XP Deus and No Numbers

Greek2Me

Forum Supporter
Hey everyone, for people using the Deus. How do you know what to dig when there are no numbers on the screen? I am confused by the settings and deep pulltabs sound like coins to me. The Barber quarter I dug yesterday hit 92 93 on the screen a few times, that's really the only reason I dug it. The tone was there but the numbers were intermittent.

Any tips for those targets that are 10+ inches?

Thanks!
G2M

Hey everyone, for people using the Deus. How do you know what to dig when there are no numbers on the screen? I am confused by the settings and deep pulltabs sound like coins to me. The Barber quarter I dug yesterday hit 92 93 on the screen a few times, that's really the only reason I dug it. The tone was there but the numbers were intermittent.

Thanks!
G2M

In my experience, on deep targets you are not going to get any kind of reliable, if any, numbers on the screen. You have already learned that it is more about tone on deep targets.

For deeper targets, you can raise your sensitivity, lower the reactivity, silencer at -1. That would be a start. . Maybe tnsharpshooter will chime in here with some better info.

Last edited:

Thanks!
G2M

A very good question.

I will try to answer the best I can.

Now this information is to be used as a guide,,,due to variable involved.

Deus TID,, what drives it, or make it display the way it does??

First and foremost running the detector with higher sensitivity I. E. in the 90 plus range will help machine give realistic TID on deeper targets,,, but this is also coupled with reactivity setting and silencer setting, and possibly freq setting.

And don't forget target size, and soil mineralization can affect as well.

So what does all this mean???

Most of the time more accurate TID can be ascertained with lower reactivity settings like 0 and 1 with silencer at -1 setting--- and with a freq more matched with the conductivity of the target in question.
Higher freqs for lower conductors and lower freqs for higher conductors.

Now even with the " best" settings to potentially provide somewhat accurate TID on deeper targets--- once a target reaches a certain depth depending on target size and soil mineralization--- the TID will not be displayed accurately, can read high 90s to no TID reading at all.

Now remember when these deep targets are discovered--- the tone heard will be dependent on what tone freq you have the upper end of the vdiTID spectrum assigned...most folks assign higher or the highest tone freq to this " upper end" spectrum.

Now remember there are no absolutes -- meaning it is entirely possible for the TID/ Vdi to read just slightly higher than actual-- this based on my experience is not the norm,,,meaning on the deeper targets,, TID Reading will go mid to high 90s range.

Here is some thing else to be aware of.

Using notch on the Deus.

Consider the following example.

In 12 kHz a nickel reads approx 56 Vdi/TID.

And some pull tabs can read in this range as well.

So what if a person in fact when hunting an older site with modern trash-- say they go ahead and notch out 0-60 --- to get rid of a lot of junk targets.

What if an op does this and hunt a site like I mentioned--- depending on your settings--- these settings will drive how the Deus reports the targets,, or doesn't report the targets.

An example for the above--- shallower nickels will not be heard-- they are notched out,,, but once a nickel gets so deep it will start reporting high range Vei/TID and if an op has the upper end spectrum TID/ Vdi assigned a higher tone--- a higher tone will in fact be heard on the deeper nickel

And any other deeper lower conductors will ring up a higher tone as well.

So for a site where dirt has been added or moved around-- if modern trash was infact altered depth wise by this moved or added dirt-- an op would have a hard time using notch to make a better decision to dig or not.

Here is where is can be difficult to hunt with Deus based on the info I provided.
Take a 22 long rifle fired case--- small things like this,, it doesn't take as much depth for them to ring high tone vs say a coin sized object

Now remember the horseshoe shading can provide some clue to depth-- but target size here can give op false impression

I hope this info helps.
When I am in an old site--- I will dig all targets that provide high tone and no TID/ Vdi and even the targets reading mid and higher level numbers.

Just remember iron wrap can cause mid, high 90/ readings,, but the tone on the iron wrap signals more blunt sounding-- not as smooth and sweet sounding like on a good nonferrous.

Some estimations-- just a guide of sorts I've seen (11" coil)

Take Deus run sensivity at 93, reactivity 1, silencer -1 , freq 12 kHz
Most coins say dimes and penny size in my slightly higher than medium mineralized soil--- good tid/Vdi provided down to 8"- 8.5"

Now if I back the reactivity up to level 2 -- the distance is more like 7.5-8"
And go to reactivity level 3 --- distance decreases to around 7"

And when in iron TID/Vdi readings on good nonferrous targets can read from 0-10 -- this on target that are heavily masked,,, but these targets will indeed provide higher tone than the iron tone.

I should say this to avoid confusion--- I reference the terms TID and VDI above

Depending on the scenario the number displayed in the Deus' screen can be an actual Vdi number--- based on the target's conductivity or it can be an unusually low number--- or an unusually high number,,and this high number is not a Vdi reference number at all--- rather just a reference number the Deus uses to calculate the tone provided

It was intentionally engineered this way--- for fear of inaccurate Vdi numbers would cause an op to pass on when detected vs digging the suspect deeper targets.

