Zippo Skin Flint

Mud-puppy

Forum Supporter
Its very important for a Man to be able to make fire. As tough as we think we are, we are no match to this Planet...We are so fragile, if a guy cant make a fire, you wont last long on this inhospitable and dangerous sphere!...

Anyway, probably one of the all time best inventions in History is the Zippo lighter!....And we as detectorists do find them along with many working or dead modern butanes...I lost my Zippo fire this am, due to a worn out flint, and did a quick and free fix utilizing a found but gasless butane that was rolling around in my trunk along with a load of trash and Hotwheel cars......

The Flints seem to be all standardized, so even if a butane you find has no gas but still throws a spark, it has VALUE to Firemakers!! Especially if you have a Zippo, heres a handy little tip that may save your life....depicted in the following self explanatory pictures...Ya see that little flint in the center photo? The little thing right below the 'J' in Javier?

It only takes about a minute and can be performed with no tools at all if you have to...just use the lid of the Zippo for a screwdriver, and your hands to free the flint out of the butane... .

On this Planet, For a Man to survive, whether you smoke or not, You MUST be able to make a fire!...All the rest of the things we acquire are merely needless but comfortable accessories...

So Gentlemen, 'Smoke if you got em!'... or at least have a light ready for somebody else if you dont...the ability to make a fire is magical...not many Humans now a days can do it, you should practice and know at least a half dozen disciplines ...just try making an 'old school fire' by hand one time...without matches that is...you really appreciate flints and Zippos after that attempt by golly...!:laughing:.

Mud

Attachments

• skin flint 2.jpg
    skin flint 2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 689
  • skin flint1.jpg
    skin flint1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 672
  • skin flint.jpg
    skin flint.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 663
Last edited:
Done this exact same thing at least a few times myself with different refillable/reflintable lighters. Thanks for sharing, Mud!!

This is why I pick up all lighters I come across out there, working or not.
I have found tons that are still full, people just lost those, but also many that were empty.
If there is a wheel on top I know full well of the little treasure that lies within and I haven't bought a pack of flints in years...not that I can't afford the less than a dollar cost for a whole new pack.
Some have to be cut down before you use them and they are tough little buggers, some are extra long and I have no idea why they would need something that would way outlast the butane load but hey, one long one equals two short but useable ones.

A little tip mud....lift the end of the felt topper and just stash a few under it on top of the cotton filling.
You will always have some handy and the fluid won't affect them in the slightest.

Last edited:
A little tip mud....lift the end of the felt topper and just stash a few under it on top of the cotton filling.
You will always have some handy and the fluid won't affect them in the slightest.

Now THATS one Awesome hell of an infield fix it tip there D! I knew you would be along on this thread with something great!
Mud

Did you solder the Mercury on yours? Here is one of mine that I soldered a cut out Indian on from a nickel. I did it one day when I got bored at work.
Z1.jpg

Did you solder the Mercury on yours? Here is one of mine that I soldered a cut out Indian on from a nickel. I did it one day when I got bored at work.
View attachment 369546

Silversmith! Thats Beautiful! I just used some sort of 'Superglue gel' the Wife has around here for some of her project thingys...I could pop the dime right off I bet if I heated up the case under the lighter flame...
Mud

Silversmith! Thats Beautiful! I just used some sort of 'Superglue gel' the Wife has around here for some of her project thingys...I could pop the dime right off I bet if I heated up the case under the lighter flame...
Mud

I just used some low temp silver solder that I had on hand. All it takes is a small torch and some liquid flux. I cut the Indian out with a jeweler's saw. The lighter wasn't new so I didn't have anything to lose.

Nice Zippos guys!!! Here is my grandpas Zippo I got when he died.....has a 1921 Morgan dollar soldered on it....he was born in 1921......

Attachments

• received_10208953150480560.jpeg
    received_10208953150480560.jpeg
    10.9 KB · Views: 563
The Zippo "click" is one of "those sounds". Excellent tip. Doc Holiday

Now THATS one Awesome hell of an infield fix it tip there D! I knew you would be along on this thread with something great!
Mud

I just finished reading "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche", great little 1982 book my daughter got for me at the library, and honestly Mud, you were the first guy I thought of!
This is what I consider to be Real Men stuff:yes:

Back
Top Bottom