coming and again NICE find !!

I think I posted all of them. Haha. This is the heaviest one I've found. I usually score the tiny girly ones.

I dig most everything except if an area is covered up with tabs and or bottle tops. I accept losing gold in that range to keep from digging that much trash. Solid foil signals and up otherwise.

BCD

Congrats on the ring! My junk pile is usually bigger than yours, but that's what it takes to find gold...and it will come if you keep digging those low conductors. I just recently did a hunt where I was looking for silver only and only dug one piece of junk but I still couldn't resist and dug 4 nickels which I was pretty sure were nickels...that one piece of junk I thought was a nickel too. I can see how guys looking for old, silver coins pass up gold rings. You also have to take into account what environment you're searching. If at an old house the chance of gold is less than say a ballfield or park I would think. Also less chance for pulltabs and such at an old house than a modern park so if you have a low conductor that rings in solid, you better dig!

This Sport certainly is a Study! Thanks for the details of your finds, location chosen, your intent on this hunt...etc...Success!

Thats the cool thing about this Forum, all the freely shared experiences and tips to make us all Better and more productive Hunters! :beers:

I did the same thing this morning, at a school sports field area. Started by the track starting line; an area I have already cherry picked the quarters and dimes. Seventh target dug was a ring that gave the signal of a copper penny. I thought for sure it was that first gold ever, stamped, and with a diamond too! It wasn't until I rinsed it at home, that I could see all the spots where the plating came off. Stamped CHINA. So sad...but I did find a ring! The next couple hours produced lots of scrap and some clad. Skippy's methods work; but it ain't easy.

Attachments

• DSCN7246.jpg
    DSCN7246.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN7245.jpg
    DSCN7245.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCN7242.jpg
    DSCN7242.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 115
Back
Top Bottom