I don't know if version 4.0 Xp that's in the works will indeed change this operational characteristic

Only time will tell.

Hope this helps

A very good question.

I will try to answer the best I can.

Now this information is to be used as a guide,,,due to variable involved.

Deus TID,, what drives it, or make it display the way it does??

First and foremost running the detector with higher sensitivity I. E. in the 90 plus range will help machine give realistic TID on deeper targets,,, but this is also coupled with reactivity setting and silencer setting, and possibly freq setting.

And don't forget target size, and soil mineralization can affect as well.

So what does all this mean???

Most of the time more accurate TID can be ascertained with lower reactivity settings like 0 and 1 with silencer at -1 setting--- and with a freq more matched with the conductivity of the target in question.
Higher freqs for lower conductors and lower freqs for higher conductors.

Now even with the " best" settings to potentially provide somewhat accurate TID on deeper targets--- once a target reaches a certain depth depending on target size and soil mineralization--- the TID will not be displayed accurately, can read high 90s to no TID reading at all.

Now remember when these deep targets are discovered--- the tone heard will be dependent on what tone freq you have the upper end of the vdiTID spectrum assigned...most folks assign higher or the highest tone freq to this " upper end" spectrum.

Now remember there are no absolutes -- meaning it is entirely possible for the TID/ Vdi to read just slightly higher than actual-- this based on my experience is not the norm,,,meaning on the deeper targets,, TID Reading will go mid to high 90s range.

Here is some thing else to be aware of.

Using notch on the Deus.

Consider the following example.

In 12 kHz a nickel reads approx 56 Vdi/TID.

And some pull tabs can read in this range as well.

So what if a person in fact when hunting an older site with modern trash-- say they go ahead and notch out 0-60 --- to get rid of a lot of junk targets.

What if an op does this and hunt a site like I mentioned--- depending on your settings--- these settings will drive how the Deus reports the targets,, or doesn't report the targets.

An example for the above--- shallower nickels will not be heard-- they are notched out,,, but once a nickel gets so deep it will start reporting high range Vei/TID and if an op has the upper end spectrum TID/ Vdi assigned a higher tone--- a higher tone will in fact be heard on the deeper nickel

And any other deeper lower conductors will ring up a higher tone as well.

So for a site where dirt has been added or moved around-- if modern trash was infact altered depth wise by this moved or added dirt-- an op would have a hard time using notch to make a better decision to dig or not.

Here is where is can be difficult to hunt with Deus based on the info I provided.
Take a 22 long rifle fired case--- small things like this,, it doesn't take as much depth for them to ring high tone vs say a coin sized object

Now remember the horseshoe shading can provide some clue to depth-- but target size here can give op false impression

I hope this info helps.
When I am in an old site--- I will dig all targets that provide high tone and no TID/ Vdi and even the targets reading mid and higher level numbers.

Just remember iron wrap can cause mid, high 90/ readings,, but the tone on the iron wrap signals more blunt sounding-- not as smooth and sweet sounding like on a good nonferrous.

Some estimations-- just a guide of sorts I've seen (11" coil)

Take Deus run sensivity at 93, reactivity 1, silencer -1 , freq 12 kHz
Most coins say dimes and penny size in my slightly higher than medium mineralized soil--- good tid/Vdi provided down to 8"- 8.5"

Now if I back the reactivity up to level 2 -- the distance is more like 7.5-8"
And go to reactivity level 3 --- distance decreases to around 7"

And when in iron TID/Vdi readings on good nonferrous targets can read from 0-10 -- this on target that are heavily masked,,, but these targets will indeed provide higher tone than the iron tone.

I should say this to avoid confusion--- I reference the terms TID and VDI above

Depending on the scenario the number displayed in the Deus' screen can be an actual Vdi number--- based on the target's conductivity or it can be an unusually low number--- or an unusually high number,,and this high number is not a Vdi reference number at all--- rather just a reference number the Deus uses to calculate the tone provided

It was intentionally engineered this way--- for fear of inaccurate Vdi numbers would cause an op to pass on when detected vs digging the suspect deeper targets.

I don't know if version 4.0 Xp that's in the works will indeed change this operational characteristic

Only time will tell.

Hope this helps

Thanks a ton tnsharpshooter! I appreciate the info. The notch feature you are talking about. I guess that explains why I had 50 to 70 notched out and the v nickel hit up in the 80s and sounded off clean.

G2M

Last edited:
Thanks a ton tnsharpshooter! I appreciate the info. The notch feature you are talking about. I guess that explains why I had 50 to 70 notched out and the v nickel hit up in the 80s and sounded off clean.

G2M

Yep, that is why.

And folks need to understand.
In air test this won't work.
The soil has to be a player for it to work.

Back
Top Bottom