I've been detecting for ______ and I've never found a ______

I really can't accurately say how long I've been detecting. A lot the last several years but occasionally the last 20 years. Anything worth mentioning would be from the last several years. I have found a silver dollar,seated dimes and a lot of things in between. I see that you have an Ace 250 as I do. If you can get on older residential lots and have your machine set to where you are digging everything except the small can slaw you should be able to find old coins.

When I see that someone is not finding stuff I think they are not where the stuff should be or they are being too choosy on what signals to dig. I also realize that if a person is mainly doing city parks or someones yard they may have to be a little more careful. Do a lot of digging when you have the chance. It looks like you are doing good on the gold and the .925:yes:

Two and a half years. No platinum. And no Barber or SL quarters yet either. :no2: or walkers or seateds or......the list gets pretty long. But, sure have found a lot of good stuff though. :cool:

No platinum here either. I did recently find a Play Money 5 dated 1974 with English and Spanish stamping in it. Those don't come along every day either. I'll probably find out it is worth more than a seated dime. Stranger things have happened. :yes:

I’ve been detecting on and off since 1974. Started out with a Fisher 1220X, sold the Fisher and went up to an X-80 Challenger. Had pretty good success during the times I was using each of them. Being in the military at the time I had to sell the Challenger due to an unplanned baby and some financial hard times.

I took a couple of year’s break from detecting, during which time I retired from the military and got a pretty decent job. I bought a Garrett Workhorse and used that for a number of years, sold it and bought a Garrett GTI 1500, and I also own an AT Pro.

To get to the point, I can say there were times when nothing escaped my coil and my pouch was full, and there were many times when I wondered why I was wasting my time. The one thing I found was, the days I found a lot of things were the days I had invested the time to research the history of the area I was going to search. I feel that this is important to the type of hunting you want to do. If it’s relic hunting, you might spent 2 to 3 hours of research of the area to every hour you spend in the field searching. If it’s modern day items, you may have to go out to an area and observe the traffic of people, when the greater numbers congregate, or footpaths they travel. Understanding human nature plays a big part in looking where to hunt

When I was in the military I used to go to a local High School that was close to may home, walking distance to be exact. While there I noticed trash cans placed in strategic areas and the school grounds that were provided for the students that smoked. Glad to see the times have changed and that isn’t allowed any more. Even though there were cans provided for the butts, they were thrown all over the place. I said to myself, with this many buts thrown on the ground there has to be a large gathering of people. I hunted the area and came away with over 100 or more pennies, most all were found on the surface under folded grass. I didn’t really have to dig at all. I guess these kids either were dropping them left and right, or they were throwing them at one another. I later found out they called pennies Brownies and I suppose it was un-cool to have them so they threw them at one another. I used to go to these spots at least once a week and lo and behold, I found as many that week as I did the week before.

I guess my real point here is, knowing human nature and researching the areas you are going to hunt will provide you a greater chance of finding more valuable items. Btw, I did find my first Senior Ring that I was able to return to the girl that lost it, even before she graduated. Stick with it and don’t become discouraged, better days are yet to come. Good Hunting

For a year and one month. No seated or barber or franklin halves. No shield nickle or fatty injun

Minelab CTX Dirty30-Teknetics T2 Se

1 year, 4 months, 16 days, 174 hunts

Yet to find:

Silver quarter, half, IH, Buff, V, Barber, gold nugget, any coin older than 1941, plat, gold coin, Morgan, 22k anything

Happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